You are not logged in.

#1 18-06-06 14:38:36

jonks

Mazda 2

Mazda 2

If you use, or have used this kind of car for driving instruction, please tell us what you think of it as training car.

18-06-06 14:38:36

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Mazda 2

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 20-06-08 21:04:17

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

The new Mazda 2 is a fantastic car. 

I enjoy driving it. My pupils are taking to it like ducks to water.   The clutch bites almost as soon as you start moving your foot. this takes a couple of moments to get used to but, as soon as they have got used to it, they find it much easier to get moving than my old Micra.  Gear changes are smooth because there is so little travel in the clutch pedal.

This has deffinatley been a good move for me. 

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

#3 05-07-08 19:48:05

alv
Verified Member

I've had an old shape Mazda 2 diesel for 3 years and it's been excellent. Excellent view, easy to drive, cheap to run, loads of head room for 6 footers and never goes wrong (like most Japanese cars). The new model looks much prettier and I would definitely advise anyone to have a test drive.

I've decided to go up a size (better for fleet work) and the new shape Mazda 3 doesn't come out til next year so I'm getting a Focus instead.

My only criticism of the old shape 2 would be that petite drivers struggle to reach the pedals (I have to stick a cushion behind them) - I don't know if the new model is any better.

alv

ADI, Fleet Trainer
NG9 Driver Training
Nottingham

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 11-07-08 18:56:34

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

My only criticism of the old shape 2 would be that petite drivers struggle to reach the pedals (I have to stick a cushion behind them)

I had the same problem in the Micra.  The Mazda's peddals are closer to the floor and there is far more adjustment in the seat.

www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

"how do you do". 
They're really saying

#5 29-06-09 22:47:58

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

I took delivery of my new Mazda 2 (1.3 Ltr petrol - 5 door) about 4 weeks ago. I'm really surprised at the fuel economy, on average I've been achieving about 46 MPG which is only about 6 MPG less than what I was getting in my Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - I'm hoping to get at least 40 MPG whilst teaching! It's a nice smooth car to drive but there are a number of issues that are bugging me - I'm used to seeing the dual controls move, these are cable controlled and static! Although you can see the speedo from the passenger seat it doesn't have 30 or 70 marked which makes it a bit hit & miss! The footwells are definitely more cramped than the Fiesta! Storage space is absolutely crap, there's no where to put anything! The turning circle is considerably less than the Fiesta! The engine is very quiet, sometimes it's difficult to know when it's stalled - especially if the air-con fan is running! The gear selection is very notchy at the moment, I hope it will loosen-up after a few more miles! The electric door mirrors don't work unless the ignition is switched on! I currently have an extremely annoying rattle/squeak from the rear suspension! Mazda v Fiesta?  Unfortunately, I think the Fiesta is a far better vehicle for teaching students, so the Mazda might end-up being our new family car!

Colin Kentish
Grade 6 DSA Approved Driving Instructor (car)
www.colinkentish.co.uk

Dream as if you'll live for ever
Live as if you'll die today

#6 30-06-09 06:25:59

driverpete
Verified Member

I've had a Mazda2 1.4 diesel 5 door for about 9 months now and on the whole I'm very pleased with it. As Collywobs says storage is pretty pathetic, but then my previous car was a Nissan Micra which has probably the best storage in its class. Although 30 and 70 aren't marked on the speedo (in common with a lot of foreign cars) I soon got used to identifying the needle position. The engine is responsive and, for a diesel, relatively quiet at cruising speeds although it can be a bit noisy at low speeds. Having said that it doesn't like 2nd gear in supermarket car parks but give it a few revs (not in the car park of course!) and it goes well. The gears are positioned closer together than in the Micra so some pupils will find it easier to get 1st when they wanted 3rd but they soon learn!

Overall a good car which is liked by most people who drive it.

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 30-06-09 11:56:36

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

I've had a Mazda2 1.4 diesel 5 door for about 9 months now and on the whole I'm very pleased with it. As Collywobs says storage is pretty pathetic, but then my previous car was a Nissan Micra which has probably the best storage in its class. Although 30 and 70 aren't marked on the speedo (in common with a lot of foreign cars) I soon got used to identifying the needle position. The engine is responsive and, for a diesel, relatively quiet at cruising speeds although it can be a bit noisy at low speeds. Having said that it doesn't like 2nd gear in supermarket car parks but give it a few revs (not in the car park of course!) and it goes well. The gears are positioned closer together than in the Micra so some pupils will find it easier to get 1st when they wanted 3rd but they soon learn!

Overall a good car which is liked by most people who drive it.

Yes, I really wanted the diesel version but it's no longer available at entry level, the TS2 diesel is £2,255 more to buy than the petrol version!

Colin Kentish
www.colinkentish.co.uk

#8 01-07-09 09:20:19

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

Don't get me wrong, the Mazda 2 is a lovely car to drive! There are a number of important positives; Excellent fuel economy (40+ MPG) for a 1.3ltr petrol engined car - the vehicle weighs almost 500kg less the new Fiesta which improves performance. The drivers seat adjustment is much better than the Fiesta - the seat moves much further forward which is ideal for our vertically challenged students. Reversing - rear view visability seems better than the new Fiesta range. Unlike the Fiesta 1.4 TDCi there is no engine surge when braking at low speed (even with the air-con running) which is great when taking narrow sharp corners at very low speed or slowly approaching open junctions in 2nd gear - the downside of that is possibly having to use the hand brake more often at uphill junctions because more gas is required to move-off without stalling but that's not really a problem!

