You are not logged in.

#1 18-04-04 20:30:06

rothrich

Manual or automatic?

Hi guys,
I have finally decided to take the plunge at 27 and start driving lessons. To say I am nervous would be a HUGE understatement  -- this has been hanging over me for years, but I keep finding ways to put it off. Anyways, I feel ready now, and I want to get it my best shot. My question is, would anyone recommned learning to drive in an automatic rather than a manual? Personally, I would feel better in an automatic, but long term, am I likely to regret it? What are the pros/cons? My brother and his wife can only drive in automatics, and they seem ok, but I am open to suggestions.
big_smile

18-04-04 20:30:06

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Manual or automatic?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 18-04-04 20:55:23

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi rothrich,

Well done for finally taking the plunge - but 27 isn't really that old!

Driving can be pretty scary until you actually start and realise that slowly but surely, week by week your driving and your confidence will improve no end.

Your instructor should make you feel comfortable and safe. Our insurance premiums tend to be pretty low as Instructors know how to look after their pupils.

As for which type of car Manual or Auto why not try the manual 1st and see how you progress. It may take a while before you can make that decision but you won't lose much financially as driving a manual car will give you road experience and a good instructor will be doing a lot of stuff that's not to do with gears.

It does give you more flexibility and choice, but either way can work.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

#3 18-04-04 21:06:59

Folk

Hi Rothrich,

Glad you've decided to learn to drive - I'm sure you won't regret it.  Your age is nothing - I'm in my 40's and am only just learning!

You will find this Forum very friendly and helpful as there are a lot of people on here with advice and sound knowledge.  Feel free to ask anything at all - we're all here to listen and help where we can.

Happy driving!

Folk  smile

#4 19-04-04 09:34:13

Liesa

Hi  rothrich

Welcome to the site!

You say you've been putting off learning for years?

Maybe you weren't ready before?

There's nothing worse, than trying to learn something, if your heart isn't really in it!

I remember when I was 16, mum insisted that I apply for my provisional a.s.a.p. I sent off for it and it came into force on my 17th birthday, driving lessons followed very shortly, but I wasn't ready and I absolutely hated the lessons.

8 months and 2 tests later I gave up, my confidence had been completely destroyed. It took me a lot of courage, conviction and loads of support from my husband to take the plunge again.

I finally passed my test at the age of 22!

As my signiture says "anythings possible if you put your mind to it!"

If you really want to learn to drive you'll do it, as others have said above give the manual a try 1st!

And more importantly learn at your own pace, not the pace that friends and relative say you should! ( if you know what I mean? )  wink

#5 19-04-04 15:11:19

Midge
Website

I agree with the others up to a point, try the manual gearbox first, but if its too much try an automatic, don't give up, half a loaf is better than no bread at all.
I have had two pupils learn in my automatic who had both tried previously and given up because they found the clutch and gears too difficult, they both passed first time in an automatic and then when they had more confidence,  tried the manual again.  Both passed at the first attempt.  There isn't as much stress the second time as you already have a licence and it is most unlikely that you'd lose it.  One took two years before she tried for the manual licence, but the other one started lessons again only 2 weeks after passing in the auto.  She was so relieved at passing the test it gave her confidence.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#6 19-04-04 19:58:09

rothrich

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. 
Thinking about learning to drive makes me feel sick in a way - that can't be a good sign can it??
:oops:   sad

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 19-04-04 21:51:36

Liesa

rothrich wrote

Thinking about learning to drive makes me feel sick in a way - that can't be a good sign can it??

It's perfectly normal to be nervous, but once get behind the wheel and have had a few lessons, you should start to relax and hopefully enjoy them.  wink

Good luck and keep us informed!

Board footer