You are not logged in.

#1 28-03-09 19:30:39

MFB
Verified Member

My first attempt Pt3 fail write up - Pt3 pass write up to follow

First attempt Pt3 fail…

Hi all

Had hoped this would be my first and last attempt but was not to be.
I am doing this write up for all the PDI’s out there, as I found them very useful. Hopefully someone might find this too.

(Since starting to write this last week ,I have now passed my part 3 and will do a write up )

PST 5   I was never very keen on this one as always struck me as being 2 different subjects ( which it did , and obviously is !) ,which lets be honest isn’t really desirable on a first attempt Phase 1 Pt3 test, as there is enough pressure anyway!.
Here goes…

PHASE1

Mirrors / Emergency stop

He introduced himself as Kevin and said he had had a few lessons prior etc. but his instructor wanted him to be given a lesson on the above.
So personal introductions etc and lesson subject introduction, explaining I will deal with mirrors first and then out on the road we would stop and brief fully on E/stop. I then clarified what previous experience he had etc regarding mirrors, MSM etc .Asked about mirror types (how to tell etc) how to use ,when to use, what to look for and why. All answers were spot on. Then dealt with blind spots where, how, why .All answers spot on including A pillar blind spots. All very good ( here lies 1 clue to my fail for Phase 1!) I used my Colourfile pics all the way just to add a visual element and to enhance my questions. So far so good
Set aims and objectives and what we would be doing and asked him to do cock pit checks which were perfect. Handbrake, left hand door shut check ,no twisted seatbelt ( he even gave it a tug to see if it was coupled properly!) seat adjusted correctly,(clutch operated to check seat was right) headrestraint checked! (I asked why headrestraint should be right etc and he answered correctly) Int. Mirror adjusted using both hands (finger tips only!) and not moving his head ,only eyes , wing mirrors ok (all lines of vision correct) Fantastic! ( mmm…strange this considering only had a few lessons) Checked if he was happy to drive off from here and said “ more than happy” So,” lets move off and turn right out of the TC carpark, please,”  He then Puts clutch down ,Selects 1st, sets gas ,finds holding point ,covers h/brake . Does mirrors , blind spots (left and right) but then decides to put the car back into neutral, feet off pedals (h/brake still on) looks at me and says sorry and adjusts his seat a notch. Then we leave the carpark with me talking him thru but him driving as well as I and you lot can! Good obs ,selecting 1st  on the move,( creep & peep) as fairly closed, overall really smooth and in control etc.

Above lies the 1st balls up on my part. He didn’t re-adjust the mirrors after adjusting seat. He didn’t do both shoulders blind spots again before moving away!  From then on he drove like a Pro , nice gear selections ,full pullpush steering ,( mmmm,very strange) but with various mirror faults which I corrected etc and he seemed to learn quickly.All was going well and started thinking about E/stop etc…  But we then found ourselves in an Industrial estate which had hit lunchtime so was pretty busy (arctics parked up opposite junctions, people parked up at snax wagons, people pulling out of side roads in a rush etc.) All in all pretty hairy for any ADI with a virtual beginner, and certainly not nice for a PT3 mirrors lesson!  Bad mirror timing and use was developing and he kept forgetting o/s checks and I was ID-ing and remedying etc ok but there was so much happening I was finding it hard to keep track, and felt like I would lose control of the lesson ,so we pulled up and talked over it, when ,why, how, maybe slow it up a bit so he could practice the MSM routine .But it wasn’t enough.
I am very cross with myself over my lack of teaching, control and fault ID of this part as this is what I effectively failed on. The fact that he showed he could control the car well with good positioning and signal use , and showed/told me that he knew when ,how and why to use mirrors and blind spots, should have been the prompt for me to simply check his mirror use( having seen the need for MIRROR-s-m)  and ensured the right timing etc I knew what was required but basically my brain went into “this is a beginner“ mode, (ie me ultimately prioritising physical safety: correct positioning ,meeting etc as any instructor would with a beginner) This section was about MIRRORS – that’s it. He knew all about them ,all I had to do was check their use!
Of course, with the introduction of another subject ie E/stop and all the demands of briefing ,practice, core comps etc this then magnified my weakness!
What happened, I don’t know!
Oh well… :oops:

Onto E/stop

I guess about this stage I was settling in.

Good briefing ,Q+A etc. All went really well, Did dry run, corrected faults ,then did 4 stops in all and his faults were all as expected.ie quick reaction (lack of!) .sorted .Use of footbrake/clutch (all wrong), sorted. He even looked down at the pedals the first time, then fumbled about ,trying to decide what foot went where and about 2 seconds later decided to push them fairly softly and stopped the car! (quite funny looking back!)  Skidding ( prevention of and brief advice on correction).sorted. Mirrors (no check required etc).sorted. 3rd – 4th attempt were good and gave praise etc.

