You are not logged in.

#1 30-08-09 19:05:54

suebiker

Mazda 2 Diesel or Suzuki Swift?

Hi there

I currently use a Mazda 2 TS2 1.4 diesel which I really love - but I have been having problems with it for a while now. There appears to be issues with the amount of fuel which the engine receives which cause's it to lurch and run rough when you ease off the gas at around 30mph and then accelerate again. Has been in and out of the garage loads but they don't seem to be able to fix it. Also it has just started to jump out of reverse gear and whines  when in reverse too.(sounds like a clutch release bearing type of noise). It is currently in the garage at the moment being looked at. Currently done 34,000 miles.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a problems with theirs or have I just been unlucky. I am due to change my car soon and would like another Mazda but am concerned I may get the same problems. My previous car was a Suzuki Swift ddis which was a great training car so I am considering going back to this - however I have heard negative reviews about clutches on the new model - my old car was an 05 . I believe they now have a new engine. Does anyone currently have the new model and if so what do you think of it?

Failing that my other considerations are the new VW Polo or a Seat Ibiza.

Can any help please

Thanks

Sue

30-08-09 19:05:54

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Mazda 2 Diesel or Suzuki Swift?

#2 30-08-09 19:17:37

MJK
Verified Member

Hi Sue, I have got the same model. No problems with the fuel, in fact, I am still amazed at how economical it is, but I do have problems with engaging reverse. It was in for a service on Friday and the lady booking it in said that is a typical Mazda problem ( I suspect her bosses would not have approved of her honesty!). When I collected it she said they could not find anything wrong but had topped up the oil in the gearbox. It hasn't solved the problem.

Good luck, Mike

#3 30-08-09 20:37:18

suebiker

Hi Mike

Thanks for your response - Interesting your comment on fuel consumption. do you mind me asking asking how much you get to the gallon. I have found the fuel consumption slightly dissapointing compared to the Suzuki. I just wonder if that is because of the problems with mine - I think mine gives it too much fuel. Also what sort of mileage have you done in yours as my problems only started after 20,000 ish miles.

I will let you know if they find out what is wrong with the reverse gear.

Thanks

Sue

#4 30-08-09 20:55:54

MJK
Verified Member

That was my first service (12,500 miles) so maybe the problems you are experiencing are still ahead of me. Sorry I can't be more precise on mileage but I reckon it costs about £20 in diesel to do 200 miles. I should have known I would regret making that comment about it being economical without ever having done the sums properly!

Mike

#5 30-08-09 21:43:04

suebiker

No worries Mike

TBH not really sure what mine is doing exactly - i just seem to be putting in alot more than I was in the Suzuki!!!!!!! But that did seem to run on fresh air - it was amazing! The garage did say that alot of people were disappointed with the fuel economy compared to the official figures.  It's not bad on fuel just from the figures i expected it to be better than the Suzuki!

Really hope yours doesn't start playing up - part of me wants to get another as they are a lovely teaching car. But i still have a nagging voice which says don't do it!!!!!

I'll keep you posted on any updates

Sue

#6 05-09-09 15:26:16

nay7272

I have a petrol swift but am looking at getting a diesel swift

#7 05-09-09 17:26:00

BRAKE OR U WILL CRASH!

Hi, I am not an ADI but I do own and drive a Mazda2, but mine is petrol.

It's a lovely car to consider, good rear visability because the rear window has the dip down knd of in the middle, it also has fab large door mirrors which I like as a driver too. Comfortable seats in all models I sat in while seeing what spec I wanted to buy and even on a 1.5 Sport petrol the road tax is only £120 a year. I do believe the 2 lower specs i n a diesel engine are £35 a year, I am not sure about the 1.6 Diesel sport.

Loads of room in the front, the back and each side (left/right) of the car, I have had 4 adults in mine comfortably enough. Don;t knwo if you have children, but if you do, it has the isofix points for child seats. Roomy boot space, more than adequate for most needs including a full fornightly tesco shop smile

Oh and you get a lotta gadgets/comforts for your money. Even the BASE SPEC of the car (the TS) has manual air con, as does the TS2. The sport models have climate control.

Worth a look at. As said I have the 1.5 petrol sport model as my normal car, and with a heavyish right foot and some revving as getting used to such a new car I have been getting 35.5mpg, so not bad. Takes about £25 to get 3/4 of a tank of fuel.

Just a personal opinion of the Mazda 2. Happy choosing, whichever car you decide is right for you and your uses smile

Gemma
1st practical - 29/07/2005 4s 9m   2nd practical - 17/08/2005 1s 10m
3rd Practical - 8/09/2005 3s 6m  4th Practical - 12/10/2005 4 minor!!!
Pass Plus - Completed 4th Dec  Drives R reg Fiesta Chicane 2005-2009
Had an 09 Mazda2 Sport.
Now got my ZoomZoom 60 Mazda2 Sport.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#8 06-09-09 08:41:08

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

I've been teaching in a Mazda 2 TS 1.4 Diesel for about 4 weeks now. I had the petrol version before which was a fantastic car to drive but not so easy to teach learners, especially complete beginners! Initially, I was very concerned about lack of storage space but by using anti-slip mats I've sorted that problem and have now found ample storage space. The Mazda 2 Diesel is a brilliant car for teaching students to drive, feels very light, handles well and it's easy to drive. Fuel consumption quite good too, I'm getting 56+mpg when teaching and almost 60mpg when I'm driving. It's also much cheaper to buy than the new Ford Fiesta. I would definitely recommend.

