You are not logged in.

#1 04-05-09 17:26:05

machasm
Website

ADI Trailer training

I don't know if I have posted this in the correct section so please forgive me if I haven't.
I am looking to add trailer towing to my ADI qualification and don't know the first thing about it!
Do I need any extra formal training on top of my normal ADI qualification?
If so can anyone point me in the right direction where this info can be found please?
I have done a small search on the DSA website but so far haven't managed to find anything relating to ADIs only current license holders.
Thanks.

04-05-09 17:26:05

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: ADI Trailer training

#2 04-05-09 19:00:10

ExAdiNigel

Legally, you only need to have it on your licence.

Morally you need some experience.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#3 04-05-09 19:08:32

machasm
Website

Thanks AdiNigel.
TBH I wouldn't feel comfortable giving training to tow a vehicle even though I have it on my license as I don't have any experience.
Where/how would be the best way to gain that training myself?
Thanks.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 04-05-09 19:09:28

KevB
Verified Member
Website

As nigel says, you only need to have it on your licence.  (Unrestricted) for minimum of 3 years.

Currently, there is no formal Instructor qualification required, although this may be coming in the future.

The +E licence is classed as a vocational licence, and so the standard of driving is of a much higher standard than that of a B licence.

The actual test details can be found on the DFT website, and the off road part of the test will be explained in detail in DT1, available from DSA website.

#5 04-05-09 19:10:23

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Take some training with an experieinced trailer trainer.
What part of the country are you in, perhaps we can point you in the right direction.

#6 04-05-09 19:15:34

machasm
Website

I live in Poole.
Thanks for the help guys.

#7 24-05-09 19:15:11

daz6215
Verified Member

One of the hardest things to do is to actually find the land to practice the reversing exercise on, you need a fairly large area where you wont bother anyone!

Board footer