You are not logged in.

#1 12-09-09 14:16:34

smartornot

best way to train for ADI?

I am going through the difficult decision of who to train with and basically deciding between BSM or Pay as you go with a trainer.  My worry with Pay as you go is it's difficult to take the PDI route if required unless the trainer has a big school, which is not the case where I have looked.  BSM's offer of a big course reduction and incusive test fees ends today so trying to decide.  I would love to get some feedback on BSM's training if this is allowed on the forum. :?

12-09-09 14:16:34

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: best way to train for ADI?

#2 12-09-09 15:22:59

giggles184
Verified Member

I am going down the pay as i go route, whilst i have money for the training i could not afford to lash it all out in one hit then there was the fear of hang on ok ive paid "inclusive" for the test but what happens if i dont pass 1st time? Or what if i failed part 2 3 times and then could not progress onto part 3, would i have been eligible for a refund or would it have been an ok ive been burned sort of situation? As it goes i passed part 1 and 2 first time so i would have been ok on that front but, another thinking point is what happens if you dont like your trainer with bsm? Can you switch from them to another trainer within bsm easily? With my pay as i go option i have actually gone through 3 people before settling with someone who tbh when i found him i could have kicked myself! LOL! Seeing as though i actually knew him previously!  lol

Personally i just cant justify having to spend in excess of 200 pounds or whatever it maybe for part 1, with a big company. I bought my driving the essential skills a highway code the theory discs and paid for the test with change from 120 quid!
I will almost certainly go down the pink license route, i am still contemplating at the moment but i think it would be beneficial so long as i use it in the correct manner. The instructor who is training me is not from an enourmous s.o.m and he can now provide the trainee license so i see no reason for other small schools not to be able to in your area... Its worth researching but in my humble opinion i think that the trainee license isnt something you can truly make an informed choice about until the end of your part 2 training.

ADI part 1 - passed 1st attempt 11/5/09 97/63
ADI part 2 - passed 1st attempt 03/09/09 - 1 minor big_smile
ADI part 3........... start training 27/9/09 then we shall see!

#3 12-09-09 20:13:05

smartornot

Thanks for the info giggles
I did not sign up with BSM despite the big discount that was on offer until today.  I did not mention the 3rd option Bradleys and your comments may mean I am looking at this one for the wrong reason.  Bradleys are a large SOM in Hertfordshire and they have set up their own training school supposedly to train recruits for their school.  Part of the deal is they will let you teach with them as a trainer on a reduced franchise fee, working up to 4 days but with 1 day training.  Apart from the fact it is an upfront none returnable payment of £1919 and they are not in ORDIT I am tempted.

#4 12-09-09 20:19:49

giggles184
Verified Member

Are you based in hertfordshire? If so i am aswell and i can definately recommend my adi etc and i can also pm you with a couple to DEFINATELY steer clear of round here i wont on open forum obviously but i was burned with them so...

ADI part 1 - passed 1st attempt 11/5/09 97/63
ADI part 2 - passed 1st attempt 03/09/09 - 1 minor big_smile
ADI part 3........... start training 27/9/09 then we shall see!

#5 12-09-09 22:05:59

smartornot

Appreciate any local advise, yes I am in Herts. and happy to receive a pm

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 12-09-09 22:30:47

Spike
Verified Member

My worry with Pay as you go is it's difficult to take the PDI route if required unless the trainer has a big school, which is not the case where I have looked.

Not necessarily. I'm sure there are some smaller local schools who would be happy to take you on as a PDI while you're training. This may mean having to stay with them for a set period of time after qualifying, but that's no bad thing as a franchise is a really good way to go initially while you find your feet in the business and build up a reputation.

Phone around some local schools, or if you go with a PAYG independent trainer, s/he can probably advise you on decent local schools to look at.

#7 20-09-09 20:10:43

mrbrightside
Verified Member

I wouldn't get hell bent on choosing a trainer/school just based on whether they can offer you PDI opportunities. There are far more important things to consider first of all and giggles184 outlined some of them. A good point already made is the fact that some companies charge hundreds for part 1 training which is crazy!! I bought the question bank, the essential skills book, and one of the theory CD's, cost me less than £30 and I passed it first time.

Everybody has their own preference, but after going to all the meetings with BSM, AA, The Instructor College and even Let's Drive (before they vanished) I just didnt feel comfortable paying thousands up front with absolutely no security. Most felt like salesmen, and told me everything I wanted to hear.

It wasn't until I did a bit of research locally (phoned around local ADI's, contacted local schools and then also asked for local info on here) that I decided to pay as you go. You will literally only pay for what you use, and won't lose any money if you decide it's not for you, or your circumstances change and you want to stop.

One word of warning on being a PDI. Training to pass the part 3 test, and then actually teaching students as a job (or on a trainee licence) is so different. Although working on a trainee licence may give you some invaluable experience for when you qualify.... I'm not sure it gives you the best preparation for a Part 3 test. A lot of companies sell you the idea of getting your trainee licence as soon as possible because it makes it sound like you are doing the job before you are qualified. By the way, although I had the chance, I didn't use the trainee licence.

I'm sure you'll get many different points of view on here, and each one will give very useful information. Do lots of research, and don't rush into it! Good luck!

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

#8 21-09-09 09:15:44

smartornot

Thanks for the advice mrbrightside.  I am taking my time and investigating the options although once decided I will be keen to follow a path that can get me trained quickly as currently out of work.  So far I have just done what's required to make a start on part 1 i.e. sent for my CRB check and got the full question bank and latest Focus DVD.  This forum is certainly helping in making an informed decision.

#9 21-09-09 11:57:57

mrbrightside
Verified Member

It's a good idea to get your CRB sent off early as it can take up to 6 weeks, or more if they're really busy! I presume then you've already got your PDI starter pack from the DSA?

Sounds like you're already starting out on pay as you go, so just be careful what you're paying for if you go with a company as you may not need part 1 tuition. Not sure if any companies or schools offer packages that just involve part 2 and 3. Ask people for a breakdown of what any total costs include.

As you're unemployed, you might want to take a look at Career Development Loans. This is a loan from a bank where you don't have to make any repayments until a month or two after qualifying and the government pays any interest aquired in that time. Then you can repay over 1-7 years. Obviously the biggest worry about this is if you dont get through the course 1st time, you would have to make repayments even if you fail the course and don't start earning from it.

I can understand you wanting to pass as quickly as possible, but part 3 is a fairly difficult section to get through and it takes time. Obviously if you can afford a few hours a week then it would be sped up. I certainly wouldn't treat a trainee licence as a means to make money, it should only be used to help with part 3, and is not suitable for everyone. I'm sure whoever you train with will be able to discuss this with you further. And it's not something you need to worry about too much until further down the line.

Oh and the Focus DVD's tend to be the best!
Let me know if I can help at all with any questions, theres loads of help on the forums too.

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

Board footer