You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 21-03-08 09:35:19

Target
Verified Member
Website

Re: Is my son being taken for a ride (literally !)...

The DSA want to change this to make the ADIs details available plus what grade they are

Too right it should be free and available for everyone to see.

Rarely do I let someone drive home after 2 hours but its has happened with very switched on pupils. Most the time I use it to debrief and discuss the next lesson etc. These are naturals and normally at test standard in around 30 hours tuition. One chap I had passed first time was into 3rd gear and doing the T.I.T.R with me after 2 hours.   Never seen it before, in 4 years.

Basically if they can change from first to 2nd and stop and start I can talk them through anything. Not saying im the best Adi in the world, but I find the sooner you start to beleive in them the sooner they start to take control for themselves.

What better message to send out the the neightbours and family when little Jimmy pulls up outside the house on his first lesson. even better if its a birthday.

Please no comments about wrapping the car around a bush. Safety is always important, an experienced driver could still make the same mistake.

We all do things differently, its those first 1-10 hours where we can lose pupils so make the experience as fun as possible. As instructors we know the first 10 hours is all about control and possibly the hardest part.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

21-03-08 09:35:19

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 21-03-08 10:49:02

Shazzer

I first drove to and from home on my 3rd lesson BUT it was a couple of days after christmas and very quiet in my area.
It improved my confidence no end, although I was scared stupid at the first thought of it, my instructor knew I was capable!

However, I usually have lessons from work, a busy town from a university with a train station directly there also, so didn't drive to and from there for another couple of lessons.

#28 21-03-08 13:42:41

Leprechaun

I did 5 hours in a simulator before starting proper lessons and even so i didn't drive home on my first or 2nd lesson. I was nearly driving home on my 3rd lesson when i steered a bit too sharply on a left hand corner (the simulator wasn't power steered but the car was) and i touched the kerb as i went round. I was half a mile from home and the ADI made me swap seats saying "you're obviously tired now". I didn't say anything but i was so disappointed to think i'd got that close to home (and away from all the major roads as it happens) when my driving was terminated sad

I didn't actually like that ADI anyway and didn't stay with him very long before going to the same ADI my friend had and i never looked back from then smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#29 21-03-08 14:41:08

jem
Verified Member

The DSA want to change this to make the ADIs details available plus what grade they are

Rarely do I let someone drive home after 2 hours but its has happened with very switched on pupils.

All too diplomatic for me........In 5 years Ive not come across a single pupil I could not talk back after the first lesson, if not on the first lessons definately on the second.

Target you posted both of the above quotes.

They seem complete opposite views.

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.

#30 21-03-08 18:43:51

Busheyfields
Verified Member
Website

I talk back the majority of my pupils at the end of their first 1½hr lesson, however I would stress I work in a relatively quiet area so could not envisage doing this if I was working in a city environment. It will all depend on where the learner lives and also their ability.

#31 21-03-08 21:19:46

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

For me, it depends entirely on the learner's skill & confidence, the location, traffic conditions.
And I ask them first, unless they have exceptional confidence & ability (it's not unusual to have a student who has illegally driven 'out bush' since old enough to reach the pedals).

When I first started nearly 13 years ago, an experienced instructor I worked with boasted "all my students drive home on their first lesson".
So I strove for that too, until I lost a student who rang me after her first lesson saying that I'd frightened her and that she had found a 'better instructor'.
This was embarrassing and a loud wake up call for me. I have learned to not get a "bee in the bonnet" over things like driving home on lesson 1, and to consider every aspect before making such decisions.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#32 27-03-08 14:22:00

gs1974

I agree, Zipper, and Shazzer has shown that it can have a positive benefit.

Some areas may well be far too busy to do it, but I try to get mine to drive home as soon as possible because it gives them confidence. I often ask them if they'd like to, assuring them that I'm there with the dual controls if they get stuck, and they usually jump at the chance. I had one a couple of weeks ago who didn't want to (though he could have done). He did the following lesson, and felt much better as a result.

No one is saying you should do it with the most nervous pupil on the planet, on the busiest road you can find in the busiest city in the UK, on the busiest day of the week and at the busiest time of the day. But if the ADI deems it safe to do so given circumstances that only he or she will be aware of, condemning it outright is equally as bad as forcing someone who can't do it to do so.

Each situation is different.

(And I, too, find it difficult to rationalise TargetADI's two very clear comments as they appear so contradictory  :? )

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#33 03-04-09 21:43:43

steved

All too diplomatic for me........In 5 years Ive not come across a single pupil I could not talk back after the first lesson, if not on the first lessons definately on the second.