End of Phase 1

PHASE 2

Pst 5
Progress, Positioning & Hesitancy

Andy had had quite a few lessons that were going well but had been told of a few weak points etc ( the above)
I asked a few questions which ensured he knew what the above points meant , explained what we would do, that I would initially assess etc then help him sort any problems , I set aims and objectives , and ensured he was happy which he seemed to be. Did cockpit drill etc. Off we go and all went pretty well. Faults as expected : Progress (too slow on approach,emerge etc , Matching speed to others following when merging, approaching hazards too fast etc. Hesitancy eg not seeing windows when emerging etc applying h/brake when not needed thus missing opportunities .Road positioning general driving  ( too far to centre) right bends ( too near to centre) Left bends ( too near to left) All the above I either sorted on the move or got him to stop when I could and corrected with Q&A and diagrams etc. Drive back towards TC was good with problems sorted .
Before even actually entering TC carpark he had come out of role and seemed more concerned about telling me why he was going to park in corner of car park due to tests all going out at once (why do they do this?..chaos in car park with 4 learners all trying to do show me tell me and drive away all at once) Attempted debrief to see what he thought of progress and explain where I saw improvements and to give praise and suggest area of more practice/improvement but he didn’t seem interested in being in role anymore and more keen to get out of car. This gave me a feeling that I might have failed! He said he would be back in 10-15 mins.
He eventually turned up

Fail
3-4

Basically he said I missed a 4 on Phase 1 due to not seeing the seat position correction needing a re-adjusting of mirrors and lack of repeating of  blind spot checks when first pulling away ,and not checking both blind spots before moving away after one of the E/stops. I didn’t spot several general mirror faults. Basically, weak core comps!

The E/stop brief ,ID ,Analysis, Remedy were good, planned ok and controlled ok and said it was a shame because the first part pulled the 2nd part down.
I had learnt that there is no “unofficial” 5 minute warm up to settle in, as there is on a Pt 2 Driving test or the Advanced tests etc that I have done, oh no ,from the moment he says “start when you are ready“ , he is watching and taking mental notes – be warned!

Phase 2 fault ID, analysis, remedy were all good, but said that I could have pulled him up more and not to be afraid to actually teach ,therefore level of instruction ,control and planning were only ok. (Most of the route he took me were main roads with DYL, sections of dual with R/abouts and roads with cycle lanes with solid or broken lines. I had a right job to find somewhere to pull him up in a sensible location and the rest of the route was country(ish) lanes. Not exactly ideal! Mmm…) neutral
As far as not actually teaching enough.. well.. I’m sure I am not the only one to be afraid of over instructing on a Phase 2 !  (on this point , read the Phase 2 part of my Pt 3 pass which is my next write up!)
But ,fair enough ,I wasn’t good enough ,( but it could’ve been worse!)

It was undoubtedly a positive experience and I learnt something of what to expect next time…..

MFB

28-03-09 19:30:39

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: My first attempt Pt3 fail write up - Pt3 pass write up to follow

#2 28-03-09 21:16:14

wolves
Verified Member

Nice wright up, i look forward to your wright up on your pass, well done, i think i would have done the same as you with regards to the SEADI adjusting the seat, i would have thought  the examiner had made a mistake himself (crafty) how many learners would do that?
Regards Paul

Part 1.....100% & 57  passed 1st Time
Part 2.....4 minors     Passed 1st Time
Part 3.....3 & 3         Failed 1st attempt
part 3.....2 & 3         Failed 2nd attempt
part 3.....3 & 4         Failed 3rd attempt
part 1..Round2..96% & 68% passed 1st time
Part 2..Round2..3 minors 1 serious failed 1st attempt
Part 2..Round2..5 minors Passed 2nd attempt
Part 3..Round2..4 & 3 Failed 1st attempt
part 3..round2..3 & 3 failed 2nd attempt
part 3..round2..4 & 5 PASSED 3rd attempt woohoo!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 28-03-09 23:57:06

Luchell
Verified Member

Not crafty at all from my point of view. Many a learner will sort their cockpit drill, have it all looking great then decide the seat isn't in the position they wanted it in. Seat get's moved with no second thought of the mirrors needing resetting or possible resetting. If your pupil has done this then they need it core comping. i.e Didn't realise moving would mean considering mirror positions. Simply forgot to reorganise things, didn't know how to move the mirrors for what ever reason etc etc etc

No offence meant but it's a classic if not basic fault especially likely to appear on such a pst. What may seem like a crafty thing to do is infact a fault learners don't necessarily find it hard to chuck out on a lesson  lol

Thanks for taking the time to put your write ups here, i am sure many will take benefit from them  smile

#4 30-03-09 15:04:15

gavin b
Verified Member

Hi,

Well done excellent write up. tongue

I had this PST on my final attempt and it was always my Fav, i knew i had passed before i began  big_smile

Better luck next time  big_smile

Gav  8-)

A.D.I (Car). Driving Instructor Trainer.
BTEC Qualified Instuctor/Coach

#5 01-04-09 21:09:57

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Hi

Thank you for the excellent write up. I'm sorry you had delayed success. Look forward to your next write up.

Cat smile

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

#6 01-04-09 21:21:25

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

The not re-adjusting the mirrors after moving seat is a classic "fault" which all trainers should point out to their PDI's.

As with all PST's their is a handy list of faults they are going to try and put in on the left of the PST marking sheet, knowing what these faults are makes passing part 3 straightforward.

The simple thing all PDI's should take from the write up is watch the "pupil", you should know what the faults are going to be, look for them.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#7 28-05-09 13:33:20

bezzaboy1978
Verified Member

brilliant write up and well done for your pass. Lots can be learnt by PDI's such as myself from reading these write up's so much appreciated.  big_smile

Board footer