You are not logged in.

#1 15-08-09 11:22:56

Lucky245
Verified Member

Passed part 3 at last :) Writeup added

Passed on my 3rd attempt after 2 years hard slog.  Was convinced I had failed again so didn't ring test centre.  Pass came through post today.  Still in shock.

Will do write up later once I had time for it to sink in  tongue

"Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean its wrong!!!"

RoADA Gold

15-08-09 11:22:56

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Passed part 3 at last :) Writeup added

#2 15-08-09 11:52:17

sipin
Verified Member

Well done Lucky245, you have shown that if you stick at it you will achieve your goals

Even when things go wrong you can learn from them

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 15-08-09 12:34:11

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Very well done!  big_smile

#4 15-08-09 15:09:27

jay666
Website

Well done. Hard work does pay off to all smile

#5 15-08-09 15:31:40

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Great News. Im so pleased for you Colin.

Looking forward to this write up, its been a long time coming, just like mine was. 

Congratulations. Who had you been training with in the end?

#6 15-08-09 16:32:22

Lucky245
Verified Member

Stevie Morris, and every time I failed it was because of things I forgot to do, or did too late.  Stevie covered everything so I can only blame myself for the previous 2 failures.  1st failure obviously being I wasn't ready, Second eddie just played me ragged, 3rd eddie again but I remembered what he had done previously and nailed him before he made the mistake and apologised if he said he was about to do the correct thing.  Still felt I failed and am still waiting to wake up.  smile

RoADA Gold

#7 15-08-09 17:17:04

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Stevens a good guy.  Just couldnt sort me out 100% though, I pushed him to his limit and still didnt make it.
Glad you got it without starting over again, unlike me.

Get your head together again, relax, do the write up, grab your ADI badge and start working your butt off ( not necessarily in that order)

Enjoy the new career.

#8 15-08-09 18:10:04

Lucky245
Verified Member

Thanks big_smile

RoADA Gold

#9 16-08-09 08:32:02

mon
Verified Member
Website

Well done mate,thats the good news story i need to be hearing.
mon

From Striving to Driving.....Lurgan Co.Armagh

#10 16-08-09 15:05:35

Lucky245
Verified Member

Ok folks this is long but as accurate as I remember

Find below a true and honest reflection as I remember it of my 3rd attempt of the Part3 exam.

Background
1st attempt PST 4 : Wasn’t ready for this (instructor agreed) but I wanted to see what it was like (idiot).  Delayed result  3:3

2nd attempt PST 8: Was ready, but fell apart from outset.  Didn’t do ‘T’ Junction brief in Test Centre but after we had already completed 3 ‘T’ junctions, (wondered why he wasn’t playing   roll ).  Examiner (E.D.) is well renown for playing a total idiot, but in hindsight played it mainly by the book.  If I said slow down a bit (doh) he slammed on brakes.  Speed up a bit, hit the gas hard.  Keep it at about 20 – 25 mph (built up area) he just stared at speedo.  Total disaster. Phase 2, came up behind another car at lights and stopped tyres on tarmac, so I didn’t say anything, then he moved forward.  In debrief he said I should have ensured he stopped and that he doesn’t give chances and I should have stopped the fault happening not rectified it afterwards.  Did brief for crossing other traffic and 7 times he did it wrong even though I had identified, analysed and remedial actioned each one beforehand.  Said in debrief that everyone was perfect and that he was just checking I really knew my stuff.  I had been told previously that if you get it right they generally play along, but because he didn’t I became focussed on trying to work out what I was doing wrong and almost certainly missed other faults as a consequence.
Delayed result 3:3

So that’s a taster of the examiners mindset.  Now onto 3rd attempt, prayed I wouldn’t get E.D. again. But low and behold I did.  Had to think hard whether to give it a go or just walk off.  Decided sod it, go for it.  Got PST 7 Approaching Left and rights.  Got into car and gave brief.  (the only thing I felt I knew would be right this time).  Q&A loads on previous experience, not much as expected.  Just about to move off and I reminded about all round Obs, “I was just about to do that” he said, “Well, I felt a reminder might help” I said with a smile (not letting him intimidate me).  Started drive, missed a left mirror check did I.A.R. As we approached lights missed centre mirror check I.A.R.  Came to first right turn, initiated MSPSL and confirmed turning point and bring back up clutch.  “I think I know that much, he said” “Well better safe than sorry” I said.  He still cut corner.  Pulled him over and reconfirmed guides. And also reiterated crossing other traffic, forgot at this point if that was part of lesson but after last attempt (2nd) hammered him with it anyway.  Came up to first left and he increased speed put on wrong signal and missed left mirror check.  Started to I.A.R. on signal and lost plot, what I.A.R. should I be doing.  We got around corner and I pulled him over.  I.A.R on MSPSL, then each fault speed, signal, mirror, gear.  He did keep clutch up (whew one less to do).  Re Q&A’ed him to ensure he understood everything and then said to move on.  Again just as he went to release hand brake reminded him of all round Obs.  Again he commented he was going to do that, I commented (thought I went a bit OTT at this point but what the heck) Out of role, on my last attempt you told me at debrief to not wait until you made the mistake, so that’s what I intend doing.  He smiled and carried on.  Came up to Crossroads, ensured correct road position and talked through Crossroads and judging crossing path of other traffic, how to judge etc, etc.  Turned left, then right (T Junctions)  The next right he came at too fast, got him to start MSPSL’s,  Started OK but left braking too late, squeeze brake, more, more. Managed to get his speed down but he cut the corner (no road markings).  Pulled him over and quickly spoke to him about unmarked roads, “imagine there is a bin lorry sitting there next time” (handy as it is bin emptying day).  Round circuit again, coming up to right turn again, started MSPSL, now get that speed down and remember that bin lorry is sitting there.  Did the turn perfectly.  Did a few more left and right turns all OK.  Moved onto main road.  At next right turn which is a dual carriageway type crossroads with lights, he cut across at angle, with oversteer.  I did I.A.R. for turning point.  Another right turn, again needed to remind him of turning point, right mirror check and crossing other traffic.  Still did it wrong, (ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh).  Went round circuit again, this time at carriageway crossroads I told him not to turn until I told him to.  Perfect at last, but only because I was telling him exactly when to turn.  Time ticked on and he pulled over to say end of phase1.    With sweat lashing, camel breath, and tongue so dry I felt it would burst, I exited car with trusty diet coke bottle and recomposed myself for phase 2.   

