You are not logged in.

#1 30-04-09 19:04:45

lele
Verified Member
Website

Part 3 pass first time

I can't believe I did it today I am so happy.

Well heres my write up.

Arrive at test centre 30 minutes early so park round the corner and wait for what seemed an eternity, as test time approach I decide to park up in car park and go in.

Sitting in waiting room, and sit there thinking omg this is it no running out now, then out come the examiner and calls my name, he gives me the declaration to sign and I look at the PST, and think oh no PST 10.

As we are walking up to the car he confirms I have seen the PST, and tells me to get into the passenger seat.

I get in and he gives me the word picture:

Had a couple of lessons with instructor who is on holiday for the next couple of weeks, and he was due to go over adequate clearance, crossing traffic and anticipation.  he has done a few right turns with other instructor, but no adequate clearance or anticipation.

So I am now thinking to myself does that mean full talk through on right turns or prompting.

I ask about judging gap on turning right, and he gives me the correct answer walk across etc, so double check walking speed, and he says normal pace, we talk about adequate clearance of parked vehicles, following distance, room for cyclists etc etc etc.

The brief was just that very brief.

And off we go, first right turn we come to he is just about to pull across in front of a car, stop him with very firm "WAIT"  and he does, when we get into road pull him over, ask whether he would of walked across there, and he agreed he would of had to run, but thought he could just drive really quick, told him that he wouldn't of given himself enough time to look into new road, there were parked cars by junction and there is no way that driving into the new road at warp force 10 wouldn't give time to look. Gained agreement and tell him we will look at the next right turn. Off we go again come to parked cars talk through mirror checks, and distance from car but he has difficulty judging, so get him into correct position and pull him over by parked car, and show him we can open door so if parked car did we wouldn't have to swerve to avoid, give him reference point with tyres.  Come to right turn again and tell him to tell me when he is thinking about going, waits the for the correct space and off we go.  I forgot to ask him at the next right turn and he went to cut  across again, tell him WAIT again, the pull over and talk about the position we were in across the line as he had started to go, and the effects on oncoming traffic etc etc. As we are driving around there is no real traffic but a cycle sign and lane appears aha no cyclists but lets talk about it any way, explain outer edge of cycle line becomes kerb, and get him to position better, talk about the effects on poor cyclist with door mirrors whizzing past their ears. Also talk about if there was a car stopped ahead, how much room would we leave. He asks me to pull him over, and tells me thats the end of phase 1

Phase 2 I am told is a full license holder, and that I can take L signs off.

Gives me word picture for FLH had been driving abroad for 5 years and is having refresher lessons in UK for Progress, Hesitancy and normal road position

Q&A on where they drove whether Left or Right, judging how to judge the whether its safe to do speed limit etc. Tells me they drive fast abroad and they are crazy. So I assumed he was going to be the same.

Off we go, first fault normal road position try and get him to use mirrors to judge doesn't work, so try looking further down the road, when that was intermittantly working was going to pull him over to get a reference point (more about that later) and the posisioning corrected itself.  next fault was stopping at roundabouts asked about open junctions and roundabouts being the same, and that I would help on next one, talked through to keep car moving, prompted on next, then sorted, next junctions leaving in 3rd gear and not being ready to pull away, sorted , the last fault left me scratching my head a bit though, he was driving at 20mph in a 30mph road was clear and was safe to do speed limit, asked if he knew the speed limit got the correct answer, asked whether he thought it was safe to do the speed limit he agreed it was then said but im doing 31, i looked again no I am not seeing things thats definately just over 20, I thought maybe he had difficulty with numbers, and everytime I tried to get him to make some progression explained about forcing traffic to unneccessarily overtake, he didnt want to go any faster, after what seemd an eternity it dawned on me he was looking at the kilometers per hour, hurrah finnaly explained that we use the big white numbers on the speedo, finally sorted. he then said so do I have to do the speed limit all the time, so explained about road conditions etc and being able to stop within the distance seen to be clear. Back at test centre end of test.

Debrief was really good, and got some great tips, he explained i could of given him reference point on the move. Examiner was great and worked really hard to help put me at ease.

result 5/4

30-04-09 19:04:45

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 3 pass first time

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 30-04-09 20:22:07

binty1968
Verified Member
Website

Great result....great write up! Very well done!
all that hard work has paid off....enjoy  big_smile

#3 30-04-09 20:48:06

The Saint
Verified Member

Congratulations and a really good write up for others who have their test date approaching. Sounds like you kept a clear head which is so important.

All the knowledge and preparation in the world becomes useless if you can't get your point across!

Well done.

Did you think you didn't have to choose it?
That I alone could win or lose it?
In all the places we were hiding love
What was it we were thinking of?

#4 01-05-09 10:09:37

mani
Verified Member

Congratulations, and thanks for the write up.

