You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 23-06-09 14:02:05

Carlo
Verified Member

Second Car - Automatic

Hi all,

I have recently been turning alot of automatic work away and am considering buying a second hand auto.

The Mrs needs a new car so was thinking about getting an auto, fit some duals and keep a day or so free for auto lessons in my diary.  Has anybody else tried this?  My wife would take my manual car obviously when I'm teaching my auto lesson days  smile.

Also what car?  I've narrowed it down to 3.  Old shape Fiesta, Grande Punto or Renault Clio.  At the moment it's looking like the grande Punto as it's great value for money and can pick up an 07 plate with low miles for £6500  big_smile.  Has anyone had experience in running an auto Grande Punto, opinions?

Thanks for any info in advance!

Carlo  8-)

"It's easy when you know how!"

23-06-09 14:02:05

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Second Car - Automatic

#2 24-06-09 22:37:01

Target
Verified Member
Website

Say no more!

I beleive Tony on the forum uses a Grande Punto auto.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#3 25-06-09 08:59:08

Carlo
Verified Member

Cool car target.  That's the Modus isn't it? smile

How are you finding teaching auto?

#4 25-06-09 15:33:50

Target
Verified Member
Website

I love the car. No complaints, the only downside to driving/teaching is there is a large blindspot at the front on the A pillar, and the pupils seem to think its big, but I keep telling em I measured it and mirror-to-mirror and boot-to-bonnet its smaller on the outside than the Renault Clio.

I enjoy teaching and its a welcome break from the normal gears and problems they cause. Ive just spent the whole morning with pupils who cannot move away under control, and after awhile it drives you nuts. :evil:

At the moment I do not have enough work to fill one day, nor will all the pupils be able to take the same day anyway, but I try my best to get the lessons together.

Its a hassle swapping cars, but hey I need the extra income, get my way closer to that £30k, if anything just to prove i did it at least once. Not sure ill do it this year with the recession hitting harder over the winter, and the extra costs.

I seriously think I could teach this full-time, and easily drive an automatic forever....The wife loves it, the handling is good, you can switch to manual mode, speed limiter, and cruise control, on this vehicle.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#5 26-06-09 13:01:15

Carlo
Verified Member

I had a look at a Modus today!  I think it's ideal.  However the only ones I could find in my price range had 1.6 engines which made it a little pricey on road tax and insurance sad.

Shame really because visibility is fantastic in it.  I am trying to keep the costs down on this one though, as it's a new venture smile.

#6 29-06-09 19:50:51

Target
Verified Member
Website

Indeed.....Ive been looking on and off for an auto for about the last 2 years. Having the money and the costs have always been the problem, but ive managed to get around some of those hurdles now. One is just waiting till I reduced my insurance overheads, as if id done it 2 years ago I could have been paying well into £2k for 2 cars. No thanks!

The car is your choice, you know your business more than anyone. Personally I do not want something thats going to struggle with performance on NSL's, thats why my diesel has a 106, not the 86bhp which is a little too slow.

This also doubles up as a little extra weekend car, its fitted with a bike rack, so eventually I can get into riding again and spending some more time relaxing rather than just working. It also offers a large boot, which im sure you have seen working. Its not like your normal hatchback, something the wife has made good use of already.

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

#7 03-07-09 13:21:43

Carlo
Verified Member

How about in regards to getting some auto training for myself?  Would you recommend it? smile

I have driven an auto before, so thats not a problem. Probably a good idea to brush over a few things!

#8 04-07-09 17:47:49

Target
Verified Member
Website

How about in regards to getting some auto training for myself?  Would you recommend it?

Training you dont need training, just pick up the DT1 surely. big_smile

It depends what type of training you mean...I took a drive with an experienced instructor locally, we basically went for a familiarisation drive. Just this drive alone helped me undertand and advise my cleints much better than previously with regards to training.

However. It could be worth while spending more time with someone looking at typical faults, and traits of auto drivers.

Those who could learn manual fly through the training(auto) and make it look easy, at the moment I have clients who are much more nervous about driving overall and they are showing signs and intimidation by drivers, and fears in driving itself.

Work out alot for yourself....Ive learnt very quickly with my teaching/coaching experience to cover the brake....Did a TITR with a client, we are inches from the kerb and instead of pressing the brake she hit the gas really hard..............She then turned around and said ' Have I stalled it?'.........No! I stopped IT! :evil:

QEF Mobility Qualified
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk

Board footer