#1 18-09-09 16:27:37

deathis@hotmail.co.uk

BMW 1 series

any views i think it could be a pupil puller

18-09-09 16:27:37

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: BMW 1 series

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 18-09-09 16:36:18

samds
Verified Member
Website

I really don't believe the car pulls in pupils.

We have a 3 series for the family and might change to the 1 series as an auto next year to combine work and family.

I think once you've owned a BMW you're totally sold on it, until the snow comes of course then you don't go anywhere.

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

#3 18-09-09 21:19:06

adi
Verified Member
Website

A couple of guys using BMW's here have recently changed to Fiestas. And as for being busy with the BMW's, no busier than anyone else.

#4 19-09-09 19:40:28

amby
Verified Member

Hi Rinewind,

I have a BMW 1 and I have to say it is a great car. I had a VW Golf GT Tdi before this and decided against the new golf for this car.  My pupils love it.

I also do instructor training with this car and it is brill.  The down sides to the car are the space, it isn't quite as spacious as the golf, but unfortunately the new golf just didn't sway me enough to have another one.

If you like this car go and have a test drive.  I don't think that you will not get along with it!!! 8-)

DSA ADI (Car), Cardington Grade 'A', Fleet Registered, 7303 Teaching Certificate.
Ordit Registered
Instructor Training Parts 1,2, & 3 Stafford and Surrounding areas

#5 19-09-09 19:42:26

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Buy the BMW for yourself, it will not get you any more work but is great to drive.

I have a 5 series tourer.........................obviously not for work.........................and despite few issues would not swap it for anything, the quality of drive is on another planet.

#6 19-09-09 21:28:14

deathis@hotmail.co.uk

i have already bought the car just waiting for it to be delivered which is looking like back end of October sad but as its going to be for work and pleasure just thought it may be a head turner and get me noticed ie bring work in. ambi i too looked at a golf though it was a 1.6 se and there was only £5 a week diff in payments so thought i would go for the beamer lol

#7 19-09-09 21:33:30

amby
Verified Member

Enjoy!! Took delivery of mine in April, it is used for business and pleasure. Love it.  I had the 118d sport, which model have you gone for? What area  will you be working in?
lol

DSA ADI (Car), Cardington Grade 'A', Fleet Registered, 7303 Teaching Certificate.
Ordit Registered

#8 19-09-09 21:45:30

deathis@hotmail.co.uk

i went for the 116d sport went for test drive n fell in love with the thing lol. I'm in bradford though going to cover a few towns close by.

#9 21-09-09 08:06:55

Markyb68

I've got a 118d sport coupe on the way (due next week) - its a big investment but I think I've made a good choice. The plus points are the good visibility , amazing fuel economy and its only £35 tax a year so green as well. People I train are really excited - I was worried some would be put off but all the responses are positive - Its already creating a buzz with their friends and I have had several new starters because of the car (wish they were more interested in my service & pass rate!) . I do think the car makes a difference and will make you stand out. I had a Mini a few years ago and I did seem to get more enquiries. Its another selling point (there are so many people advertising low prices , £25 for 5 hours etc - wanted to be different) .. I advertise locally with a pass rate around 90% for last 4 years , clean sheets & I have a local school who approached me to be their driving school of choice , I'm always pretty busy but I've noticed a sharp increase in enquiries over the last 3 weeks as word gets around. Car comes in a weeks time - gone for a white one.The way the tax system allows you to write down the value has also changed so there is better flexibility in what you can mark against your profits. So there are lots of plus points ... one thing to be wary of is the clutch , If you look on 1 series forums for the faults topics it seems there are hundreds of people saying they have clutch problems ... similar to the Mini which suffers the same. Best to be wary and not overdo too many manoevers in a short session and watch those hill starts round your local area - I live near Halifax and I'm sure you know how hilly some of the roads / junctions are ! If I see you around I'll give you a wave  big_smile

#10 21-09-09 15:27:22

deathis@hotmail.co.uk

cool mark will keep a look out if you see a green 306 that could be me lol. really looking forward to getting the car though it wont be till end of oct begging of nov and its in black and gone with a local school mcnics don't know if you know of them? so will have white an blue livery.

