You are not logged in.

#1 01-08-09 21:13:31

laurahaynes27

Part 3 Pass!

I’ve never posted on here before but I passed my Part 3 today (1st attempt) and I’ve been reading the write-ups for months and have found them very helpful so thought I’d share mine too.

I got PST1 which I was quite pleased about and the examiner was really lovely.   Phase 1 he needed to learn to drive for his work but was used to getting chauffered around by his wife.  I had to drive 2 minutes to a quiet street during which time I talked to him about steering and general conversation about why he wanted to learn to drive.  Then we parked up and got on with it.   I remembered to make him check before opening the passenger door and getting out, and we had to wait a while at the back of the car for a few cars to pass before I could open the door for him to get in.  Then I went through the cockpit drill, almost forgetting the mirrors at the end but luckily I’d mentioned DSSSM so he was like what’s the ‘M’ for?!  Then he was very interested in the pedals and kept pressing them so had to stop him doing that.   It was only when I got round to trying to explain the clutch that I realised I’d completely forgotten to get my briefing book out so ended up only using it only for explaining the clutch and not for anything else!  Didn’t seem to matter.   

Then he stopped me and it was onto Phase 2 for which he was about to take his test in a couple of weeks, had had a mock test with his instructor who had said they need to look at crossroads but he did not know why.   So I asked him a few questions and we got on the move.  I just pounced on him for everything.   Approaching crossroads on the major road I got him to check his mirrors, ease off the gas and scan right & left before continuing which he said he’d never done.   Then he positioned too far to the right when stopping to emerge so I asked him if he had a reference point for normal right turns.  He said yes so I explained how he should use it and made sure he did next time.  Then at the next crossroads he went too far over the giveway line and had another driver shaking his fist at him which he found amusing.  I asked him if he had a reference point for that and he said no so at the next opportunity I sorted that out.  Then turning right he cut the corner so we stopped & he said but there was no one coming so I pointed out that someone could have come out of a driveway and at the next one we sorted out a reference point for not cutting the corner.  And then going downhill to turn right at a crossroads (major to minor) he changed to 2nd gear way too early and didn’t go on the brake early enough so went way too fast, so we talked about that too.   I also realised at that point that he hadn’t checked his right mirror before signalling so brought him up on that but I was a bit worried that he’d been not checking his mirrors properly all along and I hadn’t picked up on it.   

Other things also happened on the drive which I also brought up.   In a meeting situation a car flashed his lights so talked about the dangers of doing that.   And in another meeting situation he went too fast towards a bend with parked cars both sides so had to brake rather abruptly – when I questioned him about it he said he didn’t see the car until the last second so we discussed how keeping your speed down can help with that.   He also had to go round pedestrians loading a van so they were on the road and when I said “what are you going to do about these pedestrians?” he said hoot his horn (although luckily he didn’t actually do it) so I pulled him over to get him to realise why that might not be such a good idea!

And then it was back to the test centre, it all flew by so quickly!

I got 4 / 5.   I was marked down on Phase 1 because a) when he put his seatbelt on it was very twisted and I reached over to help him untwist it which you mustn’t do as you mustn’t touch them and b) because I’d mentioned the handbrake and gearstick but we hadn’t had time to get round to doing them properly.   He said if I hadn’t mentioned them I wouldn’t have been marked down for that.  Obviously talking about the clutch you have to talk about gears, so I guess you have to make sure you move on to them pretty swiftly because by then you may be running out of time.

I was pleased with my 5 for phase 2, although a bit surprised as I hadn’t really stopped asking him questions the whole way so was a bit worried I hadn’t transferred power enough.  But thinking about it I did identify a fault, remedy it then went onto identifying the next one.  I’m also pleased with my 6 on both phases for Attitude and Approach to Pupil.

So my advice to anyone about to take Part 3 is just go for it, particularly on phase 2 – just be pouncing on them for everything, asking questions at every crossroads or whatever is relevant for that PST and mentioning everything else that happens.   This just goes to prove that you can still pass even with making mistakes.   I’ve been working on my trainee licence for 5 months and have only had the minimum 60 hours in-car training and have also found Blaine’s videos invaluable.

01-08-09 21:13:31

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 3 Pass!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 01-08-09 21:29:32

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Very Well done  big_smile

Great write up...enjoy your moment and all the best for your future!

#3 02-08-09 07:22:36

ceecee
Verified Member

Congratulations

Good luck with your new career

ADI Part 1 passed: 28/03/2008
ADI Part 2 passed: 03/07/2008
ADI Part 3 failed: 28/07/2009
ADI Part 3 failed: 30/09/2009
ADI Part 3 passed:07/10/2009

#4 02-08-09 12:06:07

skoolbus
Verified Member
Website

Well done Laura thanks for the write up..

#5 02-08-09 18:44:42

taffyduck
Verified Member

well done laura great write up

#6 02-08-09 19:13:20

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Excellent result, good luck with your new career.  smile

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

#7 02-08-09 20:33:39

jay666
Website

Well done!! Good luck with your new life as a driving instructor! smile

#8 03-08-09 18:04:09

TDW

Congrats, good write up.

Things fall to pieces so that other things can fall into place.

#9 08-08-09 08:31:49

db1
Verified Member

Well Done, nice write up.

Part one passed 1st Time 06/04/2009 98/68
Part two passed 1st time 23/06/2009 2df
part three           waiting

I.A.M assessor, R.O.S.P.A Gold

#10 09-08-09 17:02:55

julieb

Very very well done, thanks for write up!!!

Board footer