You are not logged in.

#1 03-08-09 11:41:37

ydnab40

Hi. Thinking about training to become an adi

Hi there.  My name is Andy.  I have been driving for my work since I left school way back in 1982.  First as a van driver with the post office then as a hgv driver (lgv C+E to give it it's proper title) for the last  17 years. currently I work for a large supermarket delivering to stores across the country overnight.  Oh, and somewhere in there I also fittied in being a bus driver for First Northampton!!

Although I love driving, i have been increasingly dissatisfied with working for large corporations and over the last 6 years or so have been thinking about becoming self-employed.  Many people over the years have said that I should set up as a driving instructor as I seem to have infinite patience with other road users when I am out and about. 

The idea of passing my experience on to others excites me to say the least. I feel that driving is a bit of a lost art nowadays and way too many people get more stressed than they should over driving. I wish I could teach people not only how to drive but how to enjoy driving like I do!

I am currently looking into what is involved in getting to be an adi and how I can acheive this without breaking the bank.  hope to catch many of you around on these forums. Bye for now.

03-08-09 11:41:37

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Hi. Thinking about training to become an adi

#2 03-08-09 11:51:59

Ttomttom

It's a great life if you don't weaken, I suggest you pay as you go. Do not under any circumstances pay up front for the course.

#3 03-08-09 12:06:41

ydnab40

That's what i was thinking too. no way can i affor £3000 up front only to find out half way through the course that it's not for me after all. the missus would never forgive me!!

I have a book called "the driving instructors handbook" which I am about to start reading but I think my next stage of research is to actually meet and talk to some adi's and find out what it is really like being an instructor.

Still, can't be any worse than 60 hour weeks as a lorry driver with no weekends off and no job satisfaction can it?

One thing I may do, which is unrealated to becoming an adi but may help, is to take my advanced driver exam with the local institute of advanced motorists.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 03-08-09 12:10:01

VandADI
Administrator

Hi Andy and welcome smile

This may be of some interest to you in your quest to becoming an ADI
http://www.squidoo.com/driving_instructors

#5 03-08-09 12:11:40

YorkshireRose

Hiya, I think you should ring around a few different companies and ask to meet up with their regional manager. That way you can ask as many questions as you like and see if that company and career is right for you.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 03-08-09 14:29:57

Doc
Verified Member
Website

It's a great life if you don't weaken, I suggest you pay as you go. Do not under any circumstances pay up front for the course.

That is an extremely strong post and very off putting to anyone considering paying up front. I'm sorry but i can only disagree with this comment. Many instructors on this forum decided on paying up front and have gone on to become successful instructors. If you are implying that the OP should consider carefully of who to avoid paying up front, then that is entirely a different matter and should be backed up with a name and reason. If you have paid as you trained then of course pass on your experience but it is not good posting to condemn other establishments that you have no personal experience with, simply because they ask for an up front payment.

Anyway, to the OP

As the previous 2 posters suggest, do speak to as many trainers and training establishments as you feel necessary to find the right course for you. I paid up front with LDC and could not be happier with the training i received. They are definately worth checking out, both on this forum and in person. I'm sure others will post of their own training experiences and offer who to consider and who to avoid.

#7 03-08-09 14:35:17

jay666
Website

Totally agree with Doc. I also paid upfront and although it seemed alot of money, i have no complaints at all and have recieved excellent training and found it very enjoyable and i am training with The Instructor College by the way. Good luck with whatever you decide smile

#8 05-08-09 22:27:33

shelley

Hi, i'm paying as i go, £30 a lesson with an ADI trainer with 23 years experience. I'm getting on great as it fits in around my curent job for now, finding it interesting and have just passed my part 1 so long way to go yet but i'm getting there!

#9 05-08-09 22:46:34

c-way
Verified Member
Website

I started off my career from bsm at the hanley branch in stoke, couldn't fault them at the time nor the bsm training programme, yes it's pay up front and costly but I felt I got value for money and it helped me achieve my goal.  Once qualified I stayed with them as I was going to be moving to a different part of the country and that helped me to start again in my new location.  It's horses for courses but work out whats best for you financially and interview each provider as to what they can provide for you - you're the customer, make sure you get value for money and insist on getting your monies worth but be prepared to work hard to achieve your goal.  Best of luck to you.   smile

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#10 05-08-09 22:51:18

Ttomttom

I don't see anything wrong with putting people off parting with their money, any professional company worth it's salt will understand that the service it provides is worth paying for and will not mind in the slightest if people want to pay as they go. But in your own indomitable way, you are correct.
What I should have said is what I actively promote, and that is: "do not pay up front under any circumstances" until you have met your trainer and established that you like the method of teaching and the ethics he/she works to.

#11 05-08-09 22:54:26

Ttomttom

If everybody paid as they went, the companies that survive on generating cash flow would collapse overnight.

