You are not logged in.

#1 30-04-09 15:27:59

Husker

Roundabouts

Hey Guys,

A quick question relating to roundabout entry points that are on a slight uphill slope.

Here is the scenario smile

I'm approaching a roundabout, the road leading up to the roundabout has a slight uphill slope. I use the brake to slow down but have to stop (even if I only have to stop for 2 seconds)... now obviously as soon as I take my foot off the brake the car would roll back. To counter this i have been putting the handbrake on, but this always causes me to miss my chance for pulling away and no doubt annoys those behind me as the queue gets bigger.

I have asked other drivers I know what they do, and the reply is always "Clutch control, find the biting point really quickly", this isn't something I can really practice as I am sure the instructor likes the back of his car just as much as the driver behind me likes the front of their car tongue

I wll ask my instructor what to do in situations like this, but I dont have a lesson until next week, and it is really bugging me.

Cheers

30-04-09 15:27:59

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Roundabouts

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 30-04-09 20:36:52

adi
Verified Member
Website

Brake on the approach with a view to almost stop at an 'imaginary' stop line a couple of metres earlier than the actual line. As you arrive at the imaginary line come off the brake (assuming you have slowed enough to not go flying across the roundabout!) and let the car roll gently up to the actual line. Whilst the car is rolling forward apply a slight amount of gas and find the biting point. As the car stops and is about to roll backwards, it won't, because you are now holding the car at the biting point.
A bit difficult to teach in 'words', but if you tell your instructor that this is something you want to master they should be able to help you no problem.

#3 30-04-09 22:39:19

evondoll
Verified Member
Website

Also it can be practised on a quiet road if your worried about someone hitting the back of the car!

I get pupils on a slight hill practising rolling the car to a stop, then getting bite point just before it stops. Or even when stationary, get bite, let handbrake go, dip clutch till car just starts to roll back and lift back to bite quickly.

Evon x

Board footer