You are not logged in.

#1 03-05-09 17:24:07

dog
Verified Member

The right hand lane

Why is it that so many people think that driving everywhere in the right hand lane will get you to your destination faster? I see this happen so often, and too often I see people trying to turn left from the right hand lane or cutting in front of me just before a junction or a set of lights because they need to go left.

Today it almost tipped me over the edge when some stupid woman in a 4x4 tried to crash in to me at a roundabout attempting to turn left from the right hand lane while I was going straight on in the left hand lane. In the process I discovered that my ABS does actually work quite well and when she stopped about an inch from me and I asked her rather loudly in these exact words "WHAT THE F**K ARE YOU DOING?", she looked at me as if she had done nothing wrong?

I see why so many people have road rage now, I think it's starting to affect me.

03-05-09 17:24:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: The right hand lane

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 03-05-09 19:16:59

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

I'm not sure it is road rage anymore.

More like total anarchy because they know they will rarely get caught or pay any penalty for their actions.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 03-05-09 22:09:23

driver69

More like total anarchy because they know they will rarely get caught or pay any penalty for their actions.

Think you hit the nail on the head.  After a 2 hour lesson tonight some of what happened can can only be described as anarchy, and I`m not talking about my pupil  smile  I never thought I would say this, but there are not enough police on the roads. Local radio on Friday anounced there would be a wide police presence for the bank holidy, checking for speeders, seatbelts etc.  I have came across one check point since then and not much else.

#4 03-05-09 22:16:48

The Saint
Verified Member

Hi Smithwold and Driver67

I agree with your comment about not enough Police visible on the road. They do a fantastic job, but just not enough of them.

My local force is LOSING 48 officers this year! Can you believe it??

Did you think you didn't have to choose it?
That I alone could win or lose it?
In all the places we were hiding love
What was it we were thinking of?

#5 07-05-09 09:00:42

dog
Verified Member

Our police are driving 1.2 litre Corsa's now

so if anyone steals a car with more power than a hair drier they should have no trouble...

#6 07-05-09 09:05:50

KevB
Verified Member
Website

1.2ltr corsa will outperform Starsky's Ford Torino and the Hazzard boy's Dodge Charger.

However, it may struggle against a reconditioned Penny Farthing or Mrs. Wilkins' Zimmer Frame Sport Mk3.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 07-05-09 10:10:26

driver69

1.2ltr corsa will outperform Starsky's Ford Torino and the Hazzard boy's Dodge Charger.

However, it may struggle against a reconditioned Penny Farthing or Mrs. Wilkins' Zimmer Frame Sport Mk3.

That`s funny, you trying for Jeremy Clarksons job  big_smile

#8 03-08-09 14:55:10

Ttomttom

The police prosecute people who have registered their car because it is an easy nick.

A 17 year old is almost guaranteed to be carrying their license and the police only need to ask for it and it will be surrendered at the scene. I would love to know how many legitamate prosecutions against how many prosecutions against teens with a license, insurance, mot etc.

I cannot prove that police use bullyboy tactics against young drivers but I know it goes on to boost their own importance.

At the end of the day it is down to stats. The police work to improve the stats it is a shame they don't work to the benefit of the public.

#9 03-08-09 17:15:20

driverpete
Verified Member

The police prosecute people who have registered their car because it is an easy nick.

A 17 year old is almost guaranteed to be carrying their license and the police only need to ask for it and it will be surrendered at the scene. I would love to know how many legitamate prosecutions against how many prosecutions against teens with a license, insurance, mot etc.

I cannot prove that police use bullyboy tactics against young drivers but I know it goes on to boost their own importance.

At the end of the day it is down to stats. The police work to improve the stats it is a shame they don't work to the benefit of the public.

You're entitled to your opinion of course but I assume you have some hard evidence to back up this  controversial point of view.

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

#10 03-08-09 22:14:42

Ttomttom

You're entitled to your opinion of course but I assume you have some hard evidence to back up this  controversial point of view.