#11 21-09-09 16:33:15

Markyb68

I'm sure it will look good in black - I was considering that colour. Not heard or seen mcnics cars about , I don't tend to get too far towards Bradford( I'm the other side of Halifax) but if I see you I'll certainly let on. One other thing , I'm getting my car from Williams in Rochdale and they are getting a dual controlled mini in during the next couple of months for use as a courtesy car , so any servicing or repairs will have the back up of having a dual controlled car to loan . All the best

#12 21-09-09 17:54:14

hector
Verified Member
Website

At last instructors choosing quality cars instead of the usual rubbish! The mk 6 Golf GT is a better car though  big_smile big_smile big_smile

BMW's have one serious problem, if you hear a horrible rattling it isnt the engine thats gone wrong, someone has left a spanner in the engine bay whislt fitting the dual controls  lol

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#13 21-09-09 18:01:26

hector
Verified Member
Website

A 1 series in white needs to be put on the cool board  8-)

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#14 21-09-09 18:08:42

deathis@hotmail.co.uk

lol hextor i will keep an ear out

#15 28-09-09 22:03:33

amby
Verified Member

Oh, don't forget the one between the drivers seat big_smile

Ordit Registered

#16 28-09-09 22:07:22

amby
Verified Member

Oh! don't forget the spanner between the drivers seat. big_smile big_smile

Ordit Registered

#17 28-09-09 23:38:05

A.B.M.W
Verified Member

Hi all,

This used to be mine

#18 29-09-09 14:23:07

deathis@hotmail.co.uk

hi A.B.M.W did you find it did anything for getting you noticed and increase you bookings?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#19 29-09-09 17:48:09

A.B.M.W
Verified Member

hi A.B.M.W did you find it did anything for getting you noticed and increase you bookings?

Hi rincewind,

Yes, for me lots. The white 118d M-Sport was my second 1 Series, I had a Black 118d SE before that.
It certainly helped me get established and noticed when I left the Franchise that I was with for 10yrs. It was my unique selling point, it was crucial for me to stand out from all the Fiesta's/Corsa's/Micra's etc

#20 30-09-09 15:20:08

deathis@hotmail.co.uk

good to hear as thats what im looking to do though there are only two others in my area one of which is in the next town the other is in the same town but as i am looking to cover a wide area

#21 13-12-09 11:41:52

on board training

Hi,

Any update on reliability etc of this car?

We have not used one of these as a school car before but one of our ADIs a bit disappointed with his Corsa 1.3D has just ordered one.

He has gone for the 118D Sport which is a 59plate 5 door.

Does anyone have any experience of this car's reliability and is the warrranty as good as implied?

Brian

#22 13-12-09 16:43:31

Markyb68

Its a little early for me to give long term reliability but I have a 59 plate 118d sport coupe which has now done 4500 miles approx. It has been flawless so far (touch wood) and has made a massive difference to the number of new starters I've had in the last couple of months. The examiners at my test centre all discuss it after the test and one said they see me turn up and all hope they get it as it's so comfortable , smooth and easy to see out of. Its been a massive hit with my trainees - a few were initially worried about it being bigger than the Yaris I previously had , but they all now say its much better to drive - in fact a couple of the more clumsy drivers have been transformed into careful , well planned drivers in the space of a lesson as they treat it with much more respect.

I had HeMan duals fitted - they are the rod type . The fitter said in the first generation of 1 series that the clutch was very prone to wear , like the mini. He said a couple of people got him back within the first 4 months to have dual removed as they were getting rid due to already having clutch problems. My Dad is a friend of the service manager at my local BMW dealer , and the service manager said things were much better in later cars and in the last year he'd only replaced 3 clutches. I went for the full service pack (£1575! which covers 60000miles services , brakes , clutches ) so I hope I've covered all bases.

Seat adjusts well , in fact too many adjustments - in addition to usual forward , back , height etc there is a tilt function thats tilts the seat slightly forward or back for long/short legs , the front seat extends so you can add another 10cm of seating for extra support , plus the sport seat side supports have electronic adjustment to make them expand or contract to hold you firmly in the seat . 7 different levers & buttons can be a bit confusing at first !

Fuel economy has been about the same as my diesel Yaris - about 45mpg .

Make sure he knows about the tax implications - the annual investment allowance means he can write full value off in first year which could mean a zero tax bill - this also means he could qualify for tax credits of about £50 per week - even if he is single without any children , but can only claim in the year that the profit is low , so if car arrives this year he can only claim up to April this year , if car comes after April 2010 then he could claim the £50 per week for a whole year - approx £3000.

Hope this helps

#23 29-08-10 15:08:36

asroxx@yahoo.com
Website

Pupil puller that's a good one. I had once a pupil and she asked me after 20 lessons what car she is driving as she was asked by some colegues and she answered "I drive a red car".

#24 29-08-10 16:28:25

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

I find most pupils are car savvy especially 17 year olds. IMO a prestige marque like BMW will pull clients as would the Mini and the Beetle. I wanted a Volvo C30 just to be different I'm sure it would have pulled in clients. Alas when I test drove it I found it very drab and not worth spending nearly 5k extra on it.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#25 29-08-10 17:10:26

hector
Verified Member
Website

A1 Sophie its the future of cool motoring  big_smile

EXCELSIOR TRAINING