You are not logged in.

#1 11-09-09 12:30:41

mouldy

Driving School Ultimatum

Hi all I'm new here so be nice to me lol

I learn to drive next month so have been asking round various people for recommendations and have narrowed it down to Driven (a local Nottingham school) or the AA.

I have a Ford Focus myself so obviously that appeals me to the AA but the cost is quite high so I do want to be getting my moneys worth and in general I want to keep my amount of lessons to a minimum.

I was going to have a lesson with both and decide myself but it works out about £100 for both starter lessons because they have to be 2 hours and considering the average is about 45 hours I don't have enough money to be forking £100 just to make a decision.

So could anyone here help me with my predicament?

Thanks in advance.

11-09-09 12:30:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Driving School Ultimatum

#2 11-09-09 12:41:10

VandADI
Administrator

I guess it boils down to whether you want to learn safe driving for life or to pass the test as quickly/cheaply as possible.
Your best bet would be to find out about the instructor that will be taking you out for your lessons rather than the reputation of each school.
e.g. are they a fully qualified instructor (fully qualified hold a green badge) and part qualified hold a pink badge) the AA only use fully qualified instructors so this does not really apply, but the local Nottingham school may not be using fully qualified instructors.  You could ask them what grade they are, do they hold any additional qualifications, how long have they been teaching, and based on the information given you could go onto decide which instructor to go with, rather than which school to go with.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 11-09-09 15:20:57

KevB
Verified Member
Website

I would suggest choosing 1 instructor and making a decision after 10 hours with him/her.

As the first lesson will be introducing you to the car and cockpit checks and moving off/stopping, it would be unfair making a decision based on initial lesson. The 2nd instructor will have an advantage over the 1st in your eyes as you will be doing mre driving with that instructor.

It is better to have a minimum of 5 hours (preferably 10) with the same instructor before trialing another. That way you will be at a reasonable standard and able to make decision on each instructor based on the level of driving ability you are displaying.

#4 11-09-09 20:01:18

ExAdiNigel

What else do you get from either school?  The AA usually give free AA cover for a year to under 25's once they pass + 50% discount for second year & 25% for third year.  You may qualify for discounted insurance with teh AA, though you may be able to find cheaper elsewhere,  The AA prefer 2 hour lessons but you can still have 1 or 1.5 hour lessons with them - don't feel pressured.

The AA also provide an online course to help with the theory.

What extras do the other school offer?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#5 11-09-09 21:50:59

la.monikita
Verified Member

Have you asked yourself what is more important; being a fantastic driver with skills to impress all the advanced drivers or a moron who has just passed his test and is about to wrap his car around the nearest lamp post or cyclist? The family tends to cater for the flowers later, just a consolation.

The choice is yours to take, but I think you should invest money in your skills, after all fortunes can be made and lost in a day but what YOU know AND WHO YOU become nobody can ever take away from you. Invest in you and your skills!
OR if you want to join the ranks of retarded drivers- become the minimum lessons driver , in the long term it's the most expensive option (learning by your own errors), but you would now need to be able to see the consequences of your own lack of knowlege, skills and understanding.

I don't know about you, but I rather go on holidays being flown by pilots who are trained to be the best and are masters in what they do, not ones who take the least lessons to pass their most basic flying tests!
But in the end it's your life, your money and YOU will make the decission in who or what you want to become!
I hope you make the right one wink

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#6 11-09-09 23:51:22

mouldy

As said there are a lot of additional perks with the AA and discounts are more but cost is higher.

I can see what is being said about the least lessons to just get through the test but shouldn't the test be proving you independantly have the sufficient skills to drive safely and respectfully?? Isn't that why the test is so thorough and you are only allowed limited errors in the test? To prove that you are a capable driver and good enough to drive on the road independantly without being highly liable to cause an accident.

The point is there is a cost issue here I cannot afford to have a seriously large amount of lessons aswell as pay for my test(s) If I am good enough and road worthy.. I will pass my test shouldn't I? If that is not the case then the DVLA or DSA or whoever it is are not doing their job properly.

More to the point, I want the better instructors. So I'm looking for any recommendations.

