You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 26-04-09 20:16:51

Woodyloon
Verified Member

Any advice or feedback

Hi, I have just registered today after finding this website this weekend, very impressed with the content.

Last year I enquired about training to become an ADI, It was the AA that I was drawn to and although I have not committed myself to anything yet, still trying to take the next step. Anyway after a good few months I still feel that I would like to look into this in more depth. Last week I contacted the adviser at the AA again and was updated with the process again. He also arranged for the trainer who would be my coach to call me, which he did even although he was on holiday, very impressed so far, and I had a good chat on the phone. Just feel that speaking to him face to face would be better and was considering asking if it would be possible to meet up for an hour, maybe even a quick assessment, before any committent to paying for any training course.

As far as my expectations I have tried to be as realistic as possible. The first year I was looking at maybe starting off with about 12 hrs per week, for a few weeks and slowly increase to something in the region of 30 hrs by the end of the first year. This would after paying franchise fee's,fuel and pupil introdcution a net wage before tax & ni of about 13k.I then thought that I could average about 30 to 35hrs which would give me 17 to 22k. Before any of that can become a reality there is the training which I fully understand will be tough, especially when you look at the pass rates.I noticed some people say part 1 can done on your own, but I feel that for even just consistency that doing it all with one trainer the best option, as I feel that all the parts interlink with each other. I did look at a link via this site and was very impressed with the article. www.squidoo.com/driving_instructors . Many fresh thoughts and questions to address for myself there.

The fact I have no experience of being self employed is another area which I will need to address and hopefully the AA will have some directive on that subject. Can anyone explain what tie in you have with AA as far the franchise contract, say worst scenario for what ever reason I could not work, what options would I have till I recovered?

If anyone has thoughts or advice it would be most welcome.

Many Thanks

John

Part 1   30/10/09   100/67
Part 2   29/9/10     2 d/f

26-04-09 20:16:51

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Any advice or feedback

#2 26-04-09 23:33:38

Luchell
Verified Member

Hello John and welcome to the forum  smile smile

Have a little look round the forum, especially the driving instructor training board where you will find lots of help and info on many topics. The one thing i will mention as it's reminded me of my 'interview' with the training company i hoped to become part of. There's me thinking it's an interview when actually it was just a but do you have enough money to pay for our training course session  yikes lol Ok not totally literally but what I'm trying to say is at that time i thought 'gosh this is great they want to train me', I didn't know about this forum right at the start of my training but once i found this place thank goodness, i realised that actually i was a walking cheque if you will far more than i realised i was  lol

Wasn't a bad thing as such but I hadn't realised before that point that yep instructor training is also a business some make money out of and not everyone who gets taken on is necessarily cut out for the job but their bank balance had the right total at that point  lol  BIG big topic on it's own as i am sure you are beginning to find out and one that's a little large to expand upon for me this time of night  lol Therefore I am not saying anything more on who does what company wise and who likes walking cheques and who prefers someone with the 'right' attitude and characteristics plus the motivation necessary to make it to the final leg and qualify. There are many reasons why some don't make it which you will see opinions on elsewhere around the forum.

Oops i got sidetracked     roll   lol    Anyhow, I contacted a company as a query to find out what sort of franchise they operate fees wise, area charges etc just to compare ideas for someone who moves from one area to a new one. All i did was ask for info on franchises and no word of a lie i became incredibly frustrated with twice daily calls from a so called salesman leaving messages telling me all about their adi training and how much i would want to buy it  yikes lol  Errrr no!! That wasn't it at all, i also don't appreciate listening to a bloke sounding nothing short of desperate telling me i want their training!! I called back left a few messages and made it clear i wanted nothing to do with it. Funny enough the calls just kept on coming    roll :x

I've only thought to put this up to open your eyes to what goes on at times out here so to speak, if i were at the beginning of my training as a pdi before this forum i would have fallen for such 'gimics' if it can be called that, instead I could hear the desperation oozing from this chap and others from the same company. Once upon a time i was so chuffed i was accepted on my training course rather than now I know they need me to sign up perhaps even more so than I needed and wanted them. Its not a bad thing they need me/us/pdis after all its a business BUT it helps to be empowered on such matters to make sure what you are signing up for suits YOU not only them  wink

