You are not logged in.

#1 29-08-04 01:32:13

jonks

Renault Megane

Do you use a Renault Megane?

If so, tell us what you think about the car...

Pro's and cons of using the car for instruction.

What model do you use? (Eg. 1.4 Diesel)

How much does it cost to run?

29-08-04 01:32:13

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Renault Megane

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 17-05-09 19:16:33

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

I have a Renault Megane courtesy car after a looney scratched my car 2 weeks ago - long story, but his insurance is paying, so......

It is a 2008 5door 1.5dci 86 Dymanique.  It is a champagne "sick" colour.

Welcome to the starship enterprise!  To start with the megane has a stupid "key" which is a card.  What is wrong with a key? It only starts when you press the brake, and you need the engine ON to adjust the electric mirrors!  It also takes a few seconds to actually turn on too!

The steering is super light, small and nice to hold, so it is great for manoevres, however although it gets heaver with speed, it has absolutely 0% feedback, if you were on a bumpy surface, or a tyre had gone you wouldn't have a clue from the steering.  It also makes a horrenous noise, and feels very delicate - could break at any time!  Finally steering wise it has a strange self centring action especially at speed, it really feels like a space ship!

Carrying on with the star trek style the handbrake is an unusual design, which although works ok, takes students a little getting use to - but why? 

The "lightspeed" engine is the best bit really.  Although no powerhouse at 85bhp in terms of acceleration it does get up to speed well, is really very economical (I got 65+mpg driving fairly economically over differing types of road, and at least 45mpg whilst teaching with manoevres which is excellent really).  It is very quiet, and although you can tell its a diesel impressively refined. 
The engine also is great for engine braking, but is very much like a petrol to drive which caused a few issues with students who were used to a larger diesel engine; stalling without a reasonable amount of accelerator set.

The rear is a feature - large backside, "shake your backside!"  Although this gives a good size boot, whilst raining you get soaked whilst loading/unloading, and is difficult for students to gauge the length of the car.  The rear window is very small with a virtually useless rear wiper, where the spray takes about 3 secs holding on before it works!

The interior is comfortable, the seats are supportive, it is a great size for a tuition car inside, but its all very low rent.  The indicator stalk feels flimsy, as do the electric window switches, and air con controls.

Overall this is an economical mid sized car for tution.  In terms of teaching though - do you really want to be teaching in a space ship, or a car?

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#3 17-05-09 21:08:31

The Saint
Verified Member

It's always interesting to read other people's view of a car you know well...

I have a 2008 Megane 1.5 dCi 106 Dynamique. It's the second one I've had for teaching and found them both to be superb.

The card used in place of a key is far from being 'stupid' in my opinion. It stays in my pocket all the time and does not need to be placed into its slot at all. The car can only be started when the car 'senses' that the card is inside the car. It also enables you to lock the car (and close sunroof and windows) with just a press of the door handle. It will also unlock the car when you touch the door handle when you return. No more fumbling in the pockets in the pouring rain to find the key fob! Most cars will have the feature soon; the humble key is dead!

It's NOT the case that it will only start when you press the brake pedal, it will also start when you press the clutch pedal. That, in my opinion, is a great feature as I normally do that when starting any car and I also teach pupils to do the same. There is a problem with car if it will only adjust mirrors when the engine is running. Mine does it at anytime.

The steering is indeed light and precise, ideal for teaching. Not sure about the comment regarding the feedback. If I was on a bumpy surface, I don't think I would want that fed back to the wheel, and I'm pretty sure I'd know if a tyre had gone regardless of the type of power steering used. Again, there is a problem with the car if you have a horrendous noise. It certainly doesn't feel in the least bit delicate or likely to break. The self centering is not something I'm aware of, but I did not like the Clio for the very fact that it did NOT self centre. It felt very strange.

The handbrake is the 'aircraft' style and no pupil has found it a problem when changing from another car. New drivers have absolutely no problem as that's the only one they know!  Why is it that design? So that you can have a large storage pocket between the seats. I notice that the new Megane has returned to a conventional lever.

The engine is brilliant and although mine is the 106 version with 6 gears I would imagine it has similar characteristics.  I certainly don't have to have a 'reasonable' amount' of gas to pull away and neither do my pupils. It will pull away on a reasonably steep hill without using the accelerator. Another fault with your particular car I would guess.

I took mine down to the south of France a couple of years ago and it returned 65 mpg. It's always around 45-50 with learners.

The rear window is an appropriate size for the car and the wiper works fine and is certainly not 'virtually useless'. The washers do indeed take a few seconds to operate.

The 'low rent' comment really suprises me as I feel it's of a much higher standard than similarly priced cars. It usually gets 'high build quality' comments from reviewers. All the controls feel solid with no hint of 'impending doom' when used.

And as for my preference to driving good quality cars over a space ship, I can't really answer that one. I have driven literally thousands of cars since I passed my test, but I'm still waiting for that elusive alien to drop by with his chariot.

All in my humble opinion of course......

Did you think you didn't have to choose it?
That I alone could win or lose it?
In all the places we were hiding love
What was it we were thinking of?

#4 18-05-09 19:43:03

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Perhaps try a VW group car, then get back into the renault?  You may think differently! LOL

Watch out for aliens.....a real hazard on the road!

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg

#5 18-05-09 21:00:54

The Saint
Verified Member

I've looked closely at the Polo and the Golf.

The Megane knocks spots off both! The build quality is comparable but the price and spec puts it way out front. I'm not for one minute saying the VW's are bad cars, they're not.

But if you put some gaffer tape over the badges I'm sure a lot of people would take a more objective approach.

The average alien we get round here would never pass their test if they took it now.

Their lane changing and speed awareness is appalling.....

Did you think you didn't have to choose it?
That I alone could win or lose it?
In all the places we were hiding love
What was it we were thinking of?

#6 18-05-09 21:27:48

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Not so sure on the quality. Check out Renault on satisfaction survey against skoda, vw and seat!

No comparison!

Fleet Training

Board footer