#7 12-09-09 08:58:13

bellydancer

here is my 2 cents worth of contribution smile
I understand that due to financial constraints you can't afford to 'waste' your money and you are looking for the 'better' instructor.
As you mentioned that you have a car, you would be able to put in loads of private practise ?
Lessons wise, You need to be realistic and have a figure that you are prepared to spend UNTIL you pass the test...as you need to think about test fees, use of instructor's car (if you are using his/hers)

Just a true story to illustrate my point. My friend and I both had the same instructor. We said in the beginning that we will be prepared to spend about £1000 on lessons (we are in the older smile age range and female smile and we should be up to test standard....

We both ended up spending about £1200 on lessons and I passed my test on my 2nd attempt. She passed on her 7th attempt.
in short, we exceed our budget but we felt it will be a waste to give up after spending so much money and she spent more than me as she paid 5 times more on test fees....

I know this is not the answer you are looking for but i thought you might like the benefit of my experience smile
In this case taught experience being free, compared to bought experience smile smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 12-09-09 15:40:43

ExAdiNigel

As said there are a lot of additional perks with the AA and discounts are more but cost is higher.
I will pass my test shouldn't I? If that is not the case then the DVLA or DSA or whoever it is are not doing their job properly.

Actually it wouldn't be down to teh DSA or the DVLA.

The DSA simply set the test.  Whether you are at that level is down to (partly) your instructor and ultimately with you.  You have to be own the responsibility for learning.

Ask around friends & neighbours.  Who did they learn with?  Did they enjoy the process (you will learn better if you are enjoying it).  Don't put too high an importance on price.  Many of the better trainers may charge a higher hourly rate but you may well find their pupils need fewer hours to reach test standard.

Nigel

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 12-09-09 18:06:47

la.monikita
Verified Member

I can see what is being said about the least lessons to just get through the test but shouldn't the test be proving you independantly have the sufficient skills to drive safely and respectfully?? Isn't that why the test is so thorough and you are only allowed limited errors in the test? To prove that you are a capable driver and good enough to drive on the road independantly without being highly liable to cause an accident.

The point is there is a cost issue here I cannot afford to have a seriously large amount of lessons aswell as pay for my test(s) If I am good enough and road worthy.. I will pass my test shouldn't I? If that is not the case then the DVLA or DSA or whoever it is are not doing their job properly.

More to the point, I want the better instructors. So I'm looking for any recommendations.

My aim is to teach my customers this this standard http://skilldriver.org/  Have a look, buy the book it's an investment that will help you make a decision.

Try few instructors and ask them few technical questions...to see if you get on, what other qualifications do they have etc. I'm sure many will come up with more questions.

Just ONE of the things are worth remebering if you are being taught by an instructor who deos not care about his car and let you learn the habit of getting a bitting point when it's not necessary, your clutch will last 20k miles instead of 100k. The cluch plates are about £400 a change.
Now you don't know any different and continue to change the clutch every 20k...that is a lot of money, so now your "driving lessons" have become extortionately expensive!

Driving lessons are the cheapest thing in Motoring. You've invested money in a Ford Focus, a piece of replaceable machinery and you don't want to invest money in YOU? Are you replaceable?

Go to your test centre and observe the instructors and their students, see how they are interacting with one another, you may ask for a business card..

Abraham Maslow

#10 12-09-09 19:52:58

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

I'm in Nottingham, but I think my car is too small for what you are looking for. So I highly recommend Mick at Charlies School of Motoring, his contact details are :

http://www.charliesschoolofmotoring.co.uk/
0115 9389313 or 0793 1146729

He's a really nice guy and a great instructor. He drives a Peugeot 207, I know its not a Focus but can't think of anyone on my 'recommendation list' of Nottingham instructors with a Focus.

The point is there is a cost issue here I cannot afford to have a seriously large amount of lessons aswell as pay for my test(s)

It takes as long as it takes I'm afraid. Best of luck. smile

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#11 12-09-09 20:13:27

mouldy

mouldy wrote:

Just ONE of the things are worth remebering if you are being taught by an inastuctors who deos not care about his car and let you learn the habit of getting a bitting point when it's not necessary, your clutch will last 20k miles instead of 100k. The cluch plates are about £400 a change.
Now you don't know any different and continue to change the clutch every 20k...that is a lot of money, so now your "driving lessons" have become extortionately expensive!