Why would you assume that? I have made it very clear that I would like to know!
assume makes an "ass u me" don't assume anything.

Official police stats say that violent crime is down.
Official A&E stats say that violent assaults are up does this mean that violent assaults are not crime or does it mean that the crime has been categorised as something else.

I am saying that I would like to know how many legitimate prosecutions against how many prosecutions against teens with a license, insurance, mot etc.

5 years ago I could insure a teenager for £400 fully comp and now I can't do it for less than £1500.
The reasons for this are both varied and controversial. I believe a main reason is the fact that they are an easy nick and easily bullied.

#11 03-08-09 22:32:35

evondoll
Verified Member
Website

Or maybe your missing the point that teenagers are in a high risk catagory? No wonder the police stop them.....I'd rather the police stopped them and made them think more about their driving. If it helps just one teen be a more responsible driver then thats a good thing.
And as for insurance, maybe I don't agree that they should have to pay so much to begin with....but again they are such high risk I can see why the insurance companies want to cover their backs.

Evon x

#12 03-08-09 22:41:38

Ttomttom

I could not agree with you more about the police stopping them and checking.

Your other statement "if it helps one teen be more responsible then it's a good thing" is more controversial.

I would like to see the police stopping vehicles for a valid reason, instead of following for 1000s of yards to see if car is legal then stopping.

#13 04-08-09 05:25:57

ExAdiNigel

....5 years ago I could insure a teenager for £400 fully comp and now I can't do it for less than £1500.
The reasons for this are both varied and controversial. I believe a main reason is the fact that they are an easy nick and easily bullied.

Eh?  Are you suggesting that because (you believe) a teenager is an easy nick and easily bullied the insurance companies push up the price of insurance?  Sorry but I see no link between the two.

I would like to see the police stopping vehicles for a valid reason, instead of following for 1000s of yards to see if car is legal then stopping.

:? Isn't it better to follow and check legality before stopping them?  Seems quite rather sensible to me.

You appear to have a real problem with teh Police Ttom.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#14 04-08-09 06:31:10

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

When I was 18-20 I got pulled over 4 times, and in hind sight it was a good thing because it made me be a lot more careful with my driving.

Thankfully doesn't happen any more except for one ridiculous time I got pulled over in my 1st year as an instructor on a lesson, the policeman declared that only 'Rob Cooling' was on the insurance so why was a girl driving? Thought he was having a laugh, tried explaining I was an instructor (badge was in the window) and that they can't list the name of every pupil on the insurance form but he was having none of it. Had to get my insurance form which declares anyone can drive the car. Most policemen seem great to me, he was just a bit of a fruitcake.

Keeping to the topic I also have plenty of experience of being cut up by other cars botching their lane positioning, I've noticed pupils instinctively try to do the same (watching their dads driving?) until I eventually get correct positioning fully drilled in to them.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#15 04-08-09 06:44:54

Ttomttom

I don't have a hidden agenda, but what I am saying is that the teenager now is the same as the teenager 5 years ago.

The police now, are not as forgiving as they were 5 years ago and maybe they do not tolerate anything from a young inexperienced driver. Where as 5 years ago they might of said oi oi that was a bit naughty....... NOW they will go for the jugular because it is easier and it helps quota's.

The insurance companies have responded by raising insurance and pricing them off the road. Teenagers have responded by taking a chance with no insurance, the police have responded by doing more checks on teenagers.

Ever decreasing circles yikes

#16 04-08-09 07:20:22

ExAdiNigel

Until you post some hard facts to back up your assertions, I will treat it as pure conjecture!

Nigel

#17 04-08-09 17:21:55

Ttomttom

Hi Nigel, I would love to know where to find the hard facts. I am sure they would make fascinating reading.

So how have i come to the conclusions I have, bearing in mind that speaking with other instructors and they are drawing similar lines to myself.