Good riddance to bad rubbish lol big_smile

#12 05-08-09 23:55:57

ydnab40

Thanks for all the replies. I've been busy at work so not had much chance to read them yet. Apologies for any smelling pishtakes, I'm replying to this from my mobile phone while I'm waiting for my trailer to get tipped.
Bsm have a big presence in northamptom and I've also seen a place called bradley's advertising in local press as well.
The only reason I prefer payg is that I simply don't have the sort of money that these pay up front places want. I can, however pay bit by bit as I go along. I'm still in the early stages of my research into who to go with. I've spent the last year or so looking at what is involved and now I'm just trying to adress my concerns and questions before I decide whether to go for it. Anyway, thanks for all the replies, I'll read them in more depth in the morning when I get home from work and post a more in depth reply.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 06-08-09 11:59:11

Doc
Verified Member
Website

I don't see anything wrong with putting people off parting with their money, any professional company worth it's salt will understand that the service it provides is worth paying for and will not mind in the slightest if people want to pay as they go. But in your own indomitable way, you are correct.
What I should have said is what I actively promote, and that is: "do not pay up front under any circumstances" until you have met your trainer and established that you like the method of teaching and the ethics he/she works to.

firstly, it's not your money and therfore not your responsibility on how the owner uses it and secondly, if you want your opinions to be respected then be balanced in what you have to offer by giving reason and/or experience. You made a strong statement only for other respected users of the forum to come along and offer their experience of what you say you should not do under any circumstance. You then look foolish and your opinion will easily be brushed aside as it holds no weight to the reader posing the question.

#14 06-08-09 12:14:16

Doc
Verified Member
Website

If everybody paid as they went, the companies that survive on generating cash flow would collapse overnight.

Good riddance to bad rubbish lol big_smile

Following on from my last post, here is another example of an opinion that will be dismissed. There is nothing in your posts that would suggest you are a recognised business advisor and unless you have experience of all the training companies the term "bad rubbish" holds no weight. My advice to you would be to get yourself recognised as an authority in this business and perhaps then even your negative opinions may be listened to by those who don't seek further clarification. Anyone conducting research into this industry will look beyond what you have to say and that would be a shame as you seem to enjoy posting. Credibility is not a bad thing to build up.

PS what i have written above in no way infers that i see myself as an authority. I try to give a balanced view and can only hope that my advice can be helpful to the reader.

#15 06-08-09 15:03:14

Ttomttom

PS what i have written above in no way infers that i see myself as an authority.

You cannot say what you have said then say that, how on earth can you attempt to patronise then evade all responsiblility for it.

If you are going to stand up and make a statement at least have the gumption to stand behind it otherwise you stand the risk of being seen as shallow or gutless.

I have spent my whole working life in the service industry, and if i say don't part with money then I am happy to stand by that. I think it is better to be cautious than live with a potential regret.

If I say a company is built on cash flow and can only survive by generating new customers who want to pay up front, then this is something that can and should be taking into consideration.

Here is a bit of advice from a southerner Doc, next time you stand on a soap box look out for the lil feller who is going to kick it away from under yers.

Be nice and people will be nice back. xx I hope your day is better tomorrow.

#16 06-08-09 15:30:14

Mars
Verified Member
Website

Some interesting posts here - obviously there are good and bad experiences had by people both with 'Pay up Front' and pay as you go.

The big advantage of 'Pay as You Go' is that you can opt out at any point for any reason.  I have a few trainees who have been very unhappy with big pay up front companies and got into rreal difficulties with training/trainer and could not get satisfaction.   The gist of the answers seemed to be, you've paid your money now take it or leave it.

You are nowhere near me in Kent but have a look at my website it may give you a few ideas about selecting a trainer..................not that this thread is short of ideas !!! 

www.drivinginstructorpro.co.uk

#17 06-08-09 15:32:23

earthling

For my tuppence worth, when I spoke to my adi about this thread earlier, she said she personally advises people to go on a pay as you go basis. This, she said, is partly due to the current economic climate and not being guaranteed a job 'x' amount of months down the line (as with any job) and also, should the op's circumstances change a few months later, and they find they are no longer able to pursue the training, they have only lost what they have already paid out and aren't 'contracted' so to speak.

#18 06-08-09 15:43:03

Doc
Verified Member
Website

I made that note so as to avoid you using the fact that i advised you to become an authority as a statement of my own authority. You've managed to use it anyway, so point lost.

You say the things you say and offer no substantiation. What assistance is that to anyone?

You say don't part with money up front, under no circumstance. I parted with money up front and live to tell the tale, as others have also. Where is the weight of your convictions? you say you stand by them but still don't offer reasoning. It's a shame you feel patronised, that is certainly not my intention. No doubt what i have said has cut to the bone with you, as you seem to be deeply offended with my posts. Again, this is not my intention. Your advice -if taken up- could have a negative affect on someones training and someones business as a trainer and you give your reason simply as, If i say it's so then it's valid. that's a poor answer. As for soap boxes and lil fellers, i am not preaching to you and if you feel like a lil feller then i would suggest there is something wrong with your own self esteem.

#19 06-08-09 15:50:10

Ttomttom

Maybe it is your airs of condescension, dear boy and we can all do that.

