You are not logged in.

#1 11-06-09 14:07:46

wolves
Verified Member

SCHOOL NAME

Hi
If i wanted to use my own name do i have to check somewhere that i don't infringe on the same name (legally)?
Regards Paul

Part 1.....100% & 57  passed 1st Time
Part 2.....4 minors     Passed 1st Time
Part 3.....3 & 3         Failed 1st attempt
part 3.....2 & 3         Failed 2nd attempt
part 3.....3 & 4         Failed 3rd attempt
part 1..Round2..96% & 68% passed 1st time
Part 2..Round2..3 minors 1 serious failed 1st attempt
Part 2..Round2..5 minors Passed 2nd attempt
Part 3..Round2..4 & 3 Failed 1st attempt
part 3..round2..3 & 3 failed 2nd attempt
part 3..round2..4 & 5 PASSED 3rd attempt woohoo!

11-06-09 14:07:46

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: SCHOOL NAME

#2 12-06-09 21:41:07

reddragonbus
Verified Member

You can't use a name that is registered as a LTD or PLC or a trade mark.

It is also wise not to set up with the same or similar name as another company that you are aware of.

Google is a good place to start checking.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 12-06-09 22:00:05

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

If you are using your own name in a local area, I don't think there is a problem. I dare say there are David Smiths working all over the country. 

I Own, Come drive with me.com ltd and have registered all the obvious domains, just to keep the name all to myself. 

Owning the .com ltd doesn't guarantee someone else can't use it but gives me a good chance of challenging another company using it. 

Trade marks are a whole different ball game. You will have to spend at least £400 and there is no guarantee that you'll get the outcome that you want.

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

#4 13-06-09 22:04:47

mattlilley
Verified Member
Website

Hi Wolves congrats mate on passing your part 3...well done.

I passed my part 3 in May 09 and wanted a company name as i'm going indie.

Stick companies house in a google search and follow the instructions with the company name you want, it will tell you if anyone else is trading under that name.

Best of luck with your new venture.

Matt

Part 1. Passed 16/4/08
Part 2. Passed 16/5/08
Part 3. Failed 1st attempt 17/3/09
Part 3. 2nd attempt Passed 01/05/09
1st Check Test Grade 6 31/3/10

#5 14-06-09 18:12:22

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

There was a recent topic on trademark infringement

http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/fo … 605.0.html

which has a lot of info about this, do a search for it. There is the situation that if there is a driving school existing anywhere in the country with the same name they could take action due to what is called "passing off". have a read of the other topic though as it's covered there.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#6 14-06-09 19:11:13

wolves
Verified Member

Cheers, just looked at a local school in my area and there are another 7 the same around the country on 2 pages of google.
Cheers Paul

Part 1.....100% & 57  passed 1st Time
Part 2.....4 minors     Passed 1st Time
Part 3.....3 & 3         Failed 1st attempt
part 3.....2 & 3         Failed 2nd attempt
part 3.....3 & 4         Failed 3rd attempt
part 1..Round2..96% & 68% passed 1st time
Part 2..Round2..3 minors 1 serious failed 1st attempt
Part 2..Round2..5 minors Passed 2nd attempt
Part 3..Round2..4 & 3 Failed 1st attempt
part 3..round2..3 & 3 failed 2nd attempt
part 3..round2..4 & 5 PASSED 3rd attempt woohoo!

#7 15-06-09 12:17:13

Trumper
Verified Member

Not a problem if you trade under your own name. You need to register a name if trading under another name rather than your own or a Ltd company.

Well done for passing. Try and post a write up. Good luck

O.R.D.I.T. Dip D.I
Fleet reg
A.D.I  Car manual
Cardington A , D.I.A Special test, R.O.S.P.A , I.A.M

#8 15-06-09 13:23:09

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

If you are a sole trader the only people you need to tell about your name is the tax man. If you are a limited company then you have to register with companies house and all the rules are different. 

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#9 18-06-09 21:08:23

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

Searching on companies house will only reveal ltd companies.

If a sole trader has no web domains, I'm not sure you will find them.

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

Board footer