You are not logged in.

#1 09-07-09 21:07:23

learnwithrichard
Verified Member

Alternative Business Model

Does anyone use their ADI qualifications ie earn money from teaching, but not use their car? I run another business that requires me to own a van which is obviously not ideal for running a conventional driving school type operation. I'm looking for an alternative business model that allows me to continue to benefit from being an ADI without the overhead of 2 vehicles.
Ideas, suggestions etc welcome.
Rich.

09-07-09 21:07:23

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Alternative Business Model

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 09-07-09 21:19:01

samds
Verified Member
Website

What about Fleet or Ordit?  You could train company drivers and PDIs in their own cars.

Is there a compromise between the van and car, a people carrier or estate maybe?

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

#3 09-07-09 21:37:33

learnwithrichard
Verified Member

smdtr,
Thanks for the quick response. My situation is that I'm now a qualified electrician and for various reasons thats the business I intend to concentrate on. However, it would be a shame to let my green badge lapse having made the effort to qualify. Plus, on the days when my wife's working and I've got the kids to collect after school I can't commit to big electrical jobs in case they overrun. A driving job on those days would be ideal. Fleet is a good idea but I don't really want to commit to a large investment as I don't think the return is there. Similarly for ORDIT. Also, here in Pembrokeshire we don't have a massive market for either. I'm thinking along the lines of refresher training for existing drivers and also training parents to supervise their children effectively but maybe there's something else I've missed.
Rich.

#4 09-07-09 21:53:18

samds
Verified Member
Website

Contact Disky about Fleet, he's involved in a funded course that will gain you entry to the register.
Vanda, I think, is heavily involved in the parent supervisor thing.  Sure you would get info from her.
You could maybe develop somekind of website training for parents, charge a subscription maybe.

What about car/van share with the wife.  I'm trying to talk the Mrs into buying a VW Camper but she
says she won't give up the beamer and drive to work in a van?  Why not I said?

What made you become an electrician?  I'm planning a change in 4 years doing a degree in music to become a teacher.

At University studying Humanities with Literature and Music.

http://www.myspace.com/scottmacalister/

#5 09-07-09 22:24:33

learnwithrichard
Verified Member

My background is software development but I left the business 5 years ago when we moved to Pembrokeshire. I suppose I got taken in a bit by the ultimate flexibility of being a driving instructor but it's not that flexible and I don't really enjoy teaching that much. Electrical work, particularly designing and testing, is very similar to software development and suits my logical mind. If it doesn't work I know I'll find out why and fix it. The same can't be said when it comes to getting learners to recognise hazards! I'm also looking to the future for my kids. The electrical business is something that any of my kids can come into in a few years time. I can't easily do that with a driving school.
Personally I think a VW camper is a much better proposition than a BMW. Keep working on her!

#6 10-07-09 07:18:04

adi
Verified Member
Website

Why not get rid of the car, do a City & Guilds PTTLS 7303 teaching certificate and set yourself up doing theory classes somewhere. You can use your experience and knowledge to help teach the theory side, properley in a classroom. If you can get 20 people paying £5 for a two hour session that would work out pretty much ok! Once word gets round that learners can get proper help for theory it wouldn't take long to build up a group. Having your ADI gives you the credability too.
If you found it enjoyable you could go as far as holding defensive driving classes teaching full licence holders how to effectively look for hazards and clues to predict possible accidents and how to avoid them, escape routes etc. It could be backed up by taking those drivers out for an hour or two in their own car.
Teaching in a classroom is very different to teaching in the car, and to a group can be good fun too!

#7 10-07-09 14:19:21

MJK
Verified Member

How about covering for other ADIs? I am sure there are lots of us who would be delighted to have someone to take our pupils in the car they are used to when we are on holiday, sick or just need a break.

#8 12-07-09 13:23:24

Disky
Verified Member
Website

i'm currently doing a PTLLS myself,, can never cover too many bases in this industry wink

Board footer