#20 06-08-09 16:48:24

jem
Verified Member

Hi Andy. I qualified over 10 years ago and paid up front for my training. I passed all 3 parts first time so my trainer must have been pretty good. I used my redundancy money to pay for the training. Now a word of caution to help you make your decision. There were over 100 people made redundant at the same time as me and 8 others paid up front for their training also. None of the others ever qualified to be an ADI. What a waste of money and time for every one of them.

There are plenty of people who pay up front and find the training either too tough or realise they aren't cut out for the job. I would advise you to pay as you go because for all you know you may be one of these people. Passing all 3 parts first time is pretty rare from what I hear so it's a long haul. Think carefully before handing over your money.

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.

#21 06-08-09 17:04:00

ydnab40

Wow this thread certainly has taken on a life of it's own!!
I want to tread cautiously, a few years ago I paid upfront for an I.T course that made me realise that I didn't really want to take a career in that industry after all and keep it as a hobby.

Even though I have driven for my employment for the last 27 years and have unofficially taught ppl basics of driving a lorry, i still have my doubts about whether. Could make a good enough living from being a driving instructor. I have no doubts as to my ability to do the job but am not sure aboutbeing self employed just yet.

I think the nxt stage of my research is to actually meet up with some adi's and adi instructors to get a better picture of what it is like to be a driving instructor.

Once again, sorry about the grammar and spelling. I'm on my mobile phone at work again!! Another 60 hour week!

#22 06-08-09 17:17:45

DampDog
Verified Member

ydnab40

You've probably worked out for yourself opinion is fairly divided on which is the best route to becoming an ADI. Bottom line is take the route which suits your own needs best. They both have advantages and drawbacks.

1.PAYG
Just what it says on the tin. Pay for each lesson as you go, you might want to pay up-front for a few at a time to get a slightly lower price, that's up to you. PAYG tend to be independents, so look for an ORDIT reg'd one, it's no guarantee but it should point you towards the right type of trainers. Because they're independent chances are they won't always be able to guarantee you work or a place with school. Advantages are; should you have a change of mind and decide it's not for you, that all you'll spend and be able to walk away.

UP-Front.
The "Big-Boys," Disadvantage is that you're immediately out of pocket to the tune of £2000-3000. So if you're 6 weeks in and hate it, the money's already spent. For some that's the incentive they need to get to the end. With some there are tales of patchy training and the poor "customer" service that goes with larger organisations. Advantages are that you'll not be on your own so should be able to pair up with a training buddy which can help.

Best advice is choose the route that suits your needs.

Spend some time reading the threads on this forum. It's an easy industry to spend lots of money in and come away with nothing but an empty wallet. Part 3 pass rate is around 23% I think (I'm sure someone will correct me, they usually do) that means 77 out of every 100 spend thousands just to fail at the first attempt, then either give up, or have to find more money for additional training.

I'm sure people will add to what I've said on both sides... Personally I chose PAYG, because for me the advantages, out weighed the disadvantages, but that's what I thought would work best for me.

Just try to find the BEST trainer you can, not the cheapest.

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#23 06-08-09 20:57:02

Mars
Verified Member
Website

Good advice above, not sure about the ORDIT registered aspect, it doesnt guarantee a good trainer, there are some crap ORDIT registered trainers/organisations and some very good non-ORDIT registered ones.

I think meeting your trainer, not some admin manager, and making sure you can work with him/her and you like their methods is probably as important as anything.

#24 06-08-09 21:50:41

mon
Verified Member
Website

Just heard a horror story about an IncREDible Driver Training school chasing and threatning with Legal action a friend of my family whom went on a so called assesment with this bunch of cowboys,he was told he was perfect for this job(they all are) he signed some forms 2 weeks later he had a heart attack and tried to get out of the course,no way mate £3500 please so I'm told,beware..........

From Striving to Driving.....Lurgan Co.Armagh

#25 06-08-09 22:34:28

samds
Verified Member
Website

Hi there.  My name is Andy.  I have been driving for my work since I left school way back in 1982.  First as a van driver with the post office then as a hgv driver (lgv C+E to give it it's proper title) for the last  17 years. currently I work for a large supermarket delivering to stores across the country overnight.  Oh, and somewhere in there I also fittied in being a bus driver for First Northampton!!

Although I love driving, i have been increasingly dissatisfied with working for large corporations and over the last 6 years or so have been thinking about becoming self-employed.  Many people over the years have said that I should set up as a driving instructor as I seem to have infinite patience with other road users when I am out and about. 

The idea of passing my experience on to others excites me to say the least. I feel that driving is a bit of a lost art nowadays and way too many people get more stressed than they should over driving. I wish I could teach people not only how to drive but how to enjoy driving like I do!

I am currently looking into what is involved in getting to be an adi and how I can acheive this without breaking the bank.  hope to catch many of you around on these forums. Bye for now.

Hi Andy

Nice to read about your enthusiasm, takes me back to when I started out.  Here's some info http://www.smartdriving.org/

I started with BSM paying upfront with a career development loan.  Looking back it was a good experience.

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

Board footer