You are not logged in.

#1 29-08-04 01:08:02

jonks

Ford Fiesta

Do you use a Ford Fiesta? 

If so, tell us what you think about the car...

Pro's and cons of using the car for instruction.

What madel do you use? (Eg. 1.4 Diesel)

How much does it cost to run?

29-08-04 01:08:02

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Ford Fiesta

#2 29-08-04 07:46:27

Midge
Website

I use the Ford Fiesta Diesel now.    For over 17 years I used mainly Nissan Micra's but the last one wasn't up to the  standard I require,  so I bought a Ford Fiesta 1.25.  This wasn't bad,  but after 2 years I thought it was time I went diesel.  The 1.4 is fantastically economic. Seems to do nearly twice the mileage that the petrol cars did.  A little bigger than the previous car.   It is very easy to stall though,  even for an experienced driver,  but my pupils love it.  It is comfortable,  pedals easy to reach for the very smallest and the larger people,  with adjustable height seat and steering wheel.
I can't see the time from the passenger seat, but everything else is visible, I think.  I live in a very hilly area, and the fiesta copes very well with the steepest.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 05-09-04 23:28:31

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:45 pm   Member - AliceM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just replaced my Ford Fiesta with a new model Ford Fiesta 1.4 petrol Flame after looking at various alternatives.

Pro 
Good deal from Ford for SOM car (aim for £1500 off even though offer is £1000)
Roomy in 5 door version (good for teenage kids + friends in the back)
Adjustable steering wheel and seat rake/height but it doesn't seem to go as far forward as my last Fiesta which coped with one pupil about 4' 10" with very short legs.
Very easy clutch (but see cons)
Comfortable in drivers and passengers seat
Very positive comments from pupils
Better mpg than old model Ford Fiesta 1.25!

Con 
Clutch is so soft that over revving while slipping the clutch (practising reversing uphill...) makes a horrible stink. I asked the dealer's mechanic about this smell and he said that Ford have made the Fiesta and the Focus the same. He quoted one elderly gentleman who drove all the time with his foot on the clutch as having worn out THREE clutches within 3000 miles. I am watching my pupils like a hawk as you can imagine. Has anyone else noticed this smell?
Gears very positive - but pupils can still have trouble getting into reverse.
Back window much smaller than on old Fiesta. Pupils have to use quarter light / wing mirrors to reverse
Boring choice of colours (I ended up with black)

General verdict: A very nice car to drive / learn in - watch out for the soft clutch.
www.alices.org.uk

#4 05-09-04 23:30:18

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:18 pm    Member -   jgarbutt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi I've been using my Fiesta for just over a year, and I think it's a great little car:

Likes: Great handling, easy to drive, heated windscreen (fab on icy mornings), reliable, good build-quality, adjustable intermitent wipers, CD with large easy controls, power-steering, electric adjustable mirrors, adjustable seat-height and steering wheel height, lots of storage space, comfy, 3 rear seats, lots of front seat legroom.

Dislikes: Some visibility issues, no syncromesh on reverse gear, can't see the clock from passenger seat, bland-styling, no measure on screen-wash bottle.

In short, it doesn't look very exciting, but does everything well. Once they get behind the wheel my pupils love it.

#5 16-09-04 21:31:14

jgarbutt
Verified Member
Website

UPDATE - I'm in trouble with one of my pupil's parents - they bought her a car but she doesn't want it because its not as good as my Fiesta!

Jason Garbutt
DSA Approved Driving Instructor
GDlogom.gif
[color=blue]      Driving lessons throughout Sussex
Tel. 01403 251662 - www.GreatDriver.co.uk

#6 15-01-08 20:25:52

GrahamADI
Verified Member

I have had my Fiesta for a week now, so thought I'd share my opinions.

Picked up a new Fiesta Zetec S TDCi last Monday to replace my BSM issued Corsa diesel (this review will be more of a comparison rather than a stand alone review, mainly because I'm not a Top Gear presenter!), and for an opening statement, it's a much better car.

From the drivers point of view, the car is alot more responsive, as you would expect for the larger engine (1.6 compared to 1.3), and steering feels more accurate. Under/oversteering is non existent. I always found the Corsa to understeer at junctions, but not the Fiesta. Despite having sportier suspension, the ride is surprisingly comfy.. Yes, speedbumps are more noticable as are general bumps, but I was pleasantly surprised with the ride comfort. Inside the car, I opted for standard spec, but that still got me A/C, part leather, semi bucket seats, leather steering wheel, etc. Unfortunately I didn't get electric mirrors or that fancy heated windscreen (they're an optional extra). It also came with 16" alloys, front fogs, bit of a body kit (including OTT spoiler), and 3 doors only.