Driving lessons are the cheapest thing in Motoring. You've invested money in a Ford Focus, a piece of replaceable machinery and you don't want to invest money in YOU? Are you replaceable?

Go to your test centre and observe the instructors and their students, see how they are interacting with one another, you may ask for a business card..

I am learning to drive. I can see your point but I am looking for a good instructor a good instructor should support me better and thus I should learn at least a bit quicker than a would with a worse instructor? The amount of lessons I need should be based on how quickly I progress am I wrong in thinking a better instructor for me would help me progress quicker thus needing less lessons?

#12 12-09-09 20:22:54

la.monikita
Verified Member

I am learning to drive. I can see your point but I am looking for a good instructor a good instructor should support me better and thus I should learn at least a bit quicker than a would with a worse instructor? The amount of lessons I need should be based on how quickly I progress am I wrong in thinking a better instructor for me would help me progress quicker thus needing less lessons?

Correct but even genius learner will need to learn and gain experience. With correct coaching and extra practice you'll become a skilled driver. Test that cannot be passed are very expensive option. You can see when you are ready yourself; you deal with difficult situations well and you don't need anyone to tell you what to do. Try Rob's recommended instructors. Get "Mind Driving" and Good luck. wink

Abraham Maslow

#13 13-09-09 16:33:57

ExAdiNigel

....My aim is to teach my customers this this standard http://skilldriver.org/  ....

Well the heading on that site turned me off straight away...

Secret skills for staying alive on the road

There aren't any secret skills required!  and saying there are, devalues the whole learning process.

Nigel

#14 14-09-09 15:01:53

evondoll
Verified Member
Website

What might be a good instructor for you may not be good for someone else and vice versa. You have to get on well with your instructor....thats half the battle.

Instructors are graded...if it makes you feel better ask what grade your instructor is (6 being the highest). Although maybe just maybe you wont get on well with that top class grade six instructor.....so really is grade important?

Price......a very cheap instructor (imo and I'm ready to be flamed for it) must have a quiet diary and needs it filling.....I'd be asking why they are so quiet? (they might have a genuine reason).

Time it will take you to learn to pass a test v time it will take you to become a safe driver........there is a difference. And the quick option, you might be lucky enough to live to regret sad

Evon x

#15 20-09-09 20:29:52

mrbrightside
Verified Member

If you pass your test in the minimum hours possible then you may be able to drive the car to DSA standards, but you will have very little experience on the road. Imagine having only 10-15 hours with an instructor, you learn quickly and can do what the DSA want you to do for the test... you are really happy as you get your licence. Problem is, there is likely to be a much bigger chance of having an accident, and a massive chance of encountering something you've never done before- this will obviously cause you many problems. Experience alongside a professional driver is just as important as learning the skills required to pass the test.

Money is often an issue, but I might have held off buying myself a car until I was closer to passing, and used the money for driving lessons first. (Apologies of course if you were given the car, or it was bought for you!)

Good luck with your lessons

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

#16 20-09-09 20:40:54

la.monikita
Verified Member

Lets not forget that a car crash is far more expensive than many driving lessons...taking into account not only the excess paid on a fully comp policy but the increased insurance cost for the next 5 years. Has anyone ever added up how much it is? 2-3k perhaps?

Abraham Maslow

#17 20-02-11 16:37:10

cyclops

if you cant afford to take the amount of lessons needed to be a "safe" driver with how ever many lessons that are needed, how do you expect to be able to run a car?
what is the insurance cost of your focus per week? fuel again per week, tax, etc. you will find its more than the cost of a 2 hour lesson.

#18 20-02-11 18:14:43

(ROG)
Verified Member

My training & test for my very first licence in 1978

Residential course for one week ay National Carriers Peterborough

Two of us with one instructor Mon to Thu with test on Fri

Must have had 15 hours max behind the wheel

Passed on Fri

OH.... We did it in a 7.5 tonne lorry!!

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists