You are not logged in.

#1 22-07-09 16:57:17

joeybaker1984
Verified Member

How to explain turning offside/nearside?

Hi,

Just looking for a good way to explain turning offside/nearside at junctions?
I'm having trouble trying to put together a decent explanation that is assured and confident.

Any help would be great?

Thanks

22-07-09 16:57:17

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: How to explain turning offside/nearside?

#2 22-07-09 17:17:08

ExAdiNigel

Diagrams?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#3 22-07-09 17:24:17

DampDog
Verified Member

I tend not to use "Nearside/offside" it just confuses. Passenger side - Driver side, they know what you're talking about then, as adiNigel's said a couple of nice clear diagrams. If you get the chance early on while you're still doing the drive home, show them.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#4 22-07-09 17:45:22

driver69

I use two toy cars and show them each method. Just out of interest, when was the last time any of you turned offside/offside? I can`t ever recall a junction where I was able to do that.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 22-07-09 17:58:30

DampDog
Verified Member

I knocked this diagram up while doing my lesson plans prior to part3, you're welcome to use it if it's of any use.
(You'' need to click on it to see it full size)

See later post

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 22-07-09 23:08:39

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

I use two toy cars and show them each method. Just out of interest, when was the last time any of you turned offside/offside? I can`t ever recall a junction where I was able to do that.

Hi Des,
You need to turn offside at the Holywood Rd/Belmont Road/Pims Avenue Junction

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc … 1&t=h&z=19

..A brilliant junction for learners, as its a crossroads with 5 roads. Just love their face as I instruct them to take the "2nd left turn at the lights" aproaching from belmont road.

#7 23-07-09 08:10:19

driver69

Jonny, I never even thought of that junction, so long since I have used it in that way.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 23-07-09 12:21:27

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Jonny, I never even thought of that junction, so long since I have used it in that way.

Its actually one of my favourite junctions for teaching the pupils to actually think about positioning when turning right, in relation to where other traffic is intending to go.  If they dont think about where other traffic is going, its very easy to cause a bit of an obstacle of yourself.

Try it turning right into Pims avenue and you'll see my meaning, also try getting them turning right from Pims avenue into the 1way street Dundella Crescent.  It soon gets them realising not every junction can be done the same every time.

There is so much about that junction that just makes it a learners worst nightmare.

#9 23-07-09 16:53:07

joeybaker1984
Verified Member

Diagrams are fine, but what is the best way to explain why we turn passenger side - passenger side?
It's a natural for us to just do it unless road markings advise otherwise, however I'm looking for advice in explaining why it is better to turn passenger - passenger side rather then turning driver side -driver side.

Thanks

#10 23-07-09 16:56:06

driver69

Because the design of most junctions are too restricted to allow the safer driver-driver side otherwise you would be too far forward to turn?

#11 23-07-09 21:30:41

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Imagine crossroads on a junction controlled by traffic lights.  You and the 2 cars behind you want to turn right, and there are 3 oncoming cars turning to their right (your left).  If you try and go offside to offside, the 2 cars behind you block the path of the oncoming cars, and the oncoming cars block your path, and nobody can get round, blocking the whole junction.  If you go nearside to nearside, you turn in front of each other and the way for all the cars is clear.

Make sense?

.phil.

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#12 23-07-09 22:18:56

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
The only times i have seen offside to offside is when road markings tell you too.
Except the occasion when i observed an examiners face :cry: as his candidate turned offside around a line of cars on one of the busiest junctions in Newcastle;it was a picture tongue;i believe he walked back.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#13 24-07-09 05:33:09

ExAdiNigel

Diagrams are fine, but what is the best way to explain why we turn passenger side - passenger side?
It's a natural for us to just do it unless road markings advise otherwise, however I'm looking for advice in explaining why it is better to turn passenger - passenger side rather then turning driver side -driver side.

Thanks

And using diagrams (or toy cars) will show how offside to offside can give better visibility of what may be oncoming.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#14 24-07-09 07:08:24

hector
Verified Member
Website

Dave if i used your diagrams and turned right like that I would be killed or seriously injured for sure  big_smile   yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#15 24-07-09 07:17:57

DampDog
Verified Member

Dave if i used your diagrams and turned right like that I would be killed or seriously injured for sure  big_smile   yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes

No worries I just pile em up neatly side of the road.. Plus you're one of the few who'd notice the junctions too small to do either method safely on the first diagram..  roll

These any better?

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

#16 25-07-09 09:54:24

joeybaker1984
Verified Member

Thanks guys, perfect sense now

#17 14-09-09 12:35:25

paulaball
Verified Member

offside to offside better view of on comming traffic
nearside to nearside blind peep and creep very slowly

Board footer