Onto the instruction side now. Door mirrors are a bit on the small side. This is not a problem when driving but I'm used to being able to see a bit or road from my seat in the corsa, but alas, all I can see is side of car. I think the addition of a bulls eye mirror might even take up too much space. Think I'll just have to suffer. Dashboard is easily viewed, as are pedals. Comfort is as drivers seat. No problems whatsoever. I actually find the manual mirrors better than the electric ones here. With electric mirrors, I found pupils spent ages fiddling with them getting them just right. Now, after a few seconds they're done. Even with reversing, a pet hate of mine is when pupils from other instructors (even mine when they think I'm not looking!) move the mirrors down (yes I know that's absolutely fine on test, it's just one of those things I personally hate. Now they can't! Ha!

Pupils love the car. They say it's is easier to drive, and I have to agree. Gearing feels more definate. The brakes don't bite as soon as you look at them. It turns where you want it to turn, when you want it to turn. And it has proper indicators, not these rubbish self centering things Vauxhall have got now. Combined mpg is sitting just under 50.

The styling may not be to everyone's taste, but the way I see it is; think of your market and what they like...

#7 16-01-08 16:39:38

Blew
Verified Member

I have the same model as you Graham and agree with your thoughts, great car to drive and teach in, the steering is the correct weight which makes it a joy to steer unlike some of these city steering weighted cars which feels way to light, watch your front tyres though !! mine ate the front set after only 10'000 miles yikes all that torque has to go somewhere  big_smile

Blew.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 17-01-08 10:38:25

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

...I think the addition of a bulls eye mirror might even take up too much space. Think I'll just have to suffer...

You shouldn't have to suffer Graham, I use Israeli made mirrors that sit on top of the wing mirror, they are much larger than bullseyes and don't distort as much, they are adjustable, and of course they don't cover up any of the valuable space on the original mirrors.

I know there was a thread about this last year where UK instructors are using a similar accessory mirror, perhaps they can help.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#9 02-02-08 21:32:40

davidjw

After trying out alot of differant cars I have gone for a 5 door fiesta ghia 1.4 petrol , visibility is good it is really smooth and responsive the smaller engined car is gutless and the spec has a few toys to keep the young boys amused it is only a few weeks old so not got any mpg figures but on a new tight engine it is averaging 37 mpg , i have opted to lease so can change it in 12 months if it works out to be a dog .

David

#10 22-08-08 18:01:58

sgb_sailor
Verified Member

I've had my Fiesta 1.4D Climate for a year now and here's what I think...

PRO'S
* Handles well when cornering
* Very spacious inside the car
* Adjustable steering wheel
* Sharp and effective brakes
* Boot can only be opened with button on either the key or dash
* Very cheap to tax (£35 for the year)
* Gear changes are very easy to get to grips with
* Heated front and rear windscreen a god-send in the winter

CON'S
* Clutch is way too sensitive and precise. The biting point is tiny and unless you're perfect it will punish you
* About a 1.5 second delay between pushing the gas from gear 2 and above to the car picking up noticeable speed
* In-car radio is awful. When changing radio stations for example it will sometimes store the currently tuned station into that memory slot when all you did was push the button to change it. On other occasions when you want to skip a cd track it fast-forwards a few seconds rather than moving on. Not just my radio as it happened in my previous Fiesta as well. Very poor performance.
* No way of telling how much water you have left in the washer reservoir.
* Sometimes very difficult to get it into reverse. You have to raise clutch to biting point, put it back down, then find reverse again. Very annoying.
* Irritating twisty petrol cap mechanism as standard - not fun on cold days!
* The gap between the front window and the dash is not designed well - if you place a parking display ticket there and it slides between, you'll never get at it again. It's stuck there forever.

#11 23-08-08 10:24:28

bobbycat
Verified Member

Would be very interested in reviews of the new Fiesta when they come out later on in the year.

#12 04-09-08 19:00:51

Scattyem
Verified Member

Both of the two fiesta's i've had/ have got have developed an annoying rattling noise above wheel arch area on driver side rear wheel.

My local ford can't find a fault, anyone else found out what this noise is as most fiesta owners i have spoken to have the same problem.

Love the 1.6 zetec climate. Much nicer than the 1.4 version gives other drivers a bit of a surprise when you get your learner to floor it!!!!.  Like sgb says, I too sometimes have a delay in gas to speed especially when moving out of a junction, doesn't always do it though! biting point is prefect for me, mid way. but the clutch smells very quickly when doing some hill starts (me driving). Maybe ask garage to look at that one!

Again both fiesta's have had to have replacements gear lever things as the silver plasticy bit comes off!!

Gremlin Driver training. The empire starts...........

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 05-09-08 07:44:43

keefidee
Verified Member
Website

Scattyem wrote:

'Both of the two fiesta's i've had/ have got have developed an annoying rattling noise above wheel arch area on driver side rear wheel.

My local ford can't find a fault, anyone else found out what this noise is as most fiesta owners i have spoken to have the same problem.'

Hi Scattyem,

I have also encountered this problem, the nearest cause I have found is the loosening of the sound absorbing panel which could cause a rattle.

