You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 28-05-09 14:27:12

SnaxMuppet

Part 3 Training - Intensive Course

This will surprise many of you I am sure, and I know that this will not sit confortably with some of you too...

Given how my training went for part 2 I have decided that I would prefer to do all of my part 3 training all at once! I fully realise the implications of this decision and I have thoroughly investigated the benefits and disadvantages of doing an intensive course rather than spreading it over a number of weeks/months and I find that for me, in my personal circumstances right now, that the intensive course is my preferred option.

This is a complete surprise to me really. Prior to starting my training I was dead against any form of intensive course for part 3 and I have probably argued against it on various threads on various forums, particularly with reference to TIC and the way they do their courses. But, I take great pride in the fact that I may be many things but being rigid and fixed in my approach is not one of them. I have learned from my part 2 training and I find that I work better with a highly focused and concentrated effort. The good thing is that with LDC I have the choice! With TIC you don't.

Clearly there are huge potential disavantages to this approach but likewise, with the right preparation and attitude there are huge advantages too. Like most things, the key will be proper preparation. I have 4 weeks now full time study to prepare all my briefings and lesson plans. That should be easily possible. I have been told I will have the full support of the LDC training department if I need help so I am not concerned by that.

One of the potential disadvantages is that I will have to do the training at the LDC Training Centre in Pontefract. So that is 7 nights away from home. However, as with most of things there is a plus side to that as my training will be carried out by Pat Firth, the Head Instructor at LDC.

So, my Part 3 in-car training will be 29/6 to 3/7 with my part 3 test on 23/7. I will be going through the LDC Part 3 Training Manual preparing my briefings prior to the training week. Yes, it will be hard work but I am expecting the intensity of study over the next few weeks will allow me to gain the benefits of the concentrated training course.

Unconventional yes, I accept that... and yes, it isn't the approach I would expect many to either want nor benefit from... but for me I believe this is the way to go and as I fully intend to pass part 3 on my first attempt I wouldn't do it in this way this if I didn't think it would work for me!

If you want to see more about how I am getting on then don't forget to look at my blog at http://ldcdrivertraining.blogspot.com/

28-05-09 14:27:12

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 3 Training - Intensive Course

#2 28-05-09 14:50:05

oldcodger
Verified Member

Absolutely no reason why this should be a problem. The part 3 is down to one thing, YOU. You don't need any training at all officially, but most people will benefit from training and I personally think an intensive session is far more beneficial that most will say.

I personally know of an ADI who took all 3 parts in 12 weeks, passing each part first time. The only reaosn it took so long is because they couldn't get a part 2 or part 3 test date earlier! That was someone with no previous experience of instruction whatsoever.

Good luck.

#3 28-05-09 21:12:34

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

SnaxMuppet, with your drive and determination I am sure it will work for you as we know you are going to put in the work for it.

I will be interested in how you get on as I am doing the opposite (due to work commitments) and just doing 2 hrs for my part 3 every Saturday so I won't be ready to take my test until at least October I am guessing?

Cheers

Jlo31

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

#4 28-05-09 21:28:16

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

I failed my first two attempts at part three. I was doing a full time job simultaneously.

Due to a breakdown in the working relationship between myself & my manager. I left voluntarily this gave me time to swat for my third & final attempt. I spent two months in which my savings dwindled & my partner supported me.

Anyway i passed 5/4, had i tried to combine work & training I think I would have failed. Would I have 'gone round again' probably not.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#5 28-05-09 21:34:42

evanadi

#6 29-05-09 13:06:48

findogask

well,done in "getting stuck in" I am just about to sign up with LDC, thanks in many ways to your own blog, agree with many that this is a difficult proffession to go into while having the commitment of a full time job. my personel circumstances mean that I can now do a part time job and hopefully like yourself devote as much time as possible to "re learning" how to drive properly.
will stay tuned to your blog, although have no doubt you will do it . out of interest , just in case I follow your example, is it costing you any more apart from 7 night away from home obviously ???

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 29-05-09 19:58:40

evanadi

Pat Firth is doing me

Sounds painful, make sure you take a condom Snax neutral big_smile

#8 25-07-09 14:41:44

Trumper
Verified Member

I see that SnaxMuppet is giving up on being an instructor. Nice profit for LDC!! Should have gone pay as you go.  I see why the DSA figures of only 1-10 making the grade makes sense now. Thought he had a good chance.

O.R.D.I.T. Dip D.I
Fleet reg
A.D.I  Car manual
Cardington A , D.I.A Special test, R.O.S.P.A , I.A.M

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 25-07-09 14:54:56

DampDog
Verified Member

I see that SnaxMuppet is giving up on being an instructor.

What makes you say that?

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#10 26-07-09 23:22:25

Doc
Verified Member
Website

I see that SnaxMuppet is giving up on being an instructor. Nice profit for LDC!! Should have gone pay as you go.  I see why the DSA figures of only 1-10 making the grade makes sense now. Thought he had a good chance.

What profit? Snax was undertaking his part 3 training in one week and his trainer had to have a clear week in her diary to fulfill his request. Is she not entitled to be paid? Snax has accepted his situation without prejudice and even in his resignation highly recommends LDC as training providers. Please don't use Snax's situation as an advert for pay as you go, i'm positive he does not share your view.

#11 27-07-09 12:49:58

jay666
Website

I agree as i too thought he had a good chance of going all the way. His decision has shocked me a little and dont really understand why hes throwing in the towel saying that he wont enjoy the job when he has not even started the job. I too started my training 2 weeks ago and found the first 2 days very hard indeed but after that it started coming together and really started to enjoy it and feel very confident about going all the way. I am learning with TIC and did my 40 hours in 6 days. It is very intense but at the end of the 6 days i felt 1 million times more capable of doing the job.

Just my views.

#12 27-07-09 14:22:56

findogask

I agree with Jay 666, I have just started the long road, and Snax, was key to me "taking the plunge" as it were. Think he would have been very good as an instructor, and have reccommended his blog to a friend who was also thinking of a career change. No job or career is perfect and I think learning something new is particularly difficult , lets face it we CAN all drive, but can we teach???

I presume its not too late for Snaxmuppet to perhaps change his mind, we all have bad days...

findogask

Board footer