You are not logged in.

#1 16-07-09 19:36:31

oakeydokey

Part 3 Fail and Pass Write up

Hi all,
    I've used this forum for quite a while but never got round to registering and writing up my test results - Partly because I was too embarrassed when I failed the first time (  you'll see why in the write up! )  Rest assured I can still remember nearly every detail of my 1st test - even though it was last January!  I thought it was time I gave something back because I've found the write up's really useful!  So here follows a write up of both my 1st attempt fail and 2nd attempt pass!  Its also probably the longest write up ever because I always wanted more detail when I read previous posts!  So if you're still awake at the end, I hope you got some use out of it!

1st attempt - 9th Jan 2009

I got there nice and early and spent 45 mins going over and over my briefs - to be honest I didn't think I was ready but I was here now so I just went for it!
The examiner was the one who took me for my part 2 and he was sound, so I was feeling ok straight away. I noticed as I signed the declaration that I'd got PST 3 which I was pleased about because I thought I was ok on my manoeuvres!
    He introduces himself and gives the word picture etc. I do a recap and objective and say we're going to drive to an area where it is suitable to do the turn in the road and off we go!  Straight away his clutch is coming up too fast emerging at junctions - a clue as to what is going to happen on the manoeuvre!  We arrive at the location and I give a brief which I was pleased with and then onto the manoeuvre -  Straight away he was going too fast so I stopped him and said we're going to fast ( but I didn't tell him it was because he was bringing his clutch up too far - Duh! )  Eventually I realised I hadn't given him a remedy and told him to not bring his clutch up as far at which point the speed was under control!  He also steered slowly instead of briskly which I again told him why it was important to steer fast ( as I had done on my brief. )
    I stopped him about a metre from the kerb to find him a reference point so he knows when to briskly steer in the other direction which worked well, and then stopped him before we overhung the kerb and found him another reference point, which again worked well. 
    Handbrake on, 360 degree look and I tell him we're going to be steering briskly to the left when we start going backwards and I can tell he doesn't know which way to steer - when I tell him, he starts to dry steer which I stopped straight away including why you shouldn't and then related the way you turn the wheel to which direction you want the back of the car to go, which sorted it.   
    I gave him a reference point to steer the other way going backwards but then we touched the kerb which I identified but I never gave him a remedy - ie a reference point in the drivers side back window - I think nerves were getting the better of me by now!  The forward part went fine and we pulled up, had a quick discussion on the why's of his faults and then had another go.  I prompted him on his previous faults but only found out later that I totally missed him not looking backwards on the first attempt - But I spotted it on the second go so just got marked down for it.  Before we even went backwards though a !!!!!!!! great truck parked up behind us and obliterated my view of whether anything was coming or not!  I asked if he could see if it was clear and he said he could so I allowed him to go  ( I think with a learner, I would have been more cautious with their judgement but with him being an examiner and with time running short I allowed him to continue - He never mentioned it in my debrief so I must have done the right thing! )  Before I knew it, it was the end of phase 1 and had time for a quick summary and lead on before going onto phase 2.
    His name was now different  ( can't remember what - It was in January! ) and we were doing left / right turns - Word picture was coming up to test but his instructor said he had weakness' etc.  So, intro, title, some recap questions and an objective and we were on the move. Approaching turns he was only checking the centre mirror which I corrected.  Then apparently at several times throughout the phase I missed him signalling - I have no recollection of missing it - I think in my head I was going mirror , signal etc but then not making sure he did it!  I'm going bright red now just thinking about it! Haha!  His position was wrong on approach which I spotted and gave him a reference point for, his speed was ok throughout and his looking was ok as well - or so I thought.  It turns out that virtually throughout the whole phase he had been coasting ( which I blame my otherwise brilliant trainer for because he'd NEVER put it in during my lesson's - so I assumed it was a fault the examiner rarely put in and I wasn't watching for it )  Going bright red again! He also corner cut and I stopped him at a quiet junction and gave him a point of turn reference point.  Also in the debrief he said there was a pedestrian at one junction who had stepped into the road and stepped off again as we did not give way which again I had no recollection of seeing!  Going beetroot now!  I swear to this day he made that bit up because surely I wouldn't of missed that! Haha! A quick summary on the way back and the test was over.
    Embarrasingly I thought I'd failed on the turn in the road with the truck and touching the kerb etc but I got a 4 for that - He said he'd seen a lot worse - ( !!!!!!!! hell, I thought! ) and a 3 on junctions - because I'd eventually spotted and corrected the signalling I may have squeezed through but with not spotting coasting at all, I got a big fat "unsatisfactory" on my marking sheet - and quite right too!  I was disappointed but not surprised as like I said before - I didn't feel ready at all,  but was only missing coasting off passing which was reassuring.

