You are not logged in.

#1 18-05-09 09:31:57

Heading4afall

ARghhhh! HPT!

Urghh I just can't get above 70% on my AA practise HPT test. My trainer has said that is harder than the DSA one but I should still be able to pass it. I've read all the other advice on here about repeat clicking but it's just not working for me. Should I buy a different DVD to try or any other advice? :oops:

I consistently get 98% for my Theory so this is really getting me down.

Sent CRB off 27.4.09
Started AA training 1.5.09
CRB returned 2.6.09
Applied to join register 10.6.09

18-05-09 09:31:57

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: ARghhhh! HPT!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 18-05-09 20:41:53

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

#3 18-05-09 22:00:54

Heading4afall

Thanks, I think what I find frustrating about the AA DVDrom is that it doesn't allow you to review where you are going wrong after a mock test and the video clips are awful quality. Still I would like to be getting much better scores before booking a test! I've ordered LDC's DVDrom as it looks to cover everything I'm missing... let's hope that helps :oops: When I did the LDC online freebie mock test I scored 4 or 5 on most but got Zero on 3 clips because I clicked too early... So it loooks like I'll be trying the triple click thing.

Practise, practise, practise.

Sent CRB off 27.4.09
CRB returned 2.6.09

#4 19-05-09 06:54:01

Heading4afall

I thought that might get your attention wink

Yeah I am disappointed with the AA software on the HPT. You only have the 10 DSA clips to practise with (these show where you have clicked and the 5,4,3,2,1 window afterwards) and then the mock exams which have clips by the AA which are shot inside the car and are really low resolution. It's really difficult to see if a car is indicating for example. I think there must only be about 40 clips as well because I pretty much know them all already. And still only getting 65%!!

I'm beginning to realise that there is a formula ie country roads = certain hazard, motorway = certain hazard, residential = certain hazard etc etc. To start with you just dont know what's gonna happen! I struggle most with Town Centre still I think as there is so much to look out for.

Sent CRB off 27.4.09
CRB returned 2.6.09

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 19-05-09 13:15:51

Heading4afall

Heading4afall wrote:

I'm beginning to realise that there is a formula ie country roads = certain hazard, motorway = certain hazard, residential = certain hazard etc etc. To start with you just dont know what's gonna happen! I struggle most with Town Centre still I think as there is so much to look out for.

This is true on the road too so it is good training to get you thinkng about the types of hazard you are likely to find on different types of road. You then start t look out for the likely hazards and that mean you are more likely to see them earlier.

True, but for me this is more about knowing what they are going to throw at you and whether it's going to be predictible or not... I guess the more I practise the more I realise it is, which is a relief. The most frustrating thing for me is that a small video can't possible replicate the kind of experience you have when actually driving.

Sent CRB off 27.4.09
CRB returned 2.6.09

#6 19-05-09 20:15:40

jay666
Website

I would say the focus dvd is probably the best to practise with. Very clear and allows you to review clips and shows where you have clicked and where the scoring windows are.

Jay

#7 19-05-09 20:46:31

Heading4afall

Thanks Jay666. I've ordered the LDC one now but I was considering the Focus one... Can anyone tell me if they found the actual test easier (because the footage was larger and clearer) or not? :?

Sent CRB off 27.4.09
CRB returned 2.6.09

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 19-05-09 21:22:53

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Thanks Jay666. I've ordered the LDC one now but I was considering the Focus one... Can anyone tell me if they found the actual test easier (because the footage was larger and clearer) or not? :?

Firstly I found the focus CD excellent but can't comment on the LDC ones although Snaxmuppet used them and passed first time. Yes the test centre clips are very clear but I thought were much slower than the Focus DVD clips, however I got a lower score in the actual test of 62 than when on the focus DVDs I was getting between 67 and 72 on average.

I am sure you will find the LDC disks helpful and get you through part 1.

Best wishes

Jlo31

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

#9 20-05-09 08:41:55

jay666
Website

Yeh thats the only problem with the focus dvd you must make sure you are getting constant high scores so you get enough during the real thing.

#10 20-05-09 14:19:42

Heading4afall

I just got 81% on the AA HPT mock, looks like the practise is paying off... that or I know all the clips inside out now!

Sent CRB off 27.4.09
CRB returned 2.6.09

#11 27-05-09 15:07:29

Woodyloon
Verified Member

I'm also struggling with the quality of the AA Pass Your Test twin CD Roms, not sure if it is my computer or the discs. When for example I'm looking say at the practical disc and there is commentary is is a bit stop and start, you can still understand what is being said just, sounds a bit like Freddie Starr on a microphone.Also on the HPT disc it doesn,t seem to be smooth when playing. I have tried to update my Direct x but not much better if any. Does anyone have any experience of this CD ROM or any thought with reference to computer performance?

John

Part 1   30/10/09   100/67
Part 2   29/9/10     2 d/f

#12 18-06-09 12:54:36

The_Ree

Yeh thats the only problem with the focus dvd you must make sure you are getting constant high scores so you get enough during the real thing.

My first post...
That would suggest to me the scoring window opens earlier when doing the real thing than on the Focus one - this may not be a bad thing as i've often scored 0 on a clip and when reviewing, i've clicked a fraction of a second before the scoring window opens.

I now use the 3 clicks on the focus HPT and am constantly in the 62 - 67 band, with the odd low 70 score.

Board footer