Colin Kentish
Grade 6 DSA Approved Driving Instructor (car)
www.colinkentish.co.uk

Dream as if you'll live for ever
Live as if you'll die today

#9 06-09-09 11:38:55

Luchell
Verified Member

Well 60,500 miles later i still adore my Suzuki Swift DDIS as do my pupils. It's such a shame that my local main dealer has never managed to get a part ordered correctly in my history with them!!   roll

It's had its naughty moments and I know my partner isn't overly keen on it, certainly compared to the new shape fiesta he uses. His fiesta is full of 'gadgets' whereas my Swift is well ermmm not  lol

I've always been a person to like simple things and for me the DDIS has everything i need on it. Aircon, electric front windows, central locking, DDIS only comes in a 5 door version or it used to, may have changed now as mine is an 06 model. My door mirrors don't fold themselves in when you lock the car (Unless you walk into them with a heavy bag of some sort  lol) Unless i find something to stuff against the gas pedal there is no cruise control (which I would just cause havok with anyhow   roll) The dials are easy for me to see from the 'instructor' seat and I find it a pleasure to drive AND teach in still 3 years later.

I always found the Corsa seats agony when i used to teach in the older shape models of those which is something I have never found with my Swift even after a very long day I am still just as comfy and supported by the seats.

I would have another in a heartbeat personally  lol

#10 06-09-09 21:18:51

suebiker

Hi
Thanks for everyone for taking the time to respond to my post - I think unfortunately several of you have misunderstood my query. I have had a Diesel Suzuki swift and I loved it and found it a great teaching car. I currently have a Mazda 2 diesel which I also love . Unfortunately I have been having problems with my Mazda and I was considering going back to a Suzuki Swift. However I believe that there have been clutch issues with the new model Suzuki Swift. So now I am unsure - what I would like to know is if anyone has the new Swift model and have you had issues with the clutch or do you know someone who has had issues with the clutch. Also has anyone who has the new Mazda 2 diesel had many problems with theirs or have I just been unlucky?

Thanks

Sue

#11 07-09-09 13:32:28

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Yes there are issues with the clutch in the new model. mine is a 08 model and the car really needs tlc when reversing up hills or manoeuvering (dont think Ill ever learn how to spell that) on a hill. The gear box also is what I would describe as "clunky".  Its perfectly ok for me driving, but gets a little bit more abuse from learners.

Having said that, I love tge car and so do my pupils.  Ive been able to minimise the clutch weakness, by carefulyl teaching my pupils to  be gentle.

#12 07-09-09 19:20:18

suebiker

Hi thanks for that JonnyG

Is yours petrol or diesel?

Also what sort of mileage has yours done - would you buy another or does the clutch issue concern you enough to put you off buying again.

Thanks

Sue

#13 07-09-09 19:59:34

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Mines diesel. Done 33000 now.  I think Ill be keeping mine till the wheels fall off, as Im in no position financially to change anytime soon.  So long as the clutch doesnt give up before then.  If I had to change now, I would consider another, but like the new hyundai i20 as my dad has one, seems perfect for teaching.

#14 07-09-09 21:13:02

suebiker

Thanks JonnyG

Alot of people seem impressed with the Hyundai i10 - can you tell me if the indicator stalk is on the left or right hand side of the wheel please

Thanks

Sue

#15 20-12-09 20:48:51

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

starting to have problems with reverse gear selection, been a problem since late July, managed to put it in for a day, they said it needed lubricated, worked great for a few weeks then same old problem, this time it went in for a week while i was away on hols in Egypt, picked it up on way back from airport, worked great for a few weeks again, but starting to raise its ugly head again.

its easy to sort and to be honest not much of a problem for me, you just raise the clutch, push down, and reverse is easily selected, but some pupils are getting bleep off with it, so............ a big "get it roooon ye" phone call tomorrow now on order :evil: :evil:

anyone got similer problems?

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#16 20-12-09 22:49:08

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

Yes, I have the same problem - it's driving me mad!

Mazda 2 TS diesel

Reverse difficult to select and sometimes jumps out if not fully engaged.

I'm not happy with the gearbox in general, all gear changes are very clunky and students have problems when changing from 2nd to 3rd.

Mine is due for it's 1st service soon, so I will ask them to look at it.

I previously had a Ford Fiesta and changing gear was a dream, although reverse was still not perfect.

Colin Kentish
Grade 6 DSA Approved Driving Instructor (car)
www.colinkentish.co.uk

Dream as if you'll live for ever
Live as if you'll die today

#17 12-01-10 05:48:38

michelle1970
Verified Member

I have the Swift DDIS model on a 09 plate, no problems with the clutch or anything yet, love it

Board footer