Colin Kentish
www.colinkentish.co.uk

#9 04-07-09 15:54:45

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

I've sat in the new Fiesta and thought that the Fiesta's seat and driving position were better than the Mazda. The seat drops down and back, as does the Mazda but the steering wheel is adjustable for reach. This is lacking on the Mazda.  I don't recognise the larger turning circle either.  The Mazda seems to turn at least as tight as my Micra did.

Storeage is poor though. On the whole though, i am still very happy withthe car. One year and 30000 miles later.

www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

"how do you do". 
They're really saying

#10 04-07-09 16:33:50

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

I've sat in the new Fiesta and thought that the Fiesta's seat and driving position were better than the Mazda. The seat drops down and back, as does the Mazda but the steering wheel is adjustable for reach. This is lacking on the Mazda.  I don't recognise the larger turning circle either.  The Mazda seems to turn at least as tight as my Micra did.

Storeage is poor though. On the whole though, i am still very happy withthe car. One year and 30000 miles later.

Yes, there's only a slight difference in turning circle, but although the Mazda doesn't have telescopic steering wheel adjustment the drivers seat slides much further forward than the old Fiesta, I'm not sure how that compares with the new Fiesta?
Is yours diesel or petrol comedrivewithme?

Colin Kentish
www.colinkentish.co.uk

#11 04-07-09 17:13:25

machasm
Website

Should be picking mine up on Monday and will be the first car to start my driver training career with.
Test drove both the 1.5 Petrol and 1.4 diesel versions and decided on hte diesel.
The car felt pretty well put together and seemed to have a relatively tight turning circle.
Visibilty was good as was the car's responsiveness.
Just need to start drumming up some business.

#12 06-07-09 21:48:08

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

Mine is a petrol TS2.
My seat drops down and back quite a bit so it will take drivers over 6ft tall. My smallest pupil to date was 4ft 11ins with a very small build. the car suits both. The seat is a big improvement over my Micra. If it had telescopic adjustment on the Steering column it would be even more versatile. That is where the Fiesta scores.

The new Fiesta and the Mazda 2 are built on the same platform. Both are 50 Kg lighter than their previous models and some 80kgs lighter than a Corsa.

Down side for the Fiesta? You can't put a magnetic L plate on the back of it. There is not a flat panel big enough for it to fit.

www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

"how do you do". 
They're really saying

#13 07-07-09 06:08:49

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

Mine is a petrol TS2.
My seat drops down and back quite a bit so it will take drivers over 6ft tall. My smallest pupil to date was 4ft 11ins with a very small build. the car suits both. The seat is a big improvement over my Micra. If it had telescopic adjustment on the Steering column it would be even more versatile. That is where the Fiesta scores.

The new Fiesta and the Mazda 2 are built on the same platform. Both are 50 Kg lighter than their previous models and some 80kgs lighter than a Corsa.

Down side for the Fiesta? You can't put a magnetic L plate on the back of it. There is not a flat panel big enough for it to fit.

I've just changed from diesel to petrol mainly because I hate diesel engine surge particularly when teaching beginners! However, the engine is now so quiet, it's really difficult to tell when it has actually stalled. According to the brochures, the Mazda 2 is 465kg lighter (Gross Vehicle Mass) than the new Fiesta? Many ADI's in this area no longer put 'L' Plates on the front or rear of their cars, they just use a roof box, I'm not sure whether that's technically legal? Although I've seen quite a few AA & BSM teaching without ' L' plates or roof box!

Colin Kentish
www.colinkentish.co.uk

#14 07-07-09 07:08:51

driverpete
Verified Member

Many ADI's in this area no longer put 'L' Plates on the front or rear of their cars, they just use a roof box, I'm not sure whether that's technically legal? Although I've seen quite a few AA & BSM teaching without ' L' plates or roof box!

All the law requires is that a regulation "L" should be visible to the front and rear; the roof box with the regulation "L" meets this requirement. As for the AA and BSM cars teaching without showing an "L": (a) How do you know they were teaching? Could have been going to the shops. (b) They could have been PDI's doing Part 2 or 3 so no "L" required.

RoSPA Gold
Retired ADI

#15 07-07-09 07:19:37

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

All the law requires is that a regulation "L" should be visible to the front and rear; the roof box with the regulation "L" meets this requirement. As for the AA and BSM cars teaching without showing an "L": (a) How do you know they were teaching? Could have been going to the shops. (b) They could have been PDI's doing Part 2 or 3 so no "L" required.

No, without doubt young male or female students learning to drive (one lives in my road!). Sometimes PDI training but that's more obvious, usually older students and in most cases another PDI in the back!

Colin Kentish
www.colinkentish.co.uk

#16 07-07-09 10:26:56

driverpete
Verified Member

Maybe they just forgot. Even AA/BSM employ human beings.

RoSPA Gold
Retired ADI

#17 07-07-09 10:40:35

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

Maybe they just forgot. Even AA/BSM employ human beings.

Could be, but I think some of them just rely on recognition of national company livery, they think everyone will know it's a driving school car! Sorry, we have gone off-topic here haven't we?

Colin Kentish
www.colinkentish.co.uk

Board footer