Apologies for the waffle its late  lol lol
My main point is coming here opened my eyes in a good way to what was really involved was a massive part in helping me to achieve my dream of becoming an ADI  smile

#3 27-04-09 06:18:43

ExAdiNigel

The AA, at the moment, have two contract tie-ins.  The standard one is an 8 week subsidised franchise fee with 4 weeks notice of termination.  If, however, you have trained with the AA you could be offered a 12 month contract, whereby you are tied in for 12 months, the sweetner is that the franchise fee is reduced for those 12 months to the extent that you recoup almost all of what you spent on training - similar to a deal that LDC offer.

For the moment, forget all about franchises.  Just concentrate on what training course is best for you.  The franchise which is best for you may not be from the same provider.  Get the info pack from some of the main providers (eg AA, LDC, BSM, Instructor College).  Contact the DSA and get their info pack.  Then contact one or two local ADI trainers (use ORDIT registration as a guide).

Once you are approaching qualification then start looking at the franchises and which one appeals.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#4 27-04-09 06:31:10

Woodyloon
Verified Member

Thanks Nigel.

It will be the the 2nd option that was spoken about.

Agree with your last point, that the training is the only thing that needs to be decided just now, and that I can as you pointed gather as much information on other providers whilst in training, and if I survive the course and successfully pass, then I can make a final choice then. Still a long way off.

John

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 27-04-09 09:27:32

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

I did look at a link via this site and was very impressed with the article. www.squidoo.com/driving_instructors . Many fresh thoughts and questions to address for myself there.

Hi John and welcome to the boards  smile

I wrote the article/webpage you mention above and it always gives me a fuzzy glow when I know that it's achieved it's purpose  8-)

I'm so glad you found your way here - you've come to a great place for some excelent advice from people who know what they're talking about.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do  lol

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#6 27-04-09 17:19:26

Woodyloon
Verified Member

Hi Nigel

What is the title of the info pack I should be looking for at the DSA?

Thanks Lou for your reply, as I said it was a great article for myself to read when I am considering my options. It tells people exactly what to expect and also gives people a lot of information to consider before any decisions's are made, it might even save some people money as well. All in all it was really interesting article,think I will read it over a few more times in the future, it has also posed a lot more questions for myself to consider before I put the kids piggy bank savings up for the cost of any training.

At the moment though the decision to spend money on training is one I need to be comfortable with, more so now when you see how many people don't pass the training and then need to decide if they want to start over again, or even just lose interest and before they know it the 2 years is upon them and all the money has been wasted.In saying that I would rather have that option than a crash course were you are guaranteed a pass, think in this profession you need to have shown that you have mastered all the skills that can be developed further when they are qualified ADI's.

#7 27-04-09 18:40:03

ExAdiNigel

ADI Starter pack.  Costs you £5 plus an extra £6 if you want a book containing all the theory questions.

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/d … P129_10371

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#8 01-05-09 11:21:05

Woodyloon
Verified Member

Hi

Thanks to everyone for your post's and messages, really appreciate the time taken out to help with your advice.

Thanks

John

#9 08-05-09 23:25:28

mrbrightside
Verified Member

Welcome John. I was so glad to find this website when I was researching the business. It was from here that I was recommended a trainer who was superb.

Now I did everything pay as you go, much easier for me as it spread costs, didn't leave me in any debt, allowed me to change if I'd have needed too and was just a better option suited for me. I only came to this decision after plenty of RESEARCH! There are advantages and disadvantages to each training route.

(By the way, as Nigel says above, £5 ADI starter pack and £6 theory questions, plus I bought "Driving: The Essential Skills" for less than a tenner and that is all I used to pass my Part 1 on my own.)

Echoing some of the other advice already given.....

Most of the big companies aren't interviewing you, they're trying to sell something to you. So make sure you phone as many of them as possible and find out as much info from all of them. Write down a list of questions (the more the better) and ask each company the same questions; then compare. Check what companies offer you when you qualify, or if you have to work for them for so long if you train with them.

