You are not logged in.

#1 24-04-09 10:19:30

mrbrightside
Verified Member

Petrol receipts

Just a quick query.

Whenever I buy fuel I pay on my Bussiness account debit card. I get the normal receipt and also ask for a VAT receipt.

Of course the normal receipt states on the bottom that "THIS IS NOT A VAT RECEIPT"

Do I need to keep both copies for my records or just the actual VAT receipt?

Thanks

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

24-04-09 10:19:30

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Petrol receipts

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 24-04-09 13:58:02

KevB
Verified Member
Website

vat receipt.

#3 24-04-09 18:04:09

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

The one that says "this is not a vat receipt" is your card receipt.

I keep these separate and check them against the statement when it comes.
If all is ok, I staple them together. If not, straight on the phone to the card company.

#4 24-04-09 19:12:56

mrbrightside
Verified Member

But the card receipts aren't neccessary for tax returns?

#5 24-04-09 21:57:06

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

#6 24-04-09 21:59:16

mrbrightside
Verified Member

thanks

#7 24-04-09 23:45:56

adi3122

You are very trusting to pay by card for anything the amount of fraud cases we all here i would never pay by card for anything for the fear my identity might be stolen and i will end up in debt because someone else used my details. and took all my money.

#8 25-04-09 08:06:15

mrbrightside
Verified Member

That's a bit cynical isn't it?

#9 25-04-09 15:26:02

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

I think most buisiness customers want vat reciepts (the vat is shown ) because they can claim the vat back. In our industry,most of us don't turn over enough to pass the vat threshold. We do want the amount and the cost of fuel shown. I think that "VAT reciept" has become a name for the one we want.

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

#10 25-04-09 15:49:22

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

VAT registered or not, if HMRC inspect your accounts, they will discard any non VAT receipts.
Card receipts are more for personal use, vat receipts for business.

As for safety/fraudulent use, you get your money back from a credit card company, hence the need for card receipts to be checked against statements.

#11 25-04-09 20:56:08

kaf
Verified Member
Website

The card reciept will only show the total spend, the 'VAT' reciept will show the breakdown ie how much of the total spend was fuel.

This is what HMRC need to see otherwise you could be buying anything at the garage and claiming it was fuel.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 25-04-09 20:57:42

kaf
Verified Member
Website

we all here i would never pay by card for anything for the fear my identity might be stolen and i will end up in debt because someone else used my details. and took all my money.

Who is 'we all here'?

#13 25-04-09 21:06:37

adi3122

Sorry for the spelling mistake it was meant to say {we all hear} of identity theft and fraud.

#14 26-04-09 09:41:24

Disky
Verified Member
Website

i was told on the IR course, that VAT receipts were only required If you were vat registered, and that even a bank or card statement showing payment would suffice. I keep all receipts, some are not VAT, but have never been pulled up for it.

I would think that most instructors just keep "RECEIPTS" to show money spent, whether that be via cash or card. Never heard of anyone going into tesco to buy a ream of paper and asking for a vat receipt.

I'm going to call them on monday to see if i need to change what I do personally.

Good thread smile

#15 13-05-09 09:00:23

m6northtoheaven
Verified Member

I agree with you Disky, you only need a VAT receipt if you are VAT registered and earning enough to claim it back. A normal receipt that shows how much you spent would suffice.
I only keep the card receipt, as I don't earn enough to be VAT registered and won't be for a while yet!

The inclanation of the optic is as adequate as a twitch of the cranium like a quadraped divoid of its visionary capacity!

#16 16-05-09 13:56:53

kaf
Verified Member
Website

If you only keep the card reciept, how would you prove the expenditure was for petrol?

Most are not itemised, the only reason I ask for a 'VAT' reciept is because it itemises exactly what was purchased, most card reciepts just give a total.

#17 16-05-09 23:24:14

Disky
Verified Member
Website

hmmmmm,,, never thought of it tha way, but i checked mine and it always states pump, fuel type etc but it states that "this is not a vat receipt", is this a TILL receipt ?

This receipt thing is a can of worms, so many ways to do it, i dont think i'll ever get it right LOL

#18 17-05-09 00:20:05

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

I have receipts that have fuel, mars bars, juice and toiletries wink on them, you do not need VAT receipts unless VAT registered, most of the time the garage will ask if I want a sep receipt for fuel, I done this for a year, then my wife fuelled up(yep, once a year) she didn't ask for sep receipt, and ended up with a weeks shopping on it :evil: but the fuel was separate, so NO need for a sep receipt altogether.

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#19 13-07-09 08:17:40

ALPECH
Verified Member

Hello all'

I just try to keep things simple by purchasing all fuel on Tesco fuel card and then recieve a monthly statement. All amounts spent are shown clearly and you never forget to ask for a reciept!  Also the added bonus of Tesco points comes with that automatically which i use for days out for the family.

Regards

Board footer