Phase 2.
Part trained nearly ready for test teach Pedestrian crossing and hand signals.  Face dropped, for some unknown reason I thought this was a recap then drive, but he wanted a complete brief.  Oh well here we go.  Started with hand signals, scenario and what they were.  Ok, so I then asked him to demo a right turn, window down hand began to move, “stop” what about checking blind spot.  “ Oh yeh he said” “Well I don’t want to take you to A&E before our lesson ends I said and really don’t feel like cleaning blood off of my car’s interior” and smiled.  He smiled back.  He then check blind spot and put arm out palm towards rear of car.  So I corrected this and then got him to bring arm back in.  Next slowing down, same fault, no blind spot.  This I time I asked what would he think would happen if the bin lorry (20 yards behind and closing) had been closer when he put his arm out.  “guess we would have been going to hospital he said” “Well you would, I commented back”  Next time carried out procedure correctly.  Here we go I thought, and started pedestrian crossings brief.  Near the end of brief he stopped me and insisted we finish brief as time was moving on (True we were at 10 mins already, due to his messing around).  Quickly I skimmed over remainder of brief.  Started circuit.  Q&A’s on zigzag lines, “no stopping or overtaking” he said, I corrected the stopping statement and finished up the whys etc.  Next crossing asked what type of crossing this was, pelican he said and started to accelerate.  “Off the gas” I commanded and asked him why we wouldn’t accelerate towards a crossing, didn’t remember so I did I.A.R. sequence.  All this time there were cars parked on the left but ahead it became clear ahead so I reminded him to move back in to the left.  As expected his hand moved towards the indicator stalk, “no indicator”, I said and asked him why, of course he didn’t remember, I reminded him.  Ahead we could see another crossing (Doh, I hadn’t to date mentioned the MSM on approach)  I quickly rectified this and mentioned scan and plan the  why’s and wherefore’s.  Just as we approached the lights turned red. He revved engine.  I told him not to and what else he shouldn’t do, flash lights etc, and why.  Then pointed out the flashing amber light and asked when we could move on.  He actually answered correctly this time.  Moved up road through 3 more sets of crossings and remembered MSM, scan and plan, re Q&Ad zigzags, beckoning pedestrians and not stopping on crossing.  On approach to roundabout there are double zebra crossings i.e pole in middle of road as well, with hardly enough space between crossing and roundabout for one car.  I knew instinctively what he was going to do, so as he approach he slowed down to almost stopping correctly and then did his old trick of going to move forward but I nailed him good.  “Stop”, then Q&A’d why I had told him to stop.  Great, got the son of a b**ch.  As we went around roundabout he commented on the zebra crossing having a pole in the middle (must have been reminding me I had missed this out on the brief due to the shortened brief, so I praised him for noticing and explained the difference between this type of zebra crossing and a single zebra crossing.  Wanted me to get him to turn right at second junction on right, as predicted he tried to indicate too early, stopped this and Q&A’d why.  Then on way back he was to turn left but put on right signal, got him to correct this and then asked him why etc etc.  Back at test centre asked me how he did, I commented that he had improved greatly but still need a bit more practice.

Felt much better than previous attempt but was convinced I had missed too many things to pass, plus some of my statements may have been too brash. 

Didn’t ring centre on Friday for result as I was convinced I failed and didn’t want to spoil my weekend, but miracle upon miracles Saturday morning arrived and an A4 envelope,  Passed.

Still waiting to wake up  4:5

RoADA Gold

#11 16-08-09 17:27:16

john55
Verified Member

big congrats on your pass Lucky and what a good write-up too.

that seemed like really hard work. well done for sticking in there.  smile

If you can't do it safely don't do it at all

#12 16-08-09 17:44:52

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Good write up. I had Eddie on my 5th attempt and didnt let him budge an inch unless he was doing as I said.  Seems you got a good hold of him there.  I felt I had failed too after my one with him, but got 5/5. 
http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/fo … #msg210585 

You did the important Q&A and kept your cool which is the secret.

Well done again.

#13 16-08-09 19:19:35

wolves
Verified Member

Wel done on your passand excellent wright up.
Regards Paul

Part 1.....100% & 57  passed 1st Time
Part 2.....4 minors     Passed 1st Time
Part 3.....3 & 3         Failed 1st attempt
part 3.....2 & 3         Failed 2nd attempt
part 3.....3 & 4         Failed 3rd attempt
part 1..Round2..96% & 68% passed 1st time
Part 2..Round2..3 minors 1 serious failed 1st attempt
Part 2..Round2..5 minors Passed 2nd attempt
Part 3..Round2..4 & 3 Failed 1st attempt
part 3..round2..3 & 3 failed 2nd attempt
part 3..round2..4 & 5 PASSED 3rd attempt woohoo!

Board footer