You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 03-06-09 20:14:51

june315
Verified Member

This is one......

for instructors teaching in automatics

My daughter has just restarted her lessons after a break of 2 years and has changed to automatic. It obviously suits her, she looks forward to her lessons and is more confident. I am a little worried though as her instructor never writes anything down and there doesn't appear to be any structure to her lesson. He is a nice enough guy but surely she is paying him for more than just riding around. Also she asked him about what she needs to do at traffic lights i.e in drive with handbrake on or in neutral with handbrake, he wasn't sure. Any help would be gratefully appreciated smile

22/06/07 - part 1 - 93% 64
31/07/07 - part 2 - passed 3m
11/05/09 - part 3 - 4/4

03-06-09 20:14:51

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: This is one......

#2 03-06-09 20:33:37

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

You could ask to see his badge.

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#3 03-06-09 21:02:43

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
I dont write anything down and give verbal advice and feedback.
On the traffic light question;did he really NOT know or was the answer along the lines of:depends?
If you post a question about what to do when stopped at traffic lights to 20 instructors,you will probably get 20 different answers.
Peter
ps.if he really didnt know.check his badge.

Dont press that,oh @@##!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 03-06-09 21:46:17

evondoll
Verified Member
Website

It obviously suits her, she looks forward to her lessons and is more confident.

This is the most important thing. If she is enjoying the lessons and getting more confident she will be learning.
If your worried about the instructor tho why not have a word with him? I know I make myself available to my young learners parents to ask any questions they may have.

Evon x

#5 04-06-09 22:05:47

Target
Verified Member
Website

Im sure you would agree L Peter but this can sometimes be the problem with this profession.

Personally I think if an instructor is asked this question and assuming the answer as posted is what was said then every instructor should give the same answer.

If waiting at traffic lights the car needs to be safe, as per the HWC you would apply the handbrake.

Driving an automatic is no different, although the risks of not using the handbrake are higher in an auto than that of the manual.

The process may come into question whether one selects Neutral or leaves the car in drive. Most pupils will leave the car in 1st gear with the clutch down in a manual unless the pause is going to be a long wait, or your at the back of the q. In an auto the car is in drive, yet being held on the handbrake, personally I apply the above by selecting neutral but its not something i insist on during the early stages of learning, as getting the car moving is more important.

So I would apply the handbrake at traffic lights unless the pause is too short its not needed or this effects progress. I would select neutral again if the pause is long enough to go from Drive into Neutral and back into drive without taking too long over the padle shifts.

I take notes, but any pupil may not know I have my own records. I use a driver record, but again its for guidance and because so many, literally every pupil now has some experience already I dont fill them out very often. I try to encourage pupils to remind me what they have been doing where they feel their strong areas of driving are, and areas they want to work on. It makes my job easier when they agree with what I was already thinking.

Target Tuition - Automatic and Manual Tuition in North London

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#6 08-06-09 07:00:38

nigel
Verified Member

how long is a long pause and how long is a short pause?

DSA ADI
Fleet trainer, Iam ,Rospa (gold) Tutor. DIAmond Advanced/

Board footer