You are not logged in.

#1 15-05-09 19:51:30

mon
Verified Member
Website

Biting Point Split

Hi everyone,just wondered when teaching real pupils do any of you instructors break the biting point down into 2 parts,Holding Point/Driving Point.
My trainer showed me this method a couple of weeks ago and it does make good sense i.e Moving off,Listen for the dip in the revs,keep feet still,(holding Point) after mirrors and Blind spot check ,drop handbrake,the car wont move off to quickly then,now up thickness of pound coin,keep feet still,now thats Driving Point.
Gives the pupil a little more time to get the steering on and doesn't seem so much of a rush,especially at beginner stages.
I'm asking because on Control(Moving Off and Stopping) Blaine does't teach this,its drop the handbrake as you turn your head to the front,and straight away we are moving,seems abit rushed to me for a new driver,
I asked my Trainer is this a new method as I only ever heard of Biting Point,he said he first read about in one of Margaret Stacey's write ups and has used it ever since,,,any thoughts
Mon

From Striving to Driving.....Lurgan Co.Armagh

15-05-09 19:51:30

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Biting Point Split

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 15-05-09 19:59:09

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi mon
When i teach new drivers i get them to set gas 1st;able to keep a steady rev count without thinking about it.
Then,seperately,find the bite.[without thinking about it]
Then i get them to do them both together.
After that i get them moving off.
Thats when the fun starts!!!
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#3 16-05-09 17:45:27

Doc
Verified Member
Website

As the old saying goes, "there's more than 1 way to skin a cat" so there are a variety of ways to teach your learners. Safety should be foremost in your mind when teaching, but where safety isn't breached then your pupil's requirements and eco driving will dictate the methods you use. If it is something you are comfortable with in your own driving and you can pass the skill on then there is nothing to say that you shouldn't use it. For an alternative opinion it is always advisable to seek clarification from those who matter, such as your DTAM who will be conducting your check tests.

#4 17-05-09 12:06:57

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

If it works use it!

If it don't - don't bother!

If your student does not understand - think of another way of putting it! 

Remain flexible with your teaching, if it is rigid - you are not a great teacher - students are individuals!

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#5 01-06-09 15:05:58

Jaemey
Verified Member
Website

Hi mon, I use it sometimes if a particular pupil has difficulty in understanding the biting point. I explain to them that the biting point is found as the tone of the engine dips after setting the gas and gently raising the clutch. I always tell them to keep their feet completely still. Some have real difficulty in controlling their right foot so the revs go up and down like a brides nighty. In this case I ask them to start setting the gas and then distract them by talking to them or asking them to count the leaves on a tree, or how many bits of litter they can count, nine times out of ten they will set the gas and keep it steady without even realising it. Try it, it really does work. Anyway I digress, I used to explain a stationary biting point and a moving biting point but found that the £1 coin method is far more effective. Find the bite, then raise the clutch the thickness of a £1 and hold it until we're moving then gently raise it the rest of the way and put the clutch foot flat on the floor. It works for me every time, but everyone is different. Try different ways and find both yours and your pupils most comfortable way of doing it.

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

www.passexpress.co.uk

Board footer