#5 01-05-09 21:08:02

mattlilley
Verified Member
Website

!!!!!!!! fantastic....well done.

Failed my first attempt 18 March...dont even want to talk about it apart from it was a complete disaster..say no more.

Had my second attempt today and passed with a 5/4. PST 5 Emergency stop/mirrors will do a write up soon but it wont be a good as yours, and phase 2 FLH same as you, looks as though the same faults were put in.

Any way well done to you.

Matt

Part 1. Passed 16/4/08
Part 2. Passed 16/5/08
Part 3. Failed 1st attempt 17/3/09
Part 3. 2nd attempt Passed 01/05/09
1st Check Test Grade 6 31/3/10

#6 01-05-09 21:12:21

The Saint
Verified Member

Well done Matt. Congratulations.

This is turning into a great thread............

Did you think you didn't have to choose it?
That I alone could win or lose it?
In all the places we were hiding love
What was it we were thinking of?

#7 02-05-09 06:32:19

lele
Verified Member
Website

Thats excellent news Mattlilley well done  smile

I was supposed to have my first attempt on the 6th April but had to postpone as important appointment clashed.

Well done again  big_smile

p.s No Kalms in sight lol

#8 02-05-09 16:29:22

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Well done to you both on your part 3 passes!

Great news!

Best wishes

Jlo31

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 07-05-09 13:03:47

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Hi

Congratulations. How long were you on your Pink?

Your reference to this quote

give him reference point with tyres.

Could you explain what you mean as i am unsure what reference point you are talking about.

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

#10 09-05-09 20:40:07

lele
Verified Member
Website

Hi ya Cat8t3

I went on Pink in January on a part time basis.

The reference point I was refering to was the parked cars tyres being in the same reference point as the Kerb (Obviously Dependant on width of the road).

#11 11-05-09 12:39:07

taffyduck
Verified Member

yes same here passed part3 first time and didnt go on a trainee licence. well here goes i got to the test centre early and just browsed through diffrent psts and just kept thinking about the statistics that 1 in 4 people pass first time and the percentage was only 28% but i thought buggar it why cant i be the 1 person in 4 that passes so that give me belief that i can do this.so i go into the test centre or shall i say doctors waiting room lol then the se came out and called my name so up i get up and sign the paper and realised i got pst 3 so off to the car we go and he tells me to jump in the passenger side . then he gets in the car and gives the word picture partly trained but he was helpfull and made me feel relaxed so off we drive to the site i q+a on the way and nailed him with everything ha ha ha so started to brief him on the t i t r and stuck to my lesson plan not missing a thing which made it a bit easier on the faults the se could do a good tip i done was to take photos of the refrence points and show him them that helped big time the faults he threw in was when he was doing his pom routine he put his foot on the brake rather than the gas pedal and also tried catching me out by selecting first gear instead of reverse but done fault, analys and remedial an happy days i got a grade 6 for that wheeyyy                          so he then tells me thats phase 1 over so a big sigh of relief was given so take off seat belt ready for phase 2 turning left/right from major to minor this one i found a bit hard as everything goes faster including the se as he was a really good driver as expected lol word pic was he was test ready but wants brushing up on the subject so after we went through the intro, cockpit drill, then recap he says shall we go then so off we went first turn was a left one so watched him like a hawk he done mspsl perfect so i thought hey up what his he going to throw in hold and behold the next turn was a right turn again mirrors checked correct signal but position was over to the left so i told him he needed to be just to the  left of centre line he went over and then made the turn told him about the refrence point of the white line in the new rd and he done a nice turn so done alot more left/right turns and headed back to test centre and just around the corner from the test centre we approached a junction to emerge right and a car flashed his lights to give way to us the se waved at him and said thanks so i said that was poor driving which he replied why so i said he should have 2 hands on the wheel so we get back to the test centre and done the summary and then the dreaded part where the se says im going in the office to do my report do u want to wait as i be about 10 mins i thought oh no i failed so i said ok i will wait he says jump in the drivers seat i wont be long he then came back and said congratulations you have passed i thought yyyyyyeeeeessssssss!!!!!!!!  he said ive gave u a grade 5 for phase 2 and the reason why its a 5 and not a 6 is remember when we done right turns my position was to the left well u done well to fault find and tell me my correct position but you didnt give me a reference point aahhhhhh gutted i thought what a silly mistake but im happy with a grade 5 and he gave me good advice and said that because he was in full control of the car let ur pupil give acknowledgement when need to as u are training them a skill for life and train them to be the courteous driver so my advice is be positive treat the se as a human and a pupil be confident and know your subject and the more you can close the door on him by sticking to your lesson plans and have good q + a all the best everyone

#12 28-05-09 13:21:22

bezzaboy1978
Verified Member

A massive well done guys!!  big_smile

Board footer