Then started 5 more months of weekly 2 hour lessons, and it felt like I was going backwards!  At the end of nearly every lesson I came out of it thinking " God I did a lot wrong in that lesson! "  I was really struggling and thought there's just no way I'm going to be able to do this!  I think I was finding the role play really hard - knowing that my trainer was probably a better driver than me, I just couldn't get it into my head consistantly to treat him as a learner so he was approaching hazards and I'd just clam up - sounds stupid I know but its hard to describe!  Anyway, by June I was running out of money so I just thought "Stuff it, I'm not improving so I'll have a couple of goes and see how I go."
    One thing I'm glad I did was to not tell any family or friends that I'd put in for it - It was an 8 week waiting list but I kept quiet throughout - Less pressure!

2nd attempt - July 6th, 2009

On the day of my test, I went in with probably the most defeatist attitude ever, but by this point I was so fed up of stressing about it I didn't have any nerves at all! 
    The examiner came out and as I was signing the declaration I never even thought to take a peek at what PST I'd got!  I walked him to my car and he said I was to teach him crossings and signals including the hand signals.  ( Not one of my favourite PST's but oh well! )
    So again: Intro , Title, recap and objective and off we go. Into the first junction he was braking before signalling - ie his routine was wrong so I pulled him up and discussed it and he agreed if the signal was on first then people would be expecting us to brake after, not just suddenly braking without signalling.  Off we went and he signalled passing a parked car which was just before a junction, so again I pulled him up and we talked about why it was misleading and what other part of our routine could we use as a signal instead - ie early road positioning.  I gained his agreement and we were off again.  We came across a few crossings so I talked him through the routine on approach / how to identify what type and where to wait if necessary etc because we never actually had a situation where anything was happening at a crossing!  Then came the part where I thought I'd failed.  We came up to a traffic light controlled crossroads, at which we were turning right.  The lights were on red and were the 3rd car in line.  There was a building on our right which obscured what was round the corner of the crossroads.  Our light went to green and concentrating on something else ( although I don't know what! ) I never noticed brake lights on the cars in front.  It turns out there was another set of lights just round the corner ( obscured by the building ) which had changed to red so by the time we stopped we were blocking the second crossing ( immediately after we had turned right ).  He said " I'm not supposed to be here am I? "  To which I replied "No we're not so we'll look out for this next time! "  By now I thought it was over but just carried on anyway - any remaining nerves has gone now because I was convinced I'd failed! 
    He next asked me to pull him up to discuss arm signals.  Again with my trainer we'd only ever gone over this in the briefing so I was a bit surprised when he said he wanted to do them on the move!  Making sure it was quiet, I talked him through them, making a particular point about the karate chop hand position for turning and parallel to the floor for slowing down explaining why.  He said " Can I have a go then? " So he asked me to take the next left and I talked him through but he put his hand parallel to the floor which I spotted and corrected straight away and then pulled him up to discuss why it was confusing the way he did it.  ( Just in case there is anyone as daft as me it's because from the front or rear you cannot tell whether the arm is going up and down or anti colockwise, so the palm position gives a definite difference - I only noticed this when I was reading the Highway code a couple of months or so ago!  Whoops! Still I know now! )  That was pretty much it for phase 1 so I gave a summary and lead on, then we had a quick break and onto phase 2.

