You are not logged in.

#1 15-09-09 19:29:59

bellydancer

car and child

Hi, can someone please tell me is there any law on  how old/tall etc must a child be before he can sit in the front passenger seat ?
If there aren't, would a seat belt do, or do u need a car seat ? (we will be talking about children of 6 years old and above)
Thanks

15-09-09 19:29:59

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: car and child

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 15-09-09 20:08:49

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
The Highway Code

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr … /DG_069855

Rules 99,100,101,102.

#3 16-09-09 13:31:48

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Hi
Just rememeber if you have a passenger airbag TURN IT OFF, a passenger air bag can actually kill a child as if it releases it is most likely to hit the child straight in the face, making there head fly back and may cause there neck to break.
:cry:

Both my children go in the front of my car(when its necessary), mine are 3 and 8, both have booster seats and i always turn the air bag off.  smile

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

#4 16-09-09 16:05:46

evondoll
Verified Member
Website

If the child is over 135cm no booster is needed (although most six year olds are smaller than this).

Cat.....I thought the air bag was only to be switched off if you put a baby in a rear facing baby seat in the front (infact its against the law to have a rear facing baby seat in front of an air bag). Not sure I agree with switching it off for older kids.....but then I'm not sure what the rule is.

Evon x

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 16-09-09 19:11:38

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Cat.....I thought the air bag was only to be switched off if you put a baby in a rear facing baby seat in the front (infact its against the law to have a rear facing baby seat in front of an air bag). Not sure I agree with switching it off for older kids.....but then I'm not sure what the rule is.

Hi you are right, you shouldn't put a baby in the front with a rear facing child seat wink

When i had my second child i went to a seminar about mums and new babies and a child safety expert in car seats and cars etc was there, she said that front air bags are only most effective on a person of adult size and all children really shouldn't sit in the front unless the air bag is switched off. As per the reason stated above wink, must admit i was suprised myself and the lady did say that alot of people are not aware of the dangers an airbag can cause a child.

#6 16-09-09 20:10:47

evondoll
Verified Member
Website

I don't let my kids in the front.......much to their disapointment!

#7 17-09-09 17:13:16

bellydancer

Thank you for your replies  smile
Evondoll, your last posting raises another question  :?
Someone told me it is actually safer for a child to be in the front seat as if they are in the back, and a car from behind slammed into your car..... like when you have to suddenly stop or the car behind did not expect you to do it etc....
the argument being (i suppose) it is easier to take action and see beside you then behind you.... neutral
what do you all think ?

#8 17-09-09 21:44:18

evondoll
Verified Member
Website

My opinion on that would be that most (I know not all) rear end shunts happen at slow speeds.

Also (if its true that its safer in the front) with having two kids........how would I pick what lucky one gets to sit in the front.....especially if it was for safty reasons!?

Evon x

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 18-09-09 14:42:06

ExAdiNigel

Thank you for your replies  smile
Evondoll, your last posting raises another question  :?
Someone told me it is actually safer for a child to be in the front seat as if they are in the back, and a car from behind slammed into your car..... like when you have to suddenly stop or the car behind did not expect you to do it etc....
the argument being (i suppose) it is easier to take action and see beside you then behind you.... neutral
what do you all think ?

I would rather take action to avoid being rear-ended in the first place.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#10 18-09-09 19:38:06

dog
Verified Member

Hi
Just rememeber if you have a passenger airbag TURN IT OFF, a passenger air bag can actually kill a child as if it releases it is most likely to hit the child straight in the face, making there head fly back and may cause there neck to break.

Can you tell me where you got that information? Was it from the user manual for your car? As it sounds like total BS to me. Cars are fitted with devices which let you disable the front passenger airbag in the event that you need to have a rearward facing child seat in the front. My car has this and it also has warning stickers to tell me about it.

In a crash the airbag doesn't hit you, you hit it, as it will already be fully inflated and starting to deflate by the time you've moved forward enough to meet it! Coupled with modern safety implementations such as force limiting seat belts and pretensioners I find it very hard to believe that an airbag would cause significantly more damage to a properly seated and restrained 10 year old than it would to a 30 year old. Plus, have you SEEN the size of a fully inflated passenger airbag? They are huge!

Personally I'd never let anyone under the age of 10 travel in the front seat of my car anyway but I was in a ~40mph crash as the front seat passenger when I was 8 years old and I came out with no broken bones...

#11 21-09-09 11:59:41

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Can you tell me where you got that information? Was it from the user manual for your car? As it sounds like total BS to me. Cars are fitted with devices which let you disable the front passenger airbag in the event that you need to have a rearward facing child seat in the front. My car has this and it also has warning stickers to tell me about it.

I was told this by a saftey lady that worked for some kind of road safety people, i cant remember exactly what the organisation was, it was 3 years ago. However she was their parcifically talking about child saftey in cars, maybe i'm wrong for believing her, she seemed to know what she was talking about. My car also has this warning sign about rear facing car seats.

My best friend was a witness to a pile up on the M5, the first cars boot ended up behind the seats of there vechile, their luggage all over the motorway, they were both fine, but the police said if they would have had children in the back, they would have certainly died,turns out that they did have children but they had gone away for there anniversay,so nanay had them, so in away, it was crash but it was there lucky day. big_smile

Board footer