You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 12-09-09 10:17:18

jay666
Website

Failed part 3 1st attempt! Gutted!

I had my first attempt at part 3 on tuesday 8 sept and got pst 5 and failed with a 3/3. Only just feel like i want to share so heres a quick write up.

Phase 1 mirrors/emergency stop.
So gets in the car gives word picture and i start with intro which was fine. Told him i would brief him about the emergency stop once we got to somewhere suitable as he advised me to in the word picture so started with a few questions on mirrors (which, where, when and why) and then asked him to do the cockpit drill. When it come to the mirrors he lent forward to adjust centre mirror so i told him to sit back in the seat and adjust it that way so he did then when it came to the door mirrors he did it again lent forward which for some reason i totally missed so we did the whole lesson with him not being able to see through them. So anyway start the drive with a missed blind spot check so told him about it afterwards and got his understanding on why to check our blind area before moving away. Then hes indicating before checking the mirrors so told him about it and analysed that we must check the mirrors first to check for following traffic before signalling. he kept doing it so should of made sure i told him to  do exactly what i say and check mirrors then indicate (I understand now when people say mind goes blank on part 3). Anyway gets to site and brief on the emergency stop which is perfect except for the fact that i told him my car had ABS and explained how it worked but forgot to tell him what to do in a car without!! Anyway the stop goes ok he was very slow to brake and sorted that and was not braking hard enough and sorted that so on drive after i managed to get him to check the mirrors before indicating which he started doing. End of phase 1 and i knew i hadnt done to well but became so clear about the mirrors when starting phase 2 and when i asked him to do the cockpit drill he had to adjust the mirrors quite a bit!

Phase 2 progress, hesitancy and road position.
Started off with a few questions on each and was underway. To begin with i was asking about everything we approached and when we got to a T junction he was very slow pulling out so reminded him about the walking across rule and got his understanding. Next his road position was very close to the kerb so explained where our position should be and told him to check in the mirror and make it about a metre from the kerb. He was then too wide so was trying everything to sort it. We then approached a roundabout which i didnt ask him about so he decided to play his hesitancy on every roundabout from then on by stopping and pulling away once he had looked in 1st gear. Told him how to look on approach to a roundabout and to keep the car moving if possible as they are to keep traffic flowing. Couldnt get it sorted so was telling him at every roundabout when he could go. He only made 1 progress fault going 35 in a 50 zone so told him it was safe and dry we could get our speed up and explained about holding people up and importance of making progress and got his understanding.

Back at the TC i knew i hadnt passed as things got a little on top of me. He came out after 15mins for the debrief and told me about the mirrors on phase 1 saying that i had saw him lean to move the centre mirror and why did i not see him do it again. I should of give full instruction from the start on mirrors and made him use them and wait for my instruction to indicate when the fault was put in. Also if i saw him not check the blind spot should of corrected before letting him move away and the fact that i didnt tell him about Non-ABS cars just let the emergency stop down. Phase 2 he sed with road position he just wanted to hear a reason WHY we dont drive so close to the kerb and he would of corrected it (big kick to myself as i gave him about 5 when he asked after the test). He played on the roundabouts as i hadnt asked him if he had covered them on previous lessons and that i should of let him make his own mind up when to go towards the end of the test. So overall he just said i need to be more pro-active and stop faults before they happen when possible.
I was gutted but now know exactly how to put it right and have been working on it so am itching for another try. Suppose a 3/3 aint too bad so hopefully next time will get the result i want.

Hope this helps all who have a part 3 test coming up.

12-09-09 10:17:18

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Failed part 3 1st attempt! Gutted!

#2 12-09-09 17:53:54

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Hi

Great write up. You were so close, like you said you will know what to do for next time.

Good luck, for your second attempt.  wink

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

#3 13-09-09 14:25:10

ceecee
Verified Member

Hi

That was a great write up! I am very sorry to hear of your delayed success. Fingers crossed you will do it next time

ADI Part 1 passed: 28/03/2008
ADI Part 2 passed: 03/07/2008
ADI Part 3 failed: 28/07/2009
ADI Part 3 failed: 30/09/2009
ADI Part 3 passed:07/10/2009

#4 13-09-09 14:30:18

pat19799

Hi Jay,

Brilliant review of your test, just a shame it didnt work out this time.

All the luck for your next one

Pat

Part 1 - 1/9/9 - Failed
Part 1 - 3/9/9 - Passed
Part 2 - 9/10/9 - Passed
Part 3 - ?

#5 14-09-09 12:23:34

jay666
Website

Thanks for all the replies. Hope to nail it next time. Feel more confident now!!

Board footer