You are not logged in.

#1 03-09-09 06:06:59

Tregster
Verified Member
Website

New Member looking for a miracle answer

Hi All,
I've been considering training for quite a while. It's more of a calling than a job to me.
I've been doing a lot of reading on this and other forums, so I feel I'm going into it with my eyes wide open. I fully appreciate the hard work and dedication needed to pass the 3 tests and realise the hours needed to earn a good living.
I've had an initial meeting with the instructor college and have had discussions with  BSM.

TIC seemed to be a good option since the college is in my local area (Bridgend, South Wales) and feel that local knowledge of the routes and of the examiners would be helpful, but it's not cheap at about £3.5K. I'm not taken in by their patter and am wise to what they try to do, but they seem like a good training school to me.
I've also been reading about pay as you go, but would be going into it blindly and wouldn't know who would be a good trainer and who wouldn't.

Does anybody on this site work or train in the Bridgend area? do you have any further advise? I've read The Squidoo link thingy and lots more, but am still hopeful of a miracle answer to match my needs. Any advice?

I'll look forward to hearing from you all.

Regards,
Neil. big_smile

Passed Part 1 - 08/12/09. 2nd attempt 99/65
Passed Part 2 - 20/01/10. 1st attempt 'Zero Faults'
Passed Part 3 - 29/06/10. 1st attempt 4 - 5

03-09-09 06:06:59

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: New Member looking for a miracle answer

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 03-09-09 06:50:28

ExAdiNigel

How much research have you done Neil?  I would guess at not a lot.  If you do a search on these forums, you will find that few people sing the praises of the Instructor College.

Have a chat with a few independent & local trainers.  Evan may be able to recommend someone but one name that springs to mind is Paddy from Tip-Top Driving http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/fo … ile;u=5873.

Good luck and keep in touch with teh forum

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#3 03-09-09 06:53:31

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Before you possibly waste thousands,  have you researched if you are actually going to make a living out of it?   

What is the average lesson price in your area?  How many  schools are giving offers of free lessons, 5 for £50 etc
Is there enough work or are the already established schools struggling, as they are in many areas of the country at present

What is the minimum income do you need to survive?  Remember that 30 hours at £22 does NOT give you £660 in your pocket, after all expenses, and tax and NI are deducted.

This is a reality check.  The training schools won't tell you anything about just how difficult it is to make a living in this job, never mind start a new school in the current climate. 
According to DSA, the average 'life' of an ADI is now less than 4 years.

Forget the hard work getting the  ADI licence, it's afterwards you need to be considering first of all.

#4 03-09-09 07:18:02

Tregster
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm pretty much 'eyes wide open'. Like I said, it's more a 'calling' than anything else. I'm fortunate enough that I don't need to be earning in excess of £30K to keep me happy, but I really want to teach. I remember the joy of passing my driving test when I was 17yrs and 2 weeks old. Yep, that's right, past after 2 weeks of being 17. Couldn't wait any longer. I've now been driving for 22 years and would love to teach and help others through their driving test. I'm prepared for the hours and working odd times etc.
I know it's easy to be sucked into the Instructor college route and other larger organisations, but the reason I'm on this forum is to benefit from your experiences and start my research. I want to do this properly and do the best for me.

As adiNigel has suggested, I've contacted Paddy via a 'PM' and look forward to a reply.

And... thanks Roadmaster. I'm trying not to be sucked in by TIC and am trying to 'keep it real'.

I have a little time on my hands this morning, so I'll pop down to the local test centre and see if I can speak to an examiner or an instructor with some time to spare while he waits for his pup to take the test.
(I'll try not to disturb anyones test!!!...)

Thanks guys... keep the advice coming please, I really appreciate it.

#5 03-09-09 11:06:35

jay666
Website

Hi there i am currently training with TIC in Wolverhampton and cant really say a bad word against them except yes they did tell me any-one can be a driving instructor and that a full diary is not difficult to achieve but with the hard work you need to put in alot of it is down to yourself and how badly you want it. smile

#6 03-09-09 21:30:56

suebiker

Hi Neil

Its alway difficult deciding who to train with. I was really lucky as I found an excellent independent trainer in my area. The reason why I chose him was because he was the only one that offered me an assessment to see if I was suitable material to become a driving instructor. It cost me £50 for a 2 hour assessment and it made more sense to me to spend £50  rather than several thousand pounds to find out whether or not it was the right job for me!

I have no personal experience of large organisations  but I do know of an awful lot of disillusioned  people who have spent alot of money and not got very good training and have therefore ended up having to pay someone else to retrain them! I am not saying that they are all bad and i am sure that there are some good one out there but you really do need to do plenty of research

Personally I would try and find someone through recommendation . When I trained it was great because it was done on a pay as you go basis which spread the cost and meant it was less of a risk financially as I could stop at any stage if I wasn't happy. I also could work the training around my job - doing the training on my days off. All training was done on a one to one basis and I also gained experience by sitting in the back watching real learners too! It was also good too as i learnt some good areas for training in too . All in all it worked out well and was much cheaper as the training was geared to my individual needs. At the end of it all my trainer helped me to get established by sending work my way.
In fact I was very fortunate as a local ADI was very ill in hospital and asked my trainer if he knew anyone who could take over his driving school whilst he was ill .So I started with a full book!!!!!!!!

Anyway now been teaching 9 years and loving it.

With regards to is there sufficient work out there - yes but only if you are good at your job !

Anyway good luck with whatever you decide to do

Sue

#7 03-09-09 22:17:17

Tregster
Verified Member
Website

I took a trip to my local test centre this morning, hoping to speak to local ADI's. They were full of good advice and recomendations of the best local ADI to instruct me. I've since been in contact with them and also contacted the DSA and ordered the ADI Starter Pack.

Well, I guess wheels are now in motion..... look out forum, here I come.  big_smile

#8 04-09-09 17:13:30

Tregster
Verified Member
Website

I had my driving assessment with TIC today. I was in the car for less than 10 mins and didn't do any reversing around bends or 3 point turns, just drove around the block.........

And guess what............ I PASSED!!!!!!

I am now eligible to join the TIC course and hand over £3,700...... What a surprise  ...... NOT!!!

Don't worry, I didn't do it.

#9 04-09-09 18:34:57

Biff

Hi Neil, look at the AA before you make your decision.
Biff.

#10 04-09-09 21:29:40

Woodyloon
Verified Member

Hi

You could save yourself a lot of money, I think you are about £3700 for pay as you go with The AA, and a fair bit cheaper if you can pay it in one, which if you take on a franchise you can get your money back over the first year by discounting your weekly franchise fee, if you start within 3 months of passing your part3. I think LDC have something similar as well, just not as big of a discount, plenty of LDC on here that can give you the correct info. Just look carefully as to what suits you, there is pro's and con's with either option.

John

Part 1   30/10/09   100/67
Part 2   29/9/10     2 d/f

#11 05-09-09 16:28:44

ExAdiNigel

Yes, look at the AA but before you sign over any money ask to speak with teh trainer who will be allocated to you.  You are going to be spending quite a bit of time with your trainer so you need to know you will get on.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Board footer