You are not logged in.

#1 29-05-09 09:44:12

db1
Verified Member

more part two questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When doing a reverse left or right on Part two test what is the correct speed, I think my instructor is teaching me to slow a speed it is snail pace, when I asked him he said yes this is what the SE is looking for, I have seen learners going quicker, I thought that as an experienced driver it should be a bit quicker.

Part one passed 1st Time 06/04/2009 98/68
Part two passed 1st time 23/06/2009 2df
part three           waiting

I.A.M assessor, R.O.S.P.A Gold

29-05-09 09:44:12

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: more part two questions

#2 29-05-09 09:49:40

VandADI
Administrator

You need to remain in control of the vehicle, so a slow speed would be adviseable, however, you should also be observing all around making sure you remain accurate throughout.  You can only achieve this if the vehicle is at a slow speed.
You probably have seen learners going quicker, and most of them fail because they are going a little too fast and not giving themselves time to observe and not completing accurately, eg striking kerb  or going too wide.

#3 29-05-09 12:07:25

DampDog
Verified Member

Think about what you'll be trying to achieve with your learner. The most important in your mind has to be safety! So what do they need to do and how are they going to do it.

They need to have time to do "effective observations", easiest way to achieve that is to keep it slow and give them more time, and slow means under control. If you're slow enough and you get position wrong you can get it back because you've not moved very far. Anything quicker than a very, very, slow walk is too fast. I'd even go as far the to say the clutch should never be fully up (but I never say never). I absolutely guarantee you, come part 3, if you doing a maneouver the examiner will get it going too quick if you let him.

Drive it as you intend to teach it, that way you'll know in your head where they should looking and why and if they're too fast, let em go too fast and they get away from you in a blink of an eye.

Hope that helps
DD 

ADI (car)
1st CT (5)

I used to be a compleat idiot, until some bits fell off...

#4 29-05-09 14:46:49

db1
Verified Member

Thanks for the replies, Snails pace it shall be big_smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 29-05-09 21:36:57

Target
Verified Member
Website

when I asked him he said yes this is what the SE is looking for

Those were the days.....What the SE is looking for. I remember many people going down the pan for the very same comments because they started to perform.

All I would add is try to keep the mans consistant in your movement, always have something happening in the car, if you have to stop observe, read the road. If your moving think one stage ahead, so your checking your blindspot for example just before you steer - Not STOP THEN CHECK.

When I take out Part 2 candidates the first thing I notice is they are like robots, they do this here they do that there, they stop they look, yet none are really assessing the situation, they see things but do not assess.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#6 30-05-09 07:36:46

db1
Verified Member

Thank you TargetADI, and all the other people for the replies, sounds like good advice smile my main problem is my instructors all have a slightly different way of doing, it I am with TIC, and because of sickness and holidays since I past part one on the 6th April, I have had only two lessons both with different instructors, my third lesson is now due on the 5th June (with another different instructor ) after being cancelled in May, my test is on the 24th June, so any advice is very welcome, as most of my learning is every day for at least one hour on my own, not much support from TIC at all.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 30-05-09 07:44:52

evanadi

Think about what you'll be trying to achieve with your learner. The most important in your mind has to be safety! So what do they need to do and how are they going to do it.

Excellent advice from Dave, you can see from his answer that he is (quite rightly), connecting the part 2 and 3 tests together. An example of good training. Ev

#8 30-05-09 09:10:24

Target
Verified Member
Website

Having different ways of doing things can be useful, at the same time it can be very confusing.

You need to decided whats good information for you and discard the rest. I found this one my part 3 especially, once I started to place my own style onto the task it started to make sense.

Take the pupil who goes out with mum & dad.

You need to become your best critic. The drive has to be perfect, its an advanced driving course and im sure as you have noticed the standard is higher than your Rospa, mainly because of the attention to detail, not to mention your future depends on it.

Aim high, and look at every aspect of your driving. If you braking too heavy WHY? If your touching the kerbs WHY?

When you can do this consistantly without having to over think things, then your ready and part 2 becomes a normal drive.

Good Luck!

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#9 30-05-09 18:43:11

evanadi

The pupils will dictate that you teach in different ways, its as simple as that. Its not a case of standing in front of a blackboard and pointing to pertinent points marked on there.

You will get some pupils will almost teach themselves with minimal amount of explanation and instruction. You will get others who will struggle over every element of the syllabus.

There is often talk about 'plateaus' when teaching pupils, you will find that some pupils literally reach a plateau after every milestone of learning. Some instructors can go the distance and change the way they teach, others have neither the patience, the knowledge or the interest to try and find other ways of doing things.

Passing the part 1 2 and 3 elements of becoming an instructor are a small step, right at the bottom of the stairs. If you are to become good at this job, and avoid the boredom that seems to set in with some, you need to constantly re-invent what you are doing.

It makes the job interesting, it makes you a better instructor, it results in a far better presentation of the syllabus, and also helps those who want to improve their knowledge and ultimately their check test results. Ev

#10 31-05-09 08:38:14

yasmin
Verified Member

A great post evanadi. I've been instructing for 3 and a half years now and when I look back to my Part 3, I must have been good enough to pass but it was only barely on the 'ladder'. Like you, I'm forever re-inventing myself and finding new ways to teach as pupils come in so many different shapes, sizes, abilities, mind sets--- whatever. You think you've just worked out the 'perfect' formula when someone else comes along to smash it to bits! But that is all part of the fun and when the day arrives that I don't want to rise to the challenge, then I'll know it is time to give up.

