You are not logged in.

#1 10-06-08 18:13:00

zander
Verified Member
Website

" The New Practical Driving Test"

Hi all, not been here for ages. What does everyone think of the changes to the Practial Test?
I myself think it is a good idea if it does indeed improve rider safety, but what will all the other road users think of it. Think of the areas where the MPTC are placed and how congested the roads will be around them.....me thinks rider safety might be a tad compromised. How far is your new MPTC from you and what does everyone else think of the extra time spent on getting there and the extra cost. Sadly my local Test Centre is closing down and my pupils will have to travel at least 10 miles to take their test.....but on the up-side I have managed to aquire an area of land for them to practice the "New Test" on so that they are better prepared when they turn up for their Practical Test. Could get it up and running for the start off testing, but it will be ready for the start of the biking season next year, all going well with the contractors. I am doing my best to accomodate the students who are taking the test before my training area is completed and keeping my fingers,toes and anything else I can cross, that they are confident enough to complete the high speed nd swerve n avoidance without having enough practice at the higher speed.

Good luck to all who are taking the Practical Test....both the Old Test and the NEW

10-06-08 18:13:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: " The New Practical Driving Test"

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 11-06-08 06:32:46

Pilgrim
Verified Member
Website

Hi

When the motorcycle Test changes the new students are going to have to travel South of me 35 miles to Peterborough or 37 miles North to Lincoln.

Now I wonder if there might be some riders that are going to risk NOT taking this test because of the expense & time needed to take the test.

Tony

Offering You the Freedom of Drivng in Boston
www.bostondrivingschool.co.uk
www.12drive.co.uk

#3 14-06-08 19:55:35

ADI349
Verified Member

We are 'Lucky'  :rolleyes:some would say we have a new test centre.  However people are going th ehave to travel up to 50 miles to get to ours as the ones in their areas have not been completed, in one case they haven't even got the land.  So a lot of our tests are going to be taken by people coming into the area, mine you we may get extra work from it neutral

If you only do what you've always done, you will only achieve what you've always achieved

#4 15-06-08 17:02:22

zander
Verified Member
Website

Thats why I decided to try and get some land big enough to do the training on, might not be ready till next biking season, but as some of the areas I cover are very rural and most of my time is taken up training 16/17 year olds still at school, then the older ones who are at college. Some come to my training school after warnings from the community police, who we have good links with.They are told to at least get the CBT, the police then inform me that they have had words and so 'n' so will be turning up on such a date if thats ok with me. Rather they do that than either get maybe a crim. record or even worse wipe themself out on a bad bend or in traffic.

Has anyone 'googled' motorcycle fatalities in the EU. Makes grim reading when you look at the stats, when its the EU who started this. Thinking if we have to fall in line with the EU on rider safety, they better pull their socks way up. The UK rates not too badly coming in 5th.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 15-06-08 18:12:14

kjs
Verified Member
Website

Thinking if we have to fall in line with the EU on rider safety, they better pull their socks way up. The UK rates not too badly coming in 5th.

We have a long hard struggle to get DOWN to the standard of driving / riding on the continent. I think that the EU need to look to other european contries and the standard of driving there before they come knocking on our door to tells us our standard isn't good enough.

kjs

#6 29-07-09 17:54:48

barrykenward
Verified Member

Hi folks,

One of the big issues about KSI's here in the UK is that we are currently 3rd in the EU for deaths per 100,000 inhabitants. For just about every other area of injury/crash/incident we are mid range of the 27 EU nations providing data (around 11 - 13th) (European Road Safety Charter Data produced January 2009).

Sadly, Born again Bikers (Babies) seem for form a large part of those killed - let alone seriously injured.

When you consider the number of MPTC's (between 60 - 65 when all are completed) and the lack of available practice space (noting Zander's gallant effort to provide some), there are some areas (Isle of Wight in my area is a classic) who have nothing and have to come to the mainland with no practice and 'give it a shot' which to me is just crazy!

Zander spoke about what they do in the EU - he(?) says it makes grim reading. The truth of the matter is that many of the major players in the EU (France, Germany, Italy, Spain and a couple of others) actually do LESS than we do here, (not only for the bike test but car test also) yet we are told that this is an EU directive. Peter Mandleson failed to negotiate an exemption when this all came up a number of years ago. Europe shouts and little mandarins in Whitehall with their clipboards tick boxes to ensure the UK complies.

IMHO it is a FARCE!!  Better Education/training - YES - every time. Level Playing Field would be even better at this moment in time though!

As for the issue about how far to travel for tests - well a big subject which others have done some sums on and the "distances per population" for the majority is too great, given that DSA set their own parameters - which suited a business plan to reduce costs is reasonable for them - for those taking tests however - it might encourage some not to bother putting more stress on other systems elsewhere, i.e. NHS.

Regards,

Board footer