You are not logged in.

#1 28-07-09 22:12:01

hayjay

Full Licence Holder vs Trained

Hey guys......

just thought i would throw this out there and see what comes back. I have a test booked at the beginning of sept and it is 1st attempt. I want to go in with guns blazing!! Both myself and my trainer agree that i have no specific weak areas to speak of, however whenever we go through the FLH option, i just can't seem to get my head into that mentality.......I know what i am meant to be doing and how i am meant to be approaching the driver but something in my head is still getting confused. (confused yet?) Here is what i know.....attitude towards the driver has got to be very much a friendly approach and whenever a fault is played it is to be rectified as much as possible through discussion. The discussion needs to be treated in such a way where you are not being condescending or treating them like a pupil. Phrases such as "how will this benefit you if?" "What are the benefits of?" What would happen?" so in theory you are meant to make them work to see how the particular faults that are being played will have an effect on other road users. in short making them work to come to their own conclusion thus making them understand better.

I know this is a bit long winded but if i can show that i am on the right track and to see if anyone has had FLH in the test to see what their experiences of it are.

Ta Ta for now

hayjay

28-07-09 22:12:01

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Full Licence Holder vs Trained

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 29-07-09 19:43:04

Mars
Verified Member
Website

Hi hayjay,  I get my PDIs to treat Full licence holders much the same as 'pupils'.  You are looking for a similar standard of driving.  What you said about making them work to realise why they should change their driving would apply equally to a test standard pupil - Why did they make the mistake - Why should they change - Offer Remedy !

I agree that one should be a bit more tactful as they have been driving for a while, try things like - Have you had problems in the past doing what you just did, have you had an accident or perhaps a near miss or a horn or two blown at you ? 

Perhaps a remedy such as, ' OK, lets try 2 hands on the wheel as much as possible, it doesnt take much effort and when you get used to it again I am sure you will feel more in control.  AND if something drastic does happen you may be very glad that you have started doing it again ! '

I hope this helps - I think basically they shouldnt be getting away with anything any more than a fully trained pupil would.

#3 29-07-09 21:49:13

hayjay

thanks mars......

these are the sorts of things my trainer is saying to me, so it is trying to get them logged into my head. AND engaging my mouth to say what i am thinking!!!! In theory i know it, but in practice i get a bit tongue tied! Maybe i could practice on my wife? then again maybe not as the divorce courts might be in use!!!

#4 31-07-09 15:31:45

jterrier

Hi

on my part 3, i had reverse park in phase 2. The examiner was playing a  trained guy who had done everything but failed his test on just that manouevre, saying in the word pic that he just got flustered. About a week before that I had also done a mock pt3 featuring the same PSt but this time the examiner was a 40yr old guy who just needed practise, i.e. FLH.

in both cases i got picked up on the same things; I didnt need to do any brief, I needed to be flexible (for example, in my real test, the examiner crossed his hands a lot, which i should have just let pass and his observations before moving off were in a funny order, which again i was told i should have just let pass); the main thing with it was just to let them get on with it and just pick up the important stuff; and refer it back to things they have done before. Its true, its very much about how you address them given their level of experience at that point.

dont know if this helps. Bear in mind that the examiners are all different and some of it is down to how they see you on the day.

#5 31-07-09 20:08:30

Mars
Verified Member
Website

Hi, just a thought jterrier, but you shouldnt be worrying too much about crossing hands anyway, as long as the 'pupil' has control of the car - the official DSA line with an experienced driver is to not worry about steering as long as the car goes where it is intended for it to.

As for 'observations in a funny order' - were they effective with the blind spot the last thing to be checked before moving ? if so no problem.

Board footer