#11 16-06-09 11:53:18

Orfana

I am due to be taking my part 2 test in august for the first time.  I have done it before about 3 years ago but i failed it 3 times.  Can I pleaaaaaase have some advice, as I am reaaaaaaaallly reaaaaaaaallly nervous about it.

#12 13-07-09 18:00:02

julieb

Hello Orfana,

Sorry to hear u have had difficulty with part 2 in the past, my advice would be to look at those past experiences as a possitive and use them to ur advantage by looking back on what happened and learning from them.  I trust that u have a good trainer supporting you through ur part 2 training???? All i can suggest is practise in your spare time and read the books driving the essential skills and the driving instructors hand book.  If there is anything you need to know or anything your not sure about please ask me. Always happy to help, Julie.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 13-07-09 20:51:41

Orfana

hi ,julie, thanks for the advice, will let u know how i get on. test in 4 weeks time.

Hello Orfana,

Sorry to hear u have had difficulty with part 2 in the past, my advice would be to look at those past experiences as a possitive and use them to ur advantage by looking back on what happened and learning from them.  I trust that u have a good trainer supporting you through ur part 2 training???? All i can suggest is practise in your spare time and read the books driving the essential skills and the driving instructors hand book.  If there is anything you need to know or anything your not sure about please ask me. Always happy to help, Julie.

#14 21-07-09 12:02:40

Orfana

Thanks Julie,

My instructor is good but i think last time i rushed into it i did all three tests in the same week after failing it the first time!!!!!!  Was so desperate to pass I think.  I'm taking things alot slower this time, and am getting a little bit of practise on the test routes but will do more as time is getting closer.  Any useful tips that i can keep in my head.?????

#15 29-07-09 20:18:12

Mars
Verified Member
Website

Thats good advice from Julie,  try and be natural and normal in your driving, for instance crossing your hands is ok, repositioning on manouvres is allowed although it will get you a minor fault it is better than failing because you dont know you can do it.  If you need to stop and check your position on a bay park then do it, even open your door and have a look. If you want to signal but are not sure it is necessary then do it, no problem as long as its not misleading.

The examiner is looking for a smooth progressive drive which is safe and accurate and demonstrates a knowledge of the highway code and Driving Essential Skills.

The statements in my first paragraph may draw some flack, ouch, but it can all be checked simply by ringing the DSA Technical Standards branch or talking to your local SEADI.  If they say different tell me and i will sort them out, it wont be the first time !!

I have never had anyone not get through Part 2 and I teach as above..........good luck with it.

#16 08-08-09 20:06:09

Orfana

Hi Julie,

Gpt my test in a couple of days time and had a driving lesson with another instructor local to me. yikes yikes yikes completely different to my regular instructor.  yes, he  was alot better and actually made critcism which i took as a learning motive, but then do i have time????????????? i have another lesson with my regular instructor tomorrow and will tell him that i have had another lesson, and also of the comments that he made.  do you think i should cancel my test on Monday???? don't think i am ready for it!!!! neutral

Orfana

#17 09-08-09 12:09:31

Luchell
Verified Member

I think you can answer your own question there. If you don't feel ready don't go and waste an attempt, yes you will lose the fee as it's too late as such to cancel but if you know you don't stand a chance or don't feel confident perhaps wasting one of your three attempts isn't the best idea.

#18 09-08-09 16:50:18

julieb

Hi Orfana,

Sorry for the delay in reply. Well done for taking the critism as a learning motive - use that to your advantage!!!  I agree with Luchell, only you know if your ready or not, and if you do decide to cancel your test - like she says you will loose the money as it's too late to cancel but at least you haven't wasted a life line.  What did your regular instructor say when you told him?? Does he think your ready for your test? Please forgive me if I am wrong but I can't help thinking that maybe it's just last minute nerves are setting in??? - (I have my part 3 soon and that's what it is with me) -   If you do decide to go a head with your test on monday - then just try to relax, be yourself ( easier said than done i know!!!) All the examiner is looking for is a smooth progressive safe and natural drive which like mars says demonstrates knowledge of the high way code etc.  Mars has given you some excellent advice there, he is my instructor and got me through my part 2, I crossed my hands for turn in the road and didn't get a minor fault for it or anything.  Any way best of luck whatever you decide to do, looking forward to hearing from you with regards to what you are going to do and/or how you got on.  Take care, julie.     

#19 10-08-09 18:13:31

Orfana

big_smile Hi guys

Htought I'd let u know that i passed my part 2 today first time with 3 minors.  I was chuffed to bits. wink  Thought I had failed when I was doing my right corner reverse which he asked to do within 3 minutes of the test.  As i started to go round my left leg was shaking like there was no tomorrow.  thought i'd stall the car!!!! but god was on my side and managed to finished the manouevre without stalling.  so Part 3 here I cum tongue  Thanks for all the sound advice you have given me and wish you luck for your part 3.

By the way did I say that the instructor was good????????
Orfana big_smile big_smile big_smile

#20 10-08-09 19:25:27

julieb

That is absolutely fantastic news!!!! Very, very well done!!!! smile I am chuffed to bits for you!!! Been thinking and wondering whether you were going ahead with your test today! You should be so proud of your self - I am very proud and I don't even know you! lol!!! Welcome to part 3 - where the fun really begins!!!   

Board footer