You are not logged in.

#1 09-06-09 09:00:56

will66

Part 3, knowledge all there, practical not.

Hi all,

I'm well into my part 3 training, had over 40 hours payg. My trainer says my knowledge of the subjects is excellent, good personal skills and very good at adapting to the role play.
But, my actual performance when giving lesson is below the standard required.
So, it's all there in my mind but below standard when I try to put it into action. (marks 2 to 3)
Has anyone else experienced this frustrating period when they were training. So frustrating as I sort of have a barrier in front of me that I haven't yet got over. I keep the training going, keep studying.
Any tips? Advice? Assurance? Thanks, Will.

09-06-09 09:00:56

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 3, knowledge all there, practical not.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 09-06-09 09:14:47

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

I understand completly. Thats why I took 5 attempts at part 3.  Have you actually been unsuccessful at a part 3 attempt or are you still at the stage of running "mock" tests with your trainer. 

I was close to the mark having 4/3 3/4 3/5 and 4/3 on my first 4 attempts. Finally passing with a 5/5.

My problem was I had been told from the commencement of my training that part 3 was the "dreaded, hardest of the 3 parts, with a low pass rate" where in fact the opposite is true.  Being told this lowered my expectation of my own ability to pass, and the enivitable happened 4 times.

I had to be convinced that the hardest part is everyday teaching, and that if I could teach successfully and get pupils through their driving test, then part 3 should not be a problem.

It was John Farlam from smartdriving.co.uk who gave me the skils I needed to just be natural and in fact made part 3 very easy.
John runs a 3 day "Part 3 rescue" course for people like ourselves, just cant quite hit the mark needed.  I cant recommend it enough, and I know a lot of other people on this forum will agree with me here. 

Wish you all the best.
Jonny

#3 19-07-09 19:14:22

sabz

Hi, i'v just started my Part 3 training, its all very hard it seems....to much information to put into practice.....don't know if i'm able to use the correct phraseology's....really want to do this but im finding this part really hard!! Did anyone feel the same...or is it just me over analysing?

sabz

#4 19-07-09 20:51:23

mon
Verified Member
Website

Totally know where your coming from sabz and will66,I have 50 ish hours covered and though I consider myself bright when it comes to engaging the mouth there is some sort of break in the link to my brain.
There is good days and there are bad,but I will never give up the stuggle because I want to pass so much and also my kids are watching me to make sure I'm not a quitter,so keep banging those heads of the brick wall,it will fall soon,and take johnnyg story on board,true grit got him through and it will you.
Mon

From Striving to Driving.....Lurgan Co.Armagh

#5 25-07-09 21:24:01

Mars
Verified Member
Website

Hi - I think the problems you have are fairly common.  In my opinion there is no 'phraseology' which must be used - be natural, just get the message across, dont learn scripts (other than moving off and stopping sequences and other sequencies such as MSM, MSPSL) but these are not scripts.  Remember to drive the Pupil NOT the car.  If you have a sound knowledge of the Highway Code and Driving Essential Skills and put the information across in an easy friendly but firm way you will be fine.

You are welcome to ring or email me or msg if you want want a bit more specific advice.

#6 26-07-09 18:59:03

scannermanh
Verified Member

As you drive yourself, use commentry driving, but remember to tell yourself what you are going to do rather than what you are actually doing, therefore your commentry will be ahead of your actions.
This will be like the "Talk Through" and get you used to talking as you think about what you require your pupil to do. Once this has become easier change to asking yourself Questions, again ahead
of the situations-Q&A. Use a voice recorder, go over your sessions and pick up any wrong phrases
used to point out where to change.
This practice will only cost you your time and petrol and can also be done whilst normal driving.
At first its difficult to actually talk at all especially in front a trainer for fear of doing it wrong and making an arse of yourself, but any experienced trainer has probably seen it all and, as he probably knows the state of the industry, probably will already think your an arse( not really, my little joke).

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

Board footer