You are not logged in.

#1 28-05-09 08:33:11

mazmw

Focal points in Ford Focus

Hi, I am hoping with all your expertize you can give me an idea on what points i should be looking at for a bay park in a Ford Focus. I do have a fantastic instructor who i know on my next lesson will be going through this with me but i would like a head start so any tips and advice (sensible only please) welcome. Thanks 8-)

28-05-09 08:33:11

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Focal points in Ford Focus

#2 28-05-09 12:55:22

Lynne
Verified Member

Hi Maz.  I teach in a Focus.  You can bay park from a variety of angles, left and right reverse in,  so initially I would suggest you wait and see just how your instructor teaches you, else you may get confused.  I'm sure they have a method that you will find helpful.  Like all manoeuvres it's easy with practice but if you can't get on with their way they should be able to adjust it for you so it works, if not, then ask and I'll be happy to give you some extra tips smile 

In any case, update us with how you got on.

Lynne

#3 15-06-09 11:35:01

mazmw

Thanx Lynne

#4 16-06-09 20:14:30

Lynne
Verified Member

So, Maz, have you done any manoeuvres yet and if so, how are you doing smile

#5 05-07-09 08:11:15

mazmw

yes but i am just crap at reversing hopefully with practice i should pick it up in the end

#6 23-07-09 13:32:29

razzie

I was pretty awful at my reversing manouevres on my lessons and felt like I would never get them right - but you do eventually relax whilst doing them, and reversing is not so scary.

#7 15-08-09 14:14:16

Marc_L400

you shouldnt need focal points on any particular car to be able to perform the manover.
if your instructor is worth his weight then he will teach you to drive and perform the manovers properly and not just in a particular car to pass the test.
you will only benefit from learning focal points of your going to go out and get the exact car yourself when you pass otherwise you will just have to learn the whole thing again in any car you do get.

good luck with it big_smile

#8 16-08-09 15:38:14

Lynne
Verified Member

'Focal points' (for want of a better word) can be a good way to start them off else how on earth are they going to have any idea where to start turning?  Reversing does, unfortunately, confuse some people at first.  Once they start to get proficient at a manoeuvre they tend to find their own way but for starters I find it helps them latch on to some understanding as to where and why.

We have points (at first) to help beginners line correctly up against a kerb, know where to turn, know where to stop etc., Why should it be different for reversing?

And. For what it's worth, 'focal points' for me are the same if I'm in my Focus or Pajero as these 'focal points' represent the vehicle being at a certain point in the road.  I won't consciously think about them now of course but I analysed this stuff doing this job and I know they are the same.

In time pupils learn to (hopefully) steer to where they want to go.  I don't understand why some instructors have stickers in their back left window as 6' 5" pupils see things differently from 5' nothings.

If it helps pupils gain a better understanding and helps them understand more easily don't worry about being given focal points.  I have a sheet typed out for my peeps!!  It's knowing where and why and what they are looking for that's important so they can apply it to anything.

Well, that's my opinion.  big_smile

#9 19-08-09 17:17:12

Marc_L400

i understand what you mean and i was aiming it more at the sticker jobbys,as you say,what good are stickers when people of different heights see things differently.

#10 22-08-09 04:41:53

ExAdiNigel

I'm with Lynne on this one.  Focal points are a good way of developing manoeuvring skills, whatever car you are in.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#11 26-08-09 10:48:28

mazmw

Thanks for all the advice everyone i have had a few weeks break from driving lessons as my instructor been on holiday, but i got a lesson in an hour, nervous i have forgot everything already, but i am determined to crack this reversing lark, i will let you all know how i get on and thanks again

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#12 26-08-09 11:17:02

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Focal points are a good way of developing manoeuvring skills, whatever car you are in.

Too true, I try to use 'universal' ref points which won't vary much from car to car. I also teach them to establish their own ref points, not just use mine.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

Board footer