You are not logged in.

#1 11-06-09 15:50:48

dog
Verified Member

What can I tow?

I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this. I passed in September 2007. I have B, B1, f, k and p on my licence. In regards to trailers etc, what can I tow? Thanks.

11-06-09 15:50:48

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: What can I tow?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 11-06-09 16:54:09

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Basically trailers up to 750kg Gross Vehicle Weight(GVW) or Maximum Authorised Mass(MAM)
There are some exceptions to this rule allowing you to tow some heavier trailers but we would need to know the MAM of your towing vehicle, the MAM of your trailer and also the Kerbside weight of the towing vehicle; in order to advise about that particular
combination.
See this document.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … DG_4022547

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 12-06-09 11:30:58

dog
Verified Member

This is the part which I can't understand though:-

Motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg having not more than eight passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg. Combinations of towing vehicles in category B and a trailer, where the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3500kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle

Maximum authorised mass - is that the total allowed weight of the car including passengers, or is it the total allowed weight of the car including passengers AND the trailer?

Also, how do I find out my cars MAM etc?

#4 12-06-09 17:25:05

reddragonbus
Verified Member

MAM is the maximum weight the vehicle or trailer is allowed to weigh on the public road. It includes the weight of the empty vehicle, fuel, water, oil, passengers, cargo etc

The towing vehicle has a MAM and the trailer has a MAM, these weights are on a plate on the vehicle/ trailer and can be found in the manual for the car. They may be shown as GVW gross vehicle weight.

On a category B licence you are limited to a combination of towing vehicle upto 3500KG plus a trailer of 750KG total (overall weight) train weight of 4250KG.

If the trailer is above 750KG then the total train weight is limited to 3500KG.

It doesnt matter if the towing vehicle and trailer are empty it is the MAM that is used to decide which driving licence is required.

Beyond the licence requirements you also need to consider the weight of the trailer in relation to the towing capacity of the towing vehicle.

It is easier if you tell us the MAM of the towing vehicle and the MAM of the trailer and we can tell you what licence you require.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#5 12-06-09 23:10:51

dog
Verified Member

Not sure on the MAM of either, but it'll be a Suzuki Vitara towing a small trailer with a couple of mountain bikes in.

#6 13-06-09 09:32:22

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi
Simple point which we obviously forgot to mention.
If it is a small proprietry made trailer without brakes it is going to be under 750kg.
The load you now mention is not going to amount to enough to take the actual weight up to more than that, so that would be a legal on a B licence.

Next tip.
If you can't see a small trailer in the mirrors or the rear window, when it is inline with the vehicle, don't try reversing more than just a few feet, it will go off line so quickly that you will struggle to get it back online.
It is far easier to unhitch and manhandle it.

#7 13-06-09 18:18:51

dog
Verified Member

Yeah that's cool, not much will reversing will be done with it. It will be an unbraked trailer, really small, only to carry a couple of muddy mountain bikes and drinks etc. Something light enough to unhitch and pull into a shed or whateven when not being used.

Board footer