You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#26 16-04-09 15:51:54

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Re: Double yellow lines?

What about reversing around a corner with double yellows on?

We have several round where I am with double yellows painted about 3m either side of the corner then no lines. You can easily stop on a non yellowed section of road, reverse round and finish on another non yellowed bit of road....

16-04-09 15:51:54

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#27 16-04-09 15:57:07

VandADI
Administrator

What about reversing around a corner with double yellows on?

We have several round where I am with double yellows painted about 3m either side of the corner then no lines. You can easily stop on a non yellowed section of road, reverse round and finish on another non yellowed bit of road....

We have a test route where Examiners will regularly use this type of corner to reverse around.

#28 29-04-09 06:34:58

oldcodger
Verified Member

Good heavens above!

Have I joined a childrens nursery? I am horrified by what I have just read in this thread. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves for being so rude to others. Some of you should be ashamed at yourselves for not knowing the rules regarding yellow lines. I don't think there is any need for people to personally insult anyone else is there?

The original question was whether it is appropriate to teach a moving off and stopping lesson on a double yellow line. Absolutely not. As one member quite rightly pointed out you should be instructing your pupil to select a SCALP. It is pointless trying to suggest that if they only stop for a moment and then drive on immediately it will all be ok. What kind of message is that giving the pupil and/or members of the public observing this?

The trainer that suggested this is wrong.

#29 29-04-09 08:46:16

fatimaadi

Yes it is sad some of the replies you get on this site.
People are set in their ways though.

We must to respect?
Part 1 76 47
Part 1 75 49
Part 1 94 57
Part 2 10 df
Part 2 8  df 2 s
Part 2 6 df
Part 3 2 3
Part 3 3 2
Part 3 4 4

#30 29-04-09 11:53:42

angleson
Verified Member

I think a lot of uncertainty exists because the DSA themselves breach the rules as mentioned earlier. Regardless of whether they "control" the area it's still the public highway. Our test centre has double yellow lines just outside where examiners ask candidates to pull up to explain the bay park requirements. In my own Part 3 I commented that the site chosen did not conform to SCALP but the examiner came out of role play and said "no it's ok".

#31 29-04-09 12:10:35

KevB
Verified Member
Website

If it is the public highway then the relevent laws apply to ALL, unless an exception exists in the legislation.

Parking up at begining or end of a test is not a relevent exception and the driver shouldn't really be stopping there. (Unlike during the test, where the car is not being parked, but stopped momentarily.

Unless road signs or markings permit test vehicles to be parked at that location the examiners are inciting an offence.

#32 29-04-09 21:46:25

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
I think,sometimes,we all do what is practical.
Any of us who teaches in a large city find areas that are suitable for new starters difficult to find.
I take alot of mine to a fairly unsuccessful,but ideal,new business park,[lots of room,wide roads,gentle turns and no real stressfull areas].
Trouble is,it has cycle lanes throughout;which i choose to ignore,[never seen a cyclist there].
Sometimes we do what we have to do. :angel:
Wouldn't use it for a check test though  roll.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#33 30-04-09 06:47:59

angleson
Verified Member

Sorry, Kevin. I didn't make myself very clear when I mentioned uncertainty above.

I was offering a reason as to why some ADI's, maybe less experienced, will be influenced by their more experienced peers, and in particular the examiners.

I would expect ALL of us to know the highway code! lol

#34 30-04-09 21:39:48

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi Snax
I will live with your disapproval :evil:
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#35 01-05-09 11:54:21

KevB
Verified Member
Website

Hi Snax,
As in many types of jobs, there is grey area in driving instruction.

Peter is hilighting an issue he has locally, that of not having suitable roads to carry out one of the fundamental tasks that of moving off and stopping to a complete beginner.

The lesson task benifits from a quiet location, with little traffic, distractions, or noise, but has plenty of kerb length to facilitate multpile move off and stopping without too many corners or obstructions.

He has a location within a reasonable distance of the clients home, but it has a cycle lane.
In this instance, provided the legalities are clearly defined, and the reason for training on what would normally be an unsuitable stretch of road is clearly understood by the client, then such a location, provided is safe and convenient could be used for the initial introduction of moving and stopping the vehicle.

I'm sure Peter quickly moves away from such a location and onto roads with driveways and other issues so that SCALP can be taught in appropriate locations, but for the intitial control aspect of the vehicle his cycleway road may be appropriate, although not ideal.

Sometimes we do have to make a balanced decision regarding what location can serve our purposes, taking into account the level of client, and the prevailing road and reaffic conditions available to use.

As you probably know, I'm a stickler for the book and regulations, but even I can appreciate that at times, an instructor may have to compromise when the ideal location, with ideal prevailing conditions at the ideal time is not available to us.
I'm sure Peter would rather not practice anywhere with a cycle lane, but if it meant having to drive 25 minutes into a 1hrs lesson just to find another suitable location, I would also consider Peters location.

Hopefully, this helps clear up Peters issues regarding location, balanced with your ideal of acceptable teaching conditions.

P.S.

Baring in mind, provided the cycleway is not a clearway, and that the training car is not being parked as in the legally defined meanings, Peter isn't actually breaking any parking restrictions or laws.

#36 01-05-09 15:21:12

Aspyre

another thing snaxmuppet.... i'll make a bet with you now that after you qualify, within 3 months youll be doing things diffrently to the way you think youll be doing them at the moment... and they wont seem wrong even if they might right now!

DEs stopping on yellow lines after the test is a prime example.

it always works out like that smile

#37 01-05-09 16:06:03

Aspyre

big_smile

But when you been doing it for more than 10 years and get old and bitter you can start going on about it again so dont worry  lol

#38 01-05-09 20:27:40

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi Snax
Of course tongue
Thanks Kevin,thats what i would of said if i wasn't a 1 finger typist!!!!!
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

Board footer