You are not logged in.

#1 13-09-09 18:36:55

angel22

Working for a National School full-time in Worcs....what can i expect to earn?

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about training as an Instructor, and although eventually I would probably go Indy, I am wondering what I can earn immediately by working for a national school in Worcester?

I do not have to keep a high income, what is important for me is that I can start working as an Instructor as soon as possible, and working for a national school offers this.

If I were to work for the likes of Red, TIC, BSM, etc, how soon could I be earning an income?  and how many pupils do they find for you each week?  Do you ever have a full diary etc?

Thanks

13-09-09 18:36:55

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Working for a National School full-time in Worcs....what can i expect to earn?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 13-09-09 19:54:17

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

Re: Working for a National School full-time in Worcs....what can i expect to earn?

You can't earn anything "immediately".

You first need to apply to join the ADI register and wait for your Criminal Records Bureau check to be done and for your application to be approved by the ADI Registrar. This part in itself will take several weeks.

You then to have study for and pass Part 1 and train for and pass Part 2 of the ADI exams. Once Part 2 is passed, you can if you wish, apply for a temporary 6 month trainee licence which allows you to give driving instruction in return for payment. Before a licence will be granted however, you need to complete 40 hours of instructional training with an ADI. You will need another 20 hours of instructional training within 3 months of the trainee licence being issued.

The process of going from zero to your application to join the Register being accepted, passing Part 1, Part 2 and completing the 40 hours needed for a trainee licence is likely to take several months.

The trainee licence is temporary and while in "exceptional circumstances" an extension can be granted, this should not be assumed. Part 3 of the ADI exams has to be passed within 2 years from the date you pass Part 1, or you have to start the entire process again from scratch. If you do not pass Part 3 within the 6 months allowed for the trainee licence and you do not get an extension from the DSA, you will have to stop giving instruction in return for payment (or monies worth).

As far as "how many pupils" goes, that depends on a number of factors, including demand for driving lessons, competition from other instructors both in your sponsoring driving school and in the area itself, your availability to give lessons and so on.

A "national" driving school is no more guaranteed to get you pupils or get you to a position where you can work as a driving instructor than any other driving school - it's a matter of finding a good trainer and a good sponsoring school/instructor who is interested in helping you to become an ADI and getting you work rather than just pocketing your training/franchise fees - not a matter of "size" or "national coverage" or even "advertising budgets".

If you haven't already done so, it would be a good idea to read my guide to becoming a driving instructor, so that you know everything that is involved in the process, the risks and what it's really like to work as a driving instructor as opposed to the impression given by the TV adverts - Everything You Need To Know About Becoming A Driving Instructor

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#3 13-09-09 19:59:52

angel22

Thanks for your reply Loopylou.

I already know how it all works...when I said 'immediately' I was meaning when I had been granted my trainee licence after passing part two.

At the moment I am just trying to decide whether working for a school or for myself would benefit me most for my situation.
How do I find a good trainer and a good sponsoring school/instructor who is interested in helping you to become an ADI and getting you work rather than just pocketing your training/franchise fees ?

Thanks for your help

#4 13-09-09 22:40:45

Spike
Verified Member

OK, first reality check is this. Once you have got your trainee licence, you are not yet a qualified instructor. Don't fall into the trap sold to you by the big schools that this is a way if earning money.

The trainee licence is not an alternative to being on the ADI register or a way of making money. It is there to gain experience with real pupils (while earning a bit of money at the same time of course) while training for your part 3. I'm not having a go here, just trying to warn you. This was a very painful lesson I learned myself having been sucked in to the hype. After working far too many hours, while paying an inflated franchise, I concentrated too much on earning a living than training. The franchise I was paying meant I had to work the hours I did to keep my head above water which left little time for training. When I failed my 3rd attempt at Part 3 I think it was the most painful and depressing experience I had ever gone through. I know for a fact that I was one of many, many wide eyed enthusiastic trainee instructors chasing the dream who had fallen for the same hype.

Second time around, I had a responsible trainer who insisted I divided my time properly between training and working on the pink licence. I didn't earn very much while training but, as I said earlier, that isn't the point of the pink licence. Second time around, with proper training, alongside "real time" experience, I passed Part 3 with flying colours.

Please don't fall into the trap that I and many other PDIs have done. Use your pink purely as a way of gaining experience while concentrtating on getting that well deserved green badge.

I wish you luck. Please keep us informed as you go along. We're ll here to help  smile

#5 14-09-09 16:44:40

ChelmsfordADI
Verified Member

National Driving Schools doesn't mean lots of work. Some of the larger national schools charge more than indy instructors and some pupils look for instructors based on price.

I've been with the AA twice in 7 years and left within 3 months because they were only able to provide a few pupils and not even enough to cover the franchise.

And I live in a populated area with several universities and schools around. But also a lot of local instructors and a number of large local franchise who are keeping prices down due to competing with each other.

Carl

Driving Instructor currently working in IT Business Support
BUT looking to return to instructing over the next few months big_smile

DSA Approved Driving Instructor since 1998
RoSPA Gold Advanced Driver

#6 14-09-09 17:40:00

hector
Verified Member
Website

Angel what everyone is trying to say is 'Train first worry about who to work for and how much you will earn later!'

Choose your trainer based on training, not on starting to work ASAP and proposed deals and job offers. All the schools you mention above will let you down badly, if you want to choose a national school choose a different one to the ones mentioned!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#7 19-09-09 14:29:23

benji

Angel im with Red both on pink and now on green so far ive at least 30hours per week most ive had is 45hours saying that i do find pupils myself, its not a easy living and it takes time to build your diary and no school can guaranteed you a certain amount of pupils.

Board footer