I have three teenagers and quite a wide circle of teenage pupils all interwoven, teens being teens and likely to exagerate an event and being pulled over by the police is an event. The same story is coming out time and time again "They told me that they were taking my license because"............ From that one line any number of questions need to be asked.

I understand that there are more illegal motorists being caught, but there are less coppers looking for them. (this is conjecture) The reasons given are that the methods used are far more sophisticated than in days of old.

Fact or Fiction? What constitutes an illegal motorist? What age was the motorist?

Another fascinating fact, more incidents involve the 17 to 24 age group than any other. A simple question relating to this is Who was at fault in the incident?

#18 04-08-09 17:39:21

evondoll
Verified Member
Website

I'm not sure I understand why you think the police are picking on teenagers :0/

On one side you admit that there are 'more incidents involve the 17 to 24 age group' then on the other you say they police shouldn't pick on them. If they are doing nothing wrong and the police stop them, how can they do anything other than have a word with them?

Although to be honest...how many teens are driving round like angels and doing as we taught them? I wish there were more police and they were stopped more often. I wish I didn't read about how many of our youngsters die each week on the roads...I wish someone would make them listen...and if they don't listen to us, then they have the police to listen to!

Evon x

#19 04-08-09 18:23:25

Ttomttom

I don't know what an incident is?
I don't know who manufactured this fact? or how it was manufactured?

In relation to your question, how many are driving around like angels and doing as we taught them. I would like to say "most, a majority of them".

In relation to your other question. I do believe the police do issue a penalty notice for what would have been advice 5 year ago. The police are over zealous in their approach to teens, thus causing (potentially) a much higher incident record.

#20 04-08-09 19:16:06

driverpete
Verified Member

Methinks I smell a troll.

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

#21 04-08-09 19:16:11

ExAdiNigel

Oh these Police must have really upset you at some point.  What with this rant and then stopping to make sarcastic comments when they had stopped someone.

The Police usually have a reason to stop someone.  That reason may involve something small like a brake light out or mabe something more major like stolen vehicle or no insurance.  I would suggest that the more usual response to a blown brake light would be a warning to get it fixed.  Unless, perhaps, the driver starts getting mouthy and then they deserve all they get!

The Police cannot issue a fixed penalty for a non-existent offence.

You may be right Pete!

Nigel

#22 04-08-09 19:49:20

Ttomttom

You are right they have upset me.

A drunk driver, drives at 50 mph in a 30mph limit crashes into another car and kills the driver, driver resuscitated at scene.

While the injured driver is in hospital, the drunk is taken to court where no evidence is offered by the police. The drunk is banned for a year and gets a £80 fine with £40 costs.

Just another stat, if the police prosecute someone they should implement it on every occasion. Instead of picking on easy targets.

I am not a troll but i am very concerned about how stats are constructed. It is these stats that decide how many police are on duty and how they attend incidents.

#23 04-08-09 19:56:37

Ttomttom

Here is a quick one for you that you can check relatively easily, it sort of backs up what i say about the police being selective about incident reports.

A foreign lorry driver has a crash with no one injured the police will not attend.
A british lorry driver has a crash with no one injured the police will investigate the cause.

Now the question is why?

#24 04-08-09 21:15:38

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Doom and gloom, sounds like a case of 'it was better in the olden days'.

I wouldn't knock the police so bad, they're not perfect but we have a police force to be proud of. smile

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#25 05-08-09 05:39:20

ExAdiNigel

Here is a quick one for you that you can check relatively easily, it sort of backs up what i say about the police being selective about incident reports.

A foreign lorry driver has a crash with no one injured the police will not attend.
A british lorry driver has a crash with no one injured the police will investigate the cause.

Now the question is why?

And that is a fact is it?  When I have been involved in an accident and have phoned teh Police, I have been asked 'is anyone injured' but I haven't been asked 'what nationality are the drivers' or 'Are the drivers British'.

I think you need to spend a little more time selecting the facts rather than the bullsh1t.

Nigel

Board footer