Then came something else I wasn't expecting.  The word picture said that he was coming up to test and had done all the manoeuvres exept this one.  So basically I was going to have to do a phase 1 again - Like my trainer said, it sort of defeats the purpose of phase 2 really doesn't it but I didn't think of that at the time!  Anyway, all the faults were the same as my previous manoeuvre test - because there is only so many things that can go wrong, ie dry steer, too fast, not looking backwards etc.  The one thing it took my second go to spot was he selected 4th instead of reverse so we stalled but like I say, I realised straight away what he'd done and corrected it.  We were holding up a bus at one point but I told myself to not rush and I kept calm - Like my brother said afterwards, " Buses don't care if they hold you up " so I didn't care about holding this one up! 
    We got 2 reverse parks done and he said he'd got to get back to work, so on the way back I remembered that the test STILL ISN'T OVER so I just q+a'd hazards and did some anticipation work till we got back!
    Then came the dreaded ten minute wait with me in a bad mood because I thought I'd failed, so imagine my surprise when he got in and said " I'm pleased to tell you you've reached the required standard with a grade 5 crossings and signals and grade 6 for the reverse park! "  I felt the weight literally lift off my shoulders and just sat there in disbelief!  I asked about the traffic light incident and he said that I should've seen the brake lights and not let him go over the white line but he just marked me down for it.  He said he couldn't fault me on the reverse park - anything he tried to put in I stopped before he even had chance to do it apparently! 
    He then gave me an application for a pink licence which confused me before he realised his mistake and apologised and I said he could do whatever he wanted to me ( within reason! ) Haha!

I started training in January 2008.  I passed the theory 1st time, practical 2nd time and of course the part 3 second time.  To anyone who has not lapsed into a coma and has got this far and is doubting themselves, I say If I can do it, so can you! BELIEVE ME!  I've read previous posts of people that have passed and they said you can do it etc and I thought yeah yeah it's alright for you etc!  I can tell you, I'm probably one of the least confident people in the world when it comes to tests and I think it all came down to nerves - Go into it with the attitude that you're fed up of stressing about it and your nerves will mostly disappear which is half the battle in my book.  And I tell you one thing - when you've struggled for so long and you finally pass, I'm sure it's all the more sweeter than passing 1st time!  ( If more expensive! )  Thanks for reading this and good luck to anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation!  YOU CAN DO IT!

16-07-09 19:36:31

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 3 Fail and Pass Write up

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 16-07-09 20:01:59

john55
Verified Member

Then started 5 more months of weekly 2 hour lessons, and it felt like I was going backwards!  At the end of nearly every lesson I came out of it thinking " God I did a lot wrong in that lesson! "  I was really struggling and thought there's just no way I'm going to be able to do this!  I think I was finding the role play really hard - knowing that my trainer was probably a better driver than me, I just couldn't get it into my head consistantly to treat him as a learner so he was approaching hazards and I'd just clam up - sounds stupid I know but its hard to describe!

the above quote is how i feel as well at the moment. glad to know the feeling passes eventually.

congratulatons Oakeydokey on your pass and for the marathon write-up's.  big_smile well done

If you can't do it safely don't do it at all

#3 16-07-09 22:17:08

jay666
Website

Great write up! That is going to help alot!! Congratulations on passing.

#4 17-07-09 07:21:28

VandADI
Administrator

Hi and welcome oakey,  smile
Thank you for a very detailed write up, I am sure this will be of great value to others and also congratulations on passing part 3, let us know how you get on.

#5 17-07-09 14:40:57

colin

Fantastic write up.  Youve really cheered me up.  I failed part 3 in May and I don't know how my 1st instructor ever had the nerve to say I was test ready.  I have learnt from my new instructor so much more and I'm beginning to realise a lot of the requirements for both phases.  Sometimes I feel that my 1st instructor didn't care if I passed or faiiled, more money in the  bank for him when I failed.

#6 18-07-09 23:21:31

oakeydokey

Hi all,
Thanks for the congrats!  Glad to hear it helped someone!

#7 19-07-09 15:17:57

mani
Verified Member

CONGRATULATIONS oakeydokey, what a great great write up, and a great confidence booster, thank you, really enjoyed reading your write up, it is really helpful.
All the best ADI.
Mani

#8 20-07-09 08:45:11

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Well done, and Congratulations. I failed my 1st attempt 2 weeks ago, and have my next booked for September(earliest available) I so cant wait to pass.

Wish you all the best as an ADI.  big_smile big_smile

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

Board footer