A very sweeping statement to say the least.

#34 04-04-09 07:52:17

kjs
Verified Member
Website

All pupils are different. Some grasp it early, some later. I let my pupils drive home if, and when I think that they can handle the roads we are going to be using. It may be 2nd lesson, it may be the 10th, who knows. It depends on their capabilities, though I do think that in the main, once they have driven on the main roads, I can normally see a big difference in thier driving.

As to passing judgement on the OP's son's ADI, and with respect to the OP, I won't do that because we only have the OP's side of the story. If the ADI was to comment, we may find a different senario.

Sorry daba if this isn't what you want to hear, but I wish your son every success in his driving.

kjs

#35 04-04-09 08:38:01

Aspyre

looking at the dates of the last but one post i supose he miust have passed by now smile

#36 11-04-09 19:50:49

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

Have you never taken on a pupil who said "My old instructor took me out on busy roads too early, and I was terrified"? One size does not fit all!

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

#37 11-04-09 20:09:00

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Not often,in my experience;not being pushed hard enough or no progress usually.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#38 06-05-09 16:05:11

oldcodger
Verified Member

This IS an interesting read.

I am surprised at how many people were keen to lynch the ADI on the first page. Every instructor I have met is different. How many of us teach emergency stop on the second or third lesson? I do. Why? because I am old and may keel over at any moment. I would like to think that if a child ran into the road and I had snuffed it, my pupil would be capable of stopping without hitting the child.

The pupil mentioned in the original post has had 8 hours I believe. I have had pupils who haven't been ready to drive home for 20 hours or more and others that have done it on their second lesson. It depends on so many factors, but primarily their ability and the location of 'home'. I don't think anyone should be questioning the ADI as we don't know who it is or how good they are.

In 35 years I have had many pupils leave and go elsewhere for a multitude of reasons. I had a conversation with an ADI in the test centre many years ago who told me all about their pupils previous ADI. How she shouted at her, how she wouldn't let her use 3rd gear, how she didn't know most of the signs etc etc. That ADI was me! All of it was untrue and when this pupil returned from their test (having passed) I asked her about all this nonsense. She changed her tune and told the other ADI that she had meant her friends' ADI.

I too have on occasions taken a pupil who is struggling with control to an industrial estate and practiced slow speed moving, whether that be a TIR or just steering left and right. Clutch control is sometimes best helped along on a very quiet road. We must remember that 17 year olds know everything and when they say they are ready, they are (not). The mortuary is full of youngsters who know best.

As the original poster is of the impression that the ADI is ripping her son off, why don't they talk with the ADI rather than posting here? If they are professional they will not be offended in the slightest and I am sure they will suggest sitting in on the next drive to see for themsleves.

Love
Shirley x

#39 06-05-09 17:15:42

kjs
Verified Member
Website

good post oldcodger !

kevin

#40 08-05-09 11:57:36

RJHGT
Verified Member
Website

Well said oldcodger, I can't fault your post wink

Driver & Rider Training Centre www.rjhgroup.co.uk ADI Approved Driving Instructor Grade 5 (Car) DAS Direct Access Scheme Instructor (Motorcycle) DSA Driving Standards Agency- ATB Authorised Training Body (Motorcycle) RPMT Register of Post-test Motorcycle Trainer

#41 08-05-09 22:14:18

evanadi

I am concerned that my son's instructor is not allowing him to progress properly with his driving.

He has just come back from his 8th lesson (this one a 2 hour lesson, previous ones were 1 hour), and his instructor has not yet let him drive away from, or return to the house.

Instead the instructor is taking him to a very quiet industrial estate (it is a Sunday, after all), and is just practising manoeuvres. Then the instructor brings him back to the house.

In my opinion, he shouldn't be doing the manoeuvres until he can drive the car around adequately.

Your opinions please.....

Manoeuvres...............Teach a monkey to do them..........You are paying him to teach your son to drive. Teach manoeuvres when they can drive. Honest opinion yes he is taking him for a ride. If he isn't driving to and from the house he should not be messing about with stupid manoeuvres. (ok manoeuvre fans shoot me down). Ev

#42 08-05-09 23:02:37

KevB
Verified Member
Website

14 months on, and I'm kinda hoping he's passed by now.

Although I agree with Ev, someone needs to be reasonably competant at driving fowards before I entertain reversing.

Board footer