You are not logged in.

#1 07-09-09 17:47:00

bellydancer

speed and gear

Hi, just discovered this website and decided to sign up for it as you all seem to be having a laugh most of the time  big_smile
Just passed test and now have a 'strange' question.

I was driving at 30mile per hr at 3rd gear, as taught by instructor..... friend saw me doing it and said i should changed gears often and he got me to do it like every 20 seconds!! (no kidding!)
This was on a stretch of 30m/hr road and it was quite empty, so I was doing a consistent 30miles and so I should be in 3rd gear as I wasn't slowing down, is that correct ?

Friend said should change gears often to make efficient use of petrol ??? The more he explained, the more confused I got, can someone please tell me what's what as this is doing my head in !

Thanks

07-09-09 17:47:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: speed and gear

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 07-09-09 18:21:03

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Changing gears unneccessarily will use more fuel/put extra wear on ur gearbox...if ur car is comfortable in the gear for the speed you are travelling at then leave it there! don't give urself more work than u need to  tongue
Well done on passing  big_smile

#3 07-09-09 18:24:05

driver69

Did you pass your test by following your instructors teaching or your friends? If your instructors then I would do what s/he said  smile

#4 07-09-09 18:43:20

bellydancer

Thank u Binty and Driver 67  smile
I passed using instructor's method.
uhh, Driver 67, it would be awful if instructor turned out to be wrong and friend to be right !! I thought instructors (like examiners !) are never wrong  tongue

By the way, I post the same msg under safe driving, apolgies. just about finding my way round this website, saw 1st msg in welcome and thought that was the wrong section and reposted. Sorry, I know how to post what msg in what category now. I will be good :angel:

#5 08-09-09 05:36:21

Gizmotime
Administrator

If members wish to continue giving advice regarding Speed/ Gear, would you please do so on this link.

http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/fo … rdseen#new

Thankyou, it saves two different threads for the same question. I know the member has realised that this question was posted in the wrong place wink

Gizmotime

Board footer