You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 13-05-09 12:58:47

Phil Motum
Verified Member
Website

First Check Test Result

I got my check test letter a few weeks back, could not have come at a worse time to be honest. 
I only instruct part time around my current Full time job. The last couple of weeks I have been doing a few extra shifts to help out in a shortfall of manpower, at the same time my  instructing business has picked up  from 8 hours a week to about 20 hours a week over the last month. I also took a much needed holiday last week. So I have been unable to fit in any extra training to keep me on the right tracks.

Putting that aside, I only had one pupil who could actually turn up at 0830 this morning - my niece.
She had about 15 hours of lessons about 18 months to 2 years ago with a different instructor. Today was the 5 hour with myself.
Although I knew prior to the test that I have weaknesses in areas of my instructing (I qualified  Last May), I was not too worked up by the whole process.

Lovely morning in Ayrshire, Sun and blue skies. Arrived at the Test Centre in Kilmarnock in good time and met the examiner - lovely lady. I introduced my pupil first, before she was politely asked to return to the car and get herself adjusted. After a quick chat about the pupil and lesson I returned to the car and began the lesson.

Recap of previous lesson on Roundabouts and  introduced today's lesson on entering and exiting Dual carriageways. She has had previous experience on dual carriageways but not used slip roads.
I had planned a route that should take about 40 minutes, leaving time to recap at the start and the end of the lesson.
The recaps were areas that I had felt weak on so had put more preparation into this and it seems to have paid off receiving 6's for this. Although I could have better explained my aims and objectives.

General drive was ok and emphasis was put into Slowing down on approach to junctions, something which improved throughout the lesson but still needs a bit of work.
I gave a lot of talkthrough when needed and sometimes when not needed, Failing to give a bit of independence to the pupil.
When I said that I was going to drop  my instruction and let her do it herself I still butted in. I should have informed  her that I was going to drop to just prompts. 
A few faults popped up, including positioning to the left. rubbed the kerb once and ran over the cats eyes a few times. I identified the fault and gave a remedy without proper analysis, hence the fault reoccurring.
The other "Biggie"  was trying to steer and change gear at the same time. Again analysis was weak and I didn't point out any consequences.
So identifying faults I got a 5, but Analysis and Remedial Action both a 4.

We returned to the Test Centre and I gave a full de brief, talking about the faults and the progress made. discussed the areas that we would work on for the next lesson - Positioning and speed on approach.
Overall I felt that the lesson went well, but could have sorted out the Positioning problem better.
The later half of the lesson I felt more relaxed and myself, which was noted. Nerves played a wee part in this. I was also told that if I couldn't stop talking (I'm Irish, give me a break), don't talk through, develop more thought stimulating Q&A. 

As much as I would have liked to get a 5 overall, I'll settle for a 4 and work on my weaknesses. I received a lot of positive feedback, which is great to know that I'm going the right direction and I now know what to develop. I'll be mildly peeved if I don't improve a grade on my next one.

Phil Motum

13-05-09 12:58:47

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: First Check Test Result

#2 13-05-09 13:25:07

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Congrats Phil.
Glad to read such a positive attidude about your perfomance and your planned development.
also pleased to read about the helpful feedback you received from the EX.
We need more SE's like that.

Good luck for the future. smile

#3 14-05-09 07:11:06

Phil Motum
Verified Member
Website

Cheers Kevin

Board footer