Keith

#14 13-11-08 23:16:40

William Ingram
Verified Member
Website

Warning to all Fiesta owner, I am one. Good car and I'll have another one so no problem there. However, the manufacters handbook states that the timing chain should be changed after 100,000 miles. OK many of us will change at 60,000. But the Haynes manuel states that if you do a lot of short journey and stop start alot then the timing chain should be change. Be aware that if the timing chain is changed that your engine type is noted by the manufactor of the chain. If your engine is not listed then there is an unpublished setting on the timing machanics that must be carry out. This is also discovered if you experience lack of power at low revs.

C&G PTILL 7303
NCFE Accountancy and BookKeeping
IAM Instructor
Present L3 BTEC Certificate in Life Coaching

#15 14-11-08 12:56:16

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

I don't think that we are counted as making short jouneys.  Although we do a lot of stop start driving.  The engine is warm all day.  It's the driving, with a cold engine that does the damage.

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

#16 10-05-09 09:21:14

TDW

Hi there, I am new to the forums after passing my Part 3 (first time attempt) and I am thinking of going down the buying route instead of leasing (Robinsons = Expensive).

I have read that some of you own the Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S...!!! How does that shape up in the Insurance groups and what sort of costs are incurred for having a larger, sportier engine in that little car?

I currently have the last model Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Style + and it cost about £40p/m to insure through CA Mackie.

Anyone give me any prices on how much you guys with the 1.6 Diesel engines pay insurance wise?

Thanks,

TDW

Things fall to pieces so that other things can fall into place.

#17 10-05-09 10:02:50

KevB
Verified Member
Website

That would depend on your NCB.

Although leasing may appear to be more expensive at the outset compared to buying, you should take into account interest payments on any loans, servicing and repair costs, replacement vehicle or down time whilst your vehicle is off road as well as depreciation losses.

Calculate your anticipated actual costs and losses over the period you intend to keep the car and then compare that to the lease costs for the same period.

Statistically, if you were to keep your driving school car for 3 years, it will need 8 services, 5 tyres, as well as be involved in 4-6 accidents, plus 2 breakdown incidents. It's residual value will also probably be approx 1/2 the purchase price if in good condition.

#18 11-05-09 18:15:44

hector
Verified Member
Website

First of all dont worry re insurance, my current vehicle (Group 12) 140 bhp insured for £337. As long as you have the no claims. PM for insurer as they are very reasonable. Finally got away from the horrendous customer service of Waveney!

40 quid a month sounds expensive, but depends on no claims history. Think of clever ways to finance dont go down the standard route there are better ways, 4 year lease purchase and sort your own finance. 6.9% and discounted car is the way to go, lease purchase is a cheap way to finance.

And why not get a proper car  big_smile

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#19 17-05-09 17:23:08

kevg

First of all dont worry re insurance, my current vehicle (Group 12) 140 bhp insured for £337. As long as you have the no claims. PM for insurer as they are very reasonable. Finally got away from the horrendous customer service of Waveney!

40 quid a month sounds expensive, but depends on no claims history. Think of clever ways to finance dont go down the standard route there are better ways, 4 year lease purchase and sort your own finance. 6.9% and discounted car is the way to go, lease purchase is a cheap way to finance.

And why not get a proper car  big_smile

#20 22-05-09 18:49:27

Bashy

Hi all,

thought I'd let you all know, Ibought a brand new Fiesta 1.6 tdci Zetec 5 door yesterday.
£14,225 RRP. Got a great deal online. Including Autoglym and GAP insurance for 3 years (an extra £650 for both) the total price was £9,825. That's a saving of £5,000 withought the autoglym and GAP.
Admittedly £2,000 was the scrappage, but still, the discount was amazing and from a proper ford main dealer too.
Not sure whether I can mention the site, so I won't.

Really looking forward to delivery sometime in July.

Danny

#21 22-05-09 19:18:22

driver69

Sounds like a good deal, I am sure there is no problem with letting us all know what the site is as it would be of interest to many. Probably as long as you don`t own the site and mention the name 20+ times in the post I think it should not be seen as advertising  big_smile

#22 22-05-09 20:20:24

Bashy

no worries...autoebid.com

cheers

#23 22-05-09 21:49:32

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi Bashy
Glad you are happy with your new car.
Just a word of caution about the gap insurance;when i bought a new Yaris and paid for gap ins.it only covered if i was driving,not a pupil;check it out.Didn't find out until they wouldn't pay out on the difference when my pupil wrecked the car on his test.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#24 23-05-09 07:28:45

hector
Verified Member
Website

Gap insurance 650 quid !!!! Autoglym 650 quid!!!

127 with Watkin Davies from Cardiff for 4 Years, including pupil cover for the gap  yikes yikes

I would never have finance or gap insurance etc form a dealer, they load 500% on top for themselves. The autoglym kit is 65 quid and takes half an hour to apply

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#25 23-05-09 11:21:47

Disky
Verified Member
Website

The autoglym kit is 65 quid and takes half an hour to apply

good advice there. I know it's easier having it done at source, but half an hour isn't too much to wait.

Can it be done by any valeting company hector ?

Board footer