You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 25-02-09 21:18:58

my-pink-car

changing down gears at roundabouts

Hi All
My name is Debby and im new to this forum, iv'e been having trouble with my gears as im coming up to a roundabout.
I seem to get the whole slowing down and changing gears all wrong,i either come in too fast for which i panic and fluff my gears and end up coasting, or too slow and then im told im falling short....Just can not seem to get the balance right.

Please help, as i know there must be some tips on how to over come this :?
Iv'e had 14 lesson now and feel i should doing this with my eyes shut by now :x

Thanks Debby

25-02-09 21:18:58

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: changing down gears at roundabouts

#2 25-02-09 21:32:49

george
Verified Member
Website

Hi Debby,

You answered your own question in your post. Come in a bit slower to give your self more time to look, then choose you gear based on the spped. Don't worry about coasting. If your clutch is down but you controlling the car with the brake then your not coasting. Talk to your adi about it.

As for falling short, you need to remember the faster your going, the more brake you'll need. As speed reduces you can relieve some of the pressure of the brake pedal. It will all come good with practice. Again, talk to you ADI about it.

Paul Shackleton DSA ADI.-----DSA Fleet, Diamond Advanced, NVQ L3 In driver Training & Assessment, A1 & Ordit

#3 25-02-09 22:01:25

tony adi
Verified Member
Website

Roundabouts are just open junctions. Most pupils have problems with them to start with because they think they're something special, they're not. Just approach as you would an open junction.

At an open T junction or crossroads you would have to take 2 or 3 different directions into account, at a roundabout (usually) you give way to the right. In that respect they're easier than a open crossroads. If you think about the common 3 exit roundabout, all it is is a crossroads with a circle in the middle.

If your having trouble judging braking on approach, ask your instructor to find a nice quiet road where you can practice slowing to a fixed point (roadsign or lampost or any fixed object) dropping to 2nd or 3rd gear and accelerating again. Gets you used to judging braking pressure without the worry, then go back to trying roundabouts again.

www.selbydriving.co.uk

12.gif

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy
state of things.”
~ Winston Churchill

#4 25-02-09 23:22:56

Doc
Verified Member
Website

To add to the sound advice given so far, i would say that you need to know your limit points. What i mean is, you need to know what speed you will need and what gear will match that speed. What i teach is to brake to 10-15mph at approximately 4 car lengths from the roundabout and gently change gear to 2nd, which should take in approx 2 car lengths, leaving you 2 car lengths from the roundabout in which you would roll (foot off clutch and right foot hovering between brake and gas). While at this speed and rolling you can be looking at the roundabout and assessing your next move, which should be either gas to go or brake, clutch and 1st gear to give way to traffic already coming from the right on the roundabout. It will take a bit of practice but it should become easier as you go along and you will be able to develop more advanced skills from there.

#5 26-02-09 19:11:18

my-pink-car

Thanks everyone for your replys...
Had my lesson today and we had a chat about my problem with rounabouts,and the fact i just panic at them :x

We did so many today that im happy with the outcome, my gear change was much better and i feel a lot more confident about them,like you say they are much less effort than an open juction,which i might say has given me a whole new out look on them now  yikes  smile

I am ticking all the boxes on my driving and my adi has said we should start doing mock test as he thinks my test will be in the not so far off now :angel:

Thanks again all
Debby

#6 20-04-09 18:24:23

mazmw

Hi Debby my name is Maz and i am new to the forum i just wondered if you had passed your test yet and how you found the experience if you have.

Board footer