You are not logged in.

#1 15-06-09 17:44:52

RhiannonxXx

Gaps to the left

Hi, i've recently started driving again after breaking my ankle earlier in the year. I'm a bit concerned about how close i am to parked cars and if i over compensate, i'm concerned i will go over the centre markings. Probably nothing to worry about but a few tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, when i park up, i tend to be about a foot away from the kerb. I get worried when i turn in that i'm going to mouth the kerb. Is getting it right  just down to experience?

Thanks for any advice x

15-06-09 17:44:52

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Gaps to the left

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 15-06-09 18:08:04

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

Hi Rhiannon.

What you are experiencing is very normal.  When passing parked cars you want to leave about 1 metre between you and the car, another way to help with this judgement is to imagine the doors of all the parked cars lying wide open, and the idea is to not hit the open doors.  Now having said that the space you leave will all depend on the situation at the particular time.  For exampe if there is oncoming traffic, or possibly hidden pedestrians in between the cars.  In these situations you will need to considerably reduce your speed, and this reduction will make it safer to be slightly closer to the parked cars if you need to, and if a pedestrian suddenly runs out you can safely stop.
You mentioned about the centre markings, it is perfectly ok to go over the centre markings to pass a parked car, so long as you will not be causing an oncoming car to steer out of your way.  Again you will get the hang of it with plenty of practice.

When parking up you want to very slightly close than 1 foot from the kerb. The trick is not to "turn in" like you described, but rather gradually ease closer to the kerb.  It is VERY important that you do not stare at the kerb where you want to stop either, but keep your eyes focussed on a point in the distance along the kerb, way past where you want to stop because your hands will naturally follow your eyes. 

Again, with both problems practice is the key, everybody gets the hang of it after a while.

Hope that helps.

#3 17-06-09 14:45:36

RhiannonxXx

Thanks Jonny. Much appreciated.

#4 28-06-09 18:59:13

mrbrightside
Verified Member

With regards to parking next to the kerb, Jonny explains the good point about not staring at the kerb, and not turning, but rather drifting towards the kerb.

The other thing I teach my students (although it is hard to explain over the computer) is to look at where the kerb intersects the windscreen. Next time you get in the car, from your driving position, look at the bottom of the windscreen, and see where the kerb passes through it(in my car it would be about half way across). Now when you are drifting back towards the kerb to park up, you will see it move from the passenger side of the windscreen, over to the same position it was in when you got in the car. Any further across and you will touch the kerb, if its further left then you ar too far away. Hope you can make some sense of this.... it's much easier to teach in the car!

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

#5 30-06-09 20:45:55

RhiannonxXx

Hi, thanks for the replies.

What i've done is marked the windscreen wiper with a little bit of tippex, so when i'm sat in the car, that mark is virtually touching the kerb. It works pretty well so far.

#6 30-06-09 21:05:35

mrbrightside
Verified Member

Yeah, that's what I was trying to explain was my method of teaching. Although I've nevr used tippex.... just asked people to keep a mental note of the reference point! smile

Good luck with the rest of your driving!

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

#7 30-06-09 22:50:55

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi Rhiannon
What happens when its raining?? big_smile
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 01-07-09 05:30:49

RhiannonxXx

Hi Rhiannon
What happens when its raining?? big_smile
Peter

I'll have to put my hands over my eyes. Good point though!

Board footer