You are not logged in.

#1 31-05-09 18:39:24

SnaxMuppet

Is my car too old?

I am getting to that stage now when I need to start considering what I am going to do when I pass my part 3.

One of my options is to keep my existing car, add dual controls, and use it for instructing... at least for a while until I get myself a few pupils to pay for a newer one.

It is a petrol Yaris, so quite an acceptable school car, but it is 6 years old but only has 23,000 miles. We have had it most of that time and it has never let me down... only failure is a electric window a couple of weeks ago!! It has been regularly serviced and is in excellent condition.

What do people advise...? Should I consider using this car or do you think that given its age I should consider a new car (probably leased)?

Your thoughts please?

31-05-09 18:39:24

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Is my car too old?

#2 31-05-09 20:01:02

nigel
Verified Member

hi mate
i would stay with your car until you are satisfied its all going well then consider your other options, its not hard to get duals fitted, and if the age worries you stick a private plate on it, although do that before getting it insured cause they charge extra when you change, good luck for the future, hope you do well big_smile big_smile

DSA ADI
Fleet trainer, Iam ,Rospa (gold) Tutor. DIAmond Advanced/

#3 31-05-09 20:37:16

jonnmedds
Verified Member

Should be ok, most learners wouldn't notice the age of the vehicle anyway.

Jon

#4 31-05-09 21:14:11

john55
Verified Member

i would defo stick with the Yaris. good car to teach in and Toyota's are generally very reliable.

agree with Jon, most pupils won't notice the age of the car. keep it sparkling inside and out. get it serviced when it's due. you'll have no probs with it i bet.

should cost you about £350-£400 to get the duals fitted.

when you pass your pupils will stay with you coz you're a good instructor, not coz you've got a flash car.  smile

If you can't do it safely don't do it at all

#5 31-05-09 21:15:27

driver69

As long as it is clean and roadworthy, some pupils don`t even notice you have changed to a new car 'till they try to adjust the seat and can`t find the adjuster never mind how old the car is  smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 01-06-09 08:33:29

jonnmedds
Verified Member

As long as it is clean and roadworthy, some pupils don`t even notice you have changed to a new car 'till they try to adjust the seat and can`t find the adjuster never mind how old the car is  smile

Agree totally with the above. Back in 2002 I went indi. So change of car(focus to corsa), change of colour(silver to blue) and completely different roof sign. Most of my customers didn't notice, even though i'd informed them I was going indi 2 weeks previous. One young lad as he was half way into his lesson in the new car asks, "so when are you getting your new car then", my reply "you're driving it" big_smile big_smile

Jon

#7 10-06-09 15:10:57

Martyn Bryan
Verified Member

Buy a "private" plate, and suddenly age is no longer an issue!!

Martyn

#8 10-06-09 19:13:25

hector
Verified Member
Website

Agree entirely M100 UFC is gone though  big_smile

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#9 08-09-09 12:30:29

Cat8t3
Verified Member

I started in February, i have kept my car which is a 52 plate megane, bought duals off ebay for £45 and my uncle is a mechanic so he fitted them for free. None of my pupils have ever mentioned that my cars old, nor have the suggested that i update it, bet if i was to ask them, they probably wouldnt even know what type of car the are driving.  big_smile big_smile big_smile

Stick with the yaris, even if you have to fix anything, im sure it will be a lot cheaper than paying out for a new one. Best of luck.  smile smile

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

#10 08-09-09 20:50:50

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

I bought my Aygo new, but next time I'm planning to buy an older car. Pupils don't care or notice, mine all think its a Yaris.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

Board footer