You are not logged in.

#1 24-06-09 14:00:03

mon
Verified Member
Website

auto

Hi everyone,
Just a quick question,I had my cousin out today driving around,I am using her as phase 2 practice.The thing is she owns an automatic and as we came to junctions she asked me, Well do you think I should leave the selector in D or put it in N . while I am waiting for a safe gap to emerge,I am ashamed to say I couldn't give her a complete answer as i think it should be left in D with Handbrake applied when stop becomes a wait.
But then started doubting myself,she has started with an Instructor who uses an auto car for her lessons,I am afraid of giving conflicting info.
I did notice car rolled back slightly on one gentle slope and pointed out to her had car been in D that would not have happened,your thoughts and advice would be appreciated folks.

From Striving to Driving.....Lurgan Co.Armagh

24-06-09 14:00:03

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: auto

#2 09-07-09 10:44:22

bezzaboy1978
Verified Member

Hi Mon,
            In my opinion (for what its worth) is that N on an automatic is the equivalent to neutral on a manual? So it would depend on the situation, would you let your pupil sit in neutral awaiting to emerge? Surely a pupil should be in first gear with the vehicle prepared to move when safe and clear i.e at biting point with the handbrake on, so my answer is an automatic should be in D ready to go when the opportunity arises, especially if on a hill. If you can see you may be there for a while, i.e a traffic jam etc, then I would suggest N as I would suggest neutral in a manual vehicle.

#3 09-07-09 11:00:14

bezzaboy1978
Verified Member

Just thought I'd mention, some automatics have P instead of N. Sorry, not teaching granny to suck eggs and all that!!  wink

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 22-07-09 10:22:36

VandADI
Administrator

Just thought I'd mention, some automatics have P instead of N. Sorry, not teaching granny to suck eggs and all that!!  wink

I didn't know that, as I thought all autos had park and neutral as autos will not start unless in neutral position?  Which automatics don't have a "Neutral" and how do you start them if there is no neutral?

#5 22-07-09 11:36:09

venesh

old mercs start in p

#6 22-07-09 11:57:12

kjs
Verified Member
Website

My 206 will only start in P or N. When waiting to emerge, I tell my pupils to leave it in drive, foot on brake or handbrake on when waiting any length of time.

kevin

#7 08-09-09 19:38:25

ChelmsfordADI
Verified Member

Autos will only start in N or P and should be started with the footbrake applied (according to my car manual anyway). Used to tell pupils to leave the car in D when waiting to emerge at junctions but to possibly using N if waiting a long time at lights.

Would never suggest using P when on the road because the selector has to go through reverse to get there so it's too easy to miss drive on the way back.

Most autos will go between N and D without the button or footbrake applied but will to go in to P. On my car the ignition key won't come out the ignition switch unless the gear selector is in P.

Oh and you've also got the held gears and overdrive  big_smile

Carl

Driving Instructor currently working in IT Business Support
BUT looking to return to instructing over the next few months big_smile

DSA Approved Driving Instructor since 1998
RoSPA Gold Advanced Driver

#8 09-09-09 19:55:10

mon
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for info Carl....