You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 11-08-09 22:52:28

bap2378

passing part 3

:)hi all.
i'm a pdi waiting for my part 3 to come along (less than 1 month)
can anyone give me some advice/ information about what to expect.
i,m on a pink at the moment which has given me some good experiance but is this going to be enough or am i doomed before i start!
i have spoken to a few adi's whilst waiting at test centre's and i have started to get the impression the examiners are not the nicest of people at test time.
i appreciate they need to make sure you know what you are doing but how far off a "normal" lesson do they take it.
if anyone can spare a few minutes to help me out i would be most grateful.
thanks all. 

11-08-09 22:52:28

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: passing part 3

#2 12-08-09 08:04:27

venesh

just remember a pink is nothing like part 3

#3 12-08-09 12:03:37

mon
Verified Member
Website

Hi you haven't stated what additional training you have put in, ie with a good quality trainer..
Mon

From Striving to Driving.....Lurgan Co.Armagh

#4 13-08-09 13:52:42

paulcook
Verified Member
Website

Hi Bap.

I'm in a similar boat to you, i.e. my part 3 is less than a month away.  However, i've made 2 previous attempts, and I'm also coming to the end of my 2nd (and last) pink licence.  From my 2 previous attempts (and watching the famous Blaine Walsh videos), I feel the penny is finally dropping.

I'd say the priority on your exam is to I.A.R.   Particularly, remember the "A", i.e. asking Why / What / Where / Why / How with regards to the fault.  I failed twice because of jumping too quickly into the "R".

Paul Cook, ADI, Grade 5, DIAmond Special Test

#5 13-08-09 16:00:04

Luchell
Verified Member

When you say you failed twice previously for jumping in too quickly on 'the R', as opposed to failing for jumping in too quickly would you say it was more so for jumping to conclusions ( as in not analysing it effectively )  on the cause of the fault therefore being unable to offer the most appropriate remedy?

I found when I took mine a few years back the overwhelming generally negative opinion (mostly I came across this in the test centre to be honest) was enough to knock most peoples confidence and convince them it was more than likely over before they had started since as it was that 'hard' to do, or that awful, or the S.e's were horrendous / made faults learner would NEVER do (Or so they thought at the time) etc etc. It was a godsend I had this forum to come to, I realised that perhaps it wasn't really all that awful if you went in as prepared as possible and you actually believed in yourself!! That bit is VERY important, nothing worse than doubting most of the words coming out of your mouth or siezing up with nerves where you are second guessing each sentence you're about to say. By that time chasing your tail becomes a losing battle where too much has built up to deal with or it feels that way. TAKE CONTROL. YOUR car, YOUR rules. This is a pupil sat next to you who as long as you keep control of them the way you would your pupils can't get away with too much.

I found things alot easier looking at it this way as when i actually sat my part 3 the guy sat next to me really was my pupil. He needed my help and what a nice chap he even told me just what area of his driving he needed that help on. Handy stuff  lol lol

All i needed to do was feel confident in my ability to talk a pupil through what i needed them to do, to know my subject, to be confident in what i was teaching my pupil to do. To know the answers to issues relating to any given topic that could come up, and to most certainly NOT care which 'PST' i was about to be thrown. The amount of terrible things i had heard about this Pst and that Pst, thank goodness I hadn't taken that on board too much or it would have been over before it started. I had pst 10 WITH overtaking, lovely stuff. I had read and heard so much about how hard such a topic would be, dealing with more than one subject, I had even read many a time there was almost no chance I would get overtaking in the combination (Hummm good job i went well prepared eh  lol) Bare that in mind with being given a RIGHT reverse to teach as well, make sure you are comfy teaching both right and left that way you will never be caught out by the subject matter you are given to teach on the part 3 since as it's mostly 50/50 on which you will be asked to teach for Pst 4.

A rather wise chap a few years back helped me no end by giving me a couple of pointers to help me feel confident right from the word go once the test began. 1/ Park your car near the back of the test centre car park where possible, give yourself the time you need to get that S.e out the car park the way YOU want them to. No rally driving, no bumper cars, no 'how many points per pedestrian' just....... controlled moving off meaning any onlookers should see me looking relatively calm as opposed to the delightful situation of 'how hard can I grab my seat to hold on whilst this pupil gets me the hell out of here'  yikes lol  There's no way i would have tolerated that on my pink and i wasn't about to tolerate that on my part 3 either!

I asked my chappy what sort of speed we would be going across this nice bendy quiet car park at and how he intended to do that (Relevant of course to what you are given to teach, not much use saying any of that on controls lesson really) If you have phase 1 junctions emerging you have now given yourself the most time you could to get your talk through in to get them out of that first emerge safely and correctly. Leading to a nice composed instructor which I can promise you goes great lengths to gaining you success. Start as you mean to go on and all that  lol wink

#6 14-08-09 07:34:17

paulcook
Verified Member
Website

Luchell, with regards to your first para, yes that's exactly what I did.  Jumped to conclusions.  Didn't ask the probing "open" questions, and jumped in with my diagnosis.  I suppose if you compare it to the medical profession, you'd rather your GP took the time to do a bit of fact finding before just jumping in and saying "take 2 of these twice a day".   Well here's hoping Bap and I can pull it off in September.

Paul Cook, ADI, Grade 5, DIAmond Special Test

#7 20-08-09 09:12:39

benji

Hi this is my first post so sorry for any mistakes, pasted pt3 10/7/2009 got pst4 on phase1 was a bag of nerves but took my time on drive to site i watched him like a hawk when he missed a blind spot check moving away stopped him told him what he had done wrong what the danger was then  asked why he did`nt do it from then on he checked every time.On phase 2 again watched like a hawk cut corner r/t stopped him told him danger next i will promt you and so on he gave me 1or2 life-lines i got 4/5, in short keep control and keep calm and smile i even had a few jokes with the se during test hope this helps good luck

#8 20-08-09 10:50:07

Lucky245
Verified Member

Must agree with previous post and as I passed last Thursday I wrote up my Exam in as much detail as possible give it a read (Not saying its conclusive or perfect but its my recollection).  My advice is I.A.R. everything even if you slightly jump the gun, better to be too early than too late.  And one of the main mistakes I made was starting the I.A.R. on a fault while another potential fault was looming large. e.g incorrect timing of signal when you know they are about to do a left 1st gear turn and haven't started slowing down.

Hope that helps

"Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean its wrong!!!"

RoADA Gold

#9 20-08-09 22:00:36

bap2378

thanks for your reply, it was really helpful.

Board footer