You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 08-04-04 18:25:55

adi
Verified Member
Website

Left or Right??

I seem to get loads of pupils who at some point get their lefts and rights mixed up. I have a few suggestions which help occasionaly but every now and then i find a client who really can't work it out under pressure! My question is, would a DSA examiner have anything to say if there was some sort of L and R mark on the dashboard for a pupil to refer to as a last resort? smile

08-04-04 18:25:55

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Left or Right??

#2 08-04-04 18:31:45

Liesa

adi

I can't see it being a problem!

My hubby (Kev) has a little sticker in each corner of his rear view mirror, one says right the other says left, this works really well because before they signal, they check the mirror and at the same time get a prompt as to which way is which! :idea:

#3 08-04-04 18:33:34

Bob_FOADS

I have seen ADI cars with L and R stuck up in places.
I think most examiners will use hand signals / pointing if asked for at the start.
Finaly, if the pupil executs a left turn rather than a right they won't be marked down for it (if done correctly) but it can agrivate the examiner who then might mark them a bit harder out of 'spite'. I have had pupils turn the wrong way yet still pass.

#4 08-04-04 18:43:33

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Likewise I've had an L & R on my centre mirror for many years without any comment from examiners.

I have sometimes told an examiner that this pupil is prone to having 'Blond Moments' and is likely to go whichever way they like. xaminers normally give a few hand signals to these pupils.

Several years ago I had one pupil who was so bad at directions it took the examiner an extra 10 minutes to get them back to the test centre. (non blond!)

Regards,

#5 08-04-04 20:22:11

DrivingAmbition
Verified Member
Website

I had a pupil who was doing really well until the examiner asked her to turn right.  She promptly signalled left &  turned left in to a petrol station.  She safely drove through the forcourt and back out on to the main road.

She passed with 4 minors. She and her examiner had a good laugh about it at the end of the test.

www.drivingambition.info
Brackley, Northamptonshire.
off Road for under 17's
driving%20ambition%20logo.gif

menu_badges.gif

#6 08-04-04 20:58:46

Midge
Website

It was actually a senior examiner who told me to put labels on the dash after one of my pupils went the wrong way a few times on test, but they still passed.
One of the best was when an examiner at the end of the test (pupil had passed) leapt out of the car and said to me "That was terrible, she never got  the direction right once, the only way we've got back to the test centre is by me saying left everytime I wanted her to go right and right everytime I wanted her to go left."
One thing that sometimes works for my pupils is if you hold your left hand up, palm forward, thumb out, it makes an L for left, or one pupil wrote L and R on her thumb nails.
I think the stress of the test makes some people worse than they are on a lesson.

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#7 09-04-04 10:35:52

Lynne
Verified Member

What a brilliant idea about the stickers.  I have a pupil who really has a problem with this and I usually end up pointing (or saying "my side/your side") but being that she has a low concentration span and forgets to MSM after a while it may encourage her to keep at it!! (Think I may put a little arrow to remind her of side mirrors too...just kidding)

I have been in hoots of laughter reading out loud to my lot here about Midge's and Driving Ambition's tales.  I think we all have some hilarious tales to tell.  When I go out with a couple of DI friends we usually end up in fits of laughter.  Ah well it relieves the stress.

Lynne  lol

#8 09-04-04 12:20:56

Kev
Verified Member
Website

I use Left/right stickers on the mirror, I also use the same method as Midge where they use the left hand to make the letter L.   As a last resort,  I have written L/R on the back of their hands in pen,this nomally works. :?

Always look on the bright side of life.
Kev

#9 09-04-04 23:33:08

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I Write with a wipe boared marker L/R on the rear view, After a while you will find you can wipe it off and they dont have a problem  big_smile

#10 12-04-04 08:25:58

Kev
Verified Member
Website

I had a pupil that got confused with her left and right.
I would say we are turning left ,
"thats too me" turning right,"thats too you".
After 10 minutes of saying  "too me, too you", and sounding like the Chuckle Brothers it got the message across. lol

Always look on the bright side of life.
Kev

#11 19-04-04 10:10:00

Mike Geary

Hi all
  I have something a little suttle in my car.

Its a  Flower!  and it's a Rose - she is on the right hand-side of the windscreen,
     So. I say "The rose is on the Right! and "she is ALWAYS RIGHT"

everyone has said that "Rose" was very usful!!

and like some of U  I have put "R" "L" on hands, this usually makes the pupil feel a bit silly -but, they get the point!

Some pepole dont know their  R from L coz in some jobs it's not necessary.

And some of mine have turned  incorrectly , but, still passed.

Mike Geary. Another. D**ed.Idiot.

#12 19-04-04 10:12:07

Liesa

Nice one Mick!

#13 19-04-04 19:17:33

Ozzie

SIMPLE SOLUTION . . . . .

Raise your right elbow and swiftly bring it into contact with the pupils shoulder, the left arm has the bruise. Sorted.  wink

Oz

Board footer