You are not logged in.

#1 10-05-09 16:39:45

Woodyloon
Verified Member

Working Week

Hi

What is a typical working week for a driving instructor, how is your day split up? It has been mentioned that 30hrs is about average or even desirable hours to work every week, and that a driving instructor has to work evenings,weekends etc, just wonder how other instructors balance their working week.
Also because your are your boss and have the flexibility to choose your hours, how do instructors balance that side of the job (For example if you have children who had sports on at the weekend and some nights and if say the instructors has a hobby or hobbies himself, is it possible to work round these hobbies?). Can say 30 hrs be achieved, without being available 7 days a week, not saying I would not be working weekends or at nights, but just wondering if you can find a balance to accommodate lifes other interests?
I am asking because I have for almost 20 years worked shifts and this has involved working weekends etc, so it is not that I don't want to work weekends and nights, just wondering can a decent worklife balance be found as a driving instructor?

Thanks

John

Part 1   30/10/09   100/67
Part 2   29/9/10     2 d/f

10-05-09 16:39:45

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Working Week

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 10-05-09 18:15:55

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

A typical day is start at 8am, 3 clients; lunch 90 mins; 3 clients; then home. I will do an extra hour over lunch if necessary, but prefer[need] the break. I do not work later than 7pm although most in my area do.

I am married without kids; husband works 13 hour shifts. Over a repeated fortnightly cycle my days off are sunday, friday, then tuesday & wednesday. [my weekend in the week]

30 hours in 5 days is do-able perhaps not from the outsett as it takes time to build up your clients, later on you can dictate when your working, and when your off.

You will find that clients want weekend & evening slots so you may have to comply to achieve your goal of 30 hours.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#3 10-05-09 18:20:52

FRANKS
Verified Member

start at 9 and last one 6, hour for lunch if I'm lucky.

tues & thurs pick kids (3) up from school

Work half day sat

so if I'm luck can do 40 lessons a week

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#4 10-05-09 18:21:30

keith williams
Verified Member

I used to work 30 hours a week, starting at 9.30 and usually finished at about 6.30 with a run home for lunch in the middle. Always tried to keep a half day clear on a wednesday and only ever worked saturday morning. Had to do the odd evening but always tried to avoid it.

2 hour lessons are very useful for planning your day as there's going to be slightly less travel time. Try as much as you can to arrange your lessons with as little travel as possible inbetween and that will help keep the hours down.

It will take a long time though to get it right, you have to work more than you need to at first and then try and work it down. It's very difficult to get any consistancy unfortunately. If you push most of your clients hard enough though you will find they are available much more than they let on at first. Work to live, not the other way around. Don't give up hobbies to suit learners

#5 10-05-09 19:18:24

samds
Verified Member
Website

Sunday/Monday off but I use these days for extra lessons.

Work Tuesday to Saturday

I aim to do 5 to 7 lessons each day.

2 x 1 hour or 2 hour lesson
Break
Break
Home

No later than 8pm finish 1 day a week usually 4.30 to 6.30pm finish

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

#6 10-05-09 22:54:58

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Thing I love about this job for me is....there is no such thing as a typical week/day  big_smile
Aslong as I do a minimum of 15hrs I can live...but my average is 25hours. I dont have a set day off (my choice I hate routine), I work anytime between 9am(10am on sundays) and 8pm...playing taxi to the children inbetween.
Works well for me and my work/life balance  big_smile

#7 06-08-09 19:49:13

Ttomttom

I used to drop children at one school then drop other child at another before 9 then on to 1st lesson.

Last lesson at 220 pick children up for 330 and 345

home for dinner

out at 6 for 3 lessons except for tues and thurs footy training for child
and fri night cos i need a night off

Sat I never work unless I sneak out on a sat morn for one maybe two lessons unless baby has footy

Sunday I never work because of footy unless it is out of season then I work all day.

Not forgetting thurs was rugby night and sunday was rugby for the boys as well.

There was also boxing for the boys.

I have had a fantastic 7 years, and know of no other job that would have allowed me to do it. I have never missed an assembly, a school trip, meeting, etc.etc. And I have earned a reasonable living.

Board footer