Contact a few local trainers (if you get the ADI starter pack, that should contain a book with all ORDIT registered trainers). You may well save money by going PAY AS YOU GO with a local trainer and you can still join most franchise schemes (like the AA) once you're qualified.

Lastly, have a good read through these forums (not just the most recent stuff). You'll get some good advice.

I too had never been self-employed before I did this. My training only started in 2007 so the process is still relatively fresh to me (qualified last year). So if I can help any more then PM me or just post on the forums and the delighful bunch on here will soon answer your queries!

Martin

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

#10 09-05-09 00:10:46

Woodyloon
Verified Member

Hi Martin

Thanks for your reply, yes I've been trailing through the forum and even been looking back a few pages, lots of interesting items.

I did order the ADI starter pack and theory questions. I have also been browsing online trying to find  theory and hazard preception tests to try out.

I have been drawn to the AA training and I am seriously considering taking the next step, I still have some worries, but I think there is the a time just either step back or move on, and only time will tell if it will work out.

And believe me I have asked many many questions and to be fair it seems to be no trouble  with the adviser I have been talking too.
I have also looked at BSM and to be fair was impressed with LDC. I know at the end of the day these companies are only selling you  a product.
I feel at this moment in time that that overall they fit my objectives, now this might change if I go ahead and learn more about how things work etc, and if I am lucky enough to pass the 3 parts then that knowledge will help me decide my next step. It is amazing how things can change region to region, for example there is probably more options available for people say from Edinburgh heading south and the further south the more options you get as far as the training is concerned. As far as research, I have been looking into this option on and off since June last year, but I have learnt more in the past few days since finding this site.

So Martin what did you decide to after you successfully qualified, did you go on your own or with a franchise? What is your average workload now, and what is your average working week timetable?

Many Thanks

John

#11 09-05-09 00:14:10

Woodyloon
Verified Member

Martin

When people are showing how they got on with the 3 training parts, what does it mean in Part 3, like in yours you have 5/3 then in your second part 3 listing you have 4/4. What does that relate to?

John

#12 09-05-09 00:40:11

mrbrightside
Verified Member

Well I have another part-time job with the NHS, so I have a secured income every month. I do my driving on Thurs & Fri mainly during the daytime. However, I do lessons on Sat and Sun or in the weekday evenings if that's all a particular student is available for. I am with a regional school franchise though, mainly because they can supply me with students as it can be hard finding students on your own when you're newly qualified. I wasn't sure where was best to advertise, designing leaflets, etc etc. being in a franchise means all the advertising is done for me (for a weekly franchise fee of course!)

I only aim for around 10 hours p/wk right now, and that gives me that little bit extra per month to spend on myself! I do intend, over the years to increase my workload, but having a secure job as well as my driving is comforting!

With regards to the Part 3 training. If you read the starter pack, there should be details of how Part 3 is assessed. Put simply, it is in 2 halves, and each half is graded independantly. So that's why there are 2 numbers.

The marking ranges from 1 to 6 (6 being highest). You have to attain a minimum of a 4 on BOTH parts on the SAME test to pass overall.

For example, my first Part 3 exam:
1st half: Grade 5
2nd half: grade 3

One of the numbers was less than 4, so overall it was a fail (even though I "passed" the 1st half). These 2 numbers are now discounted and don't count towards any further attempts. (Basically meaning, although I got a 5 for the 1st half, I will still have to get a 4 or above on my next attempt.)

On my 2nd attempt I got a grade 4 for both halves, so overall it was a pass.

Hope that made sense!!
Martin

Part 1: Passed (11/9/07) 96/100 & 68/75
Part 2: Passed (19/10/07) 3 Minors
Part 3: (2nd) Passed (27/11/08) 4/4
Check Test: Grade 5 (16/03/11)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 11-05-09 23:48:00

Doc
Verified Member
Website

I know at the end of the day these companies are only selling you  a product.

Of course these companies are selling a product, that's the nature of the business but so are the independant trainers. That product is a training course. You have to be satisfied that whoever is selling you their training course, has a structured course that you can easily follow and learn from. Some of the big companies will have had top people involved in the creation of their training course and have a very organised approach to your training. Finding the right trainer is the most important step you can make and that decision should be carefully considered, based on your research.

Board footer