You are not logged in.

#1 18-04-09 16:55:52

jackrat
Verified Member

YARIS

Hello

I am due to change my car next month. I have a 1.2 corsa at the moment but I was looking at the Yaris. Does anyone use one and what are they like or would I be better off sticking with the Corsa as my pupils find it really easy to drive.

Thanks

18-04-09 16:55:52

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: YARIS

#2 18-04-09 20:30:03

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
I have always used a Yaris as a school car and love it.8 years.
I do agree with Snax that some may find it a bit sharp;but i like that.
I have used a Honda jazz on occasions and hated it;so dull.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 18-04-09 20:40:36

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

I'm on Yaris number 2. Both diesels, doing 40~45 hrs weekly using £70 of fuel per week.

Great car but I wouldn't reccomend the SR, the other models have an inch more clearance, important for speed bumps & TIR if client misjudges. Also tyres are 55 series, alloys are easy to scrape. If you get a yaris get a full size spare.

Do not agree that controls are too light or control is difficult. Its what you get used to, most clients will probably not experience a range of vehicles, so will not judge. 

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#4 18-04-09 20:47:23

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Have heard the diesil is real easy to drive;i have a petrol[spend alot more on fuel].
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#5 18-04-09 20:57:46

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

As others on this forum have stated its really hard to stall, clients after almost dumping the clutch turn the key ......................................... but it hasn't stalled!

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#6 27-10-09 23:14:22

ijmoore
Verified Member
Website

Just had 59 plate Yaris 1.33 Petrol with Start Stop as courtesy vehcile whilst my car is fixed after a young lady reversed into my car because she couldn't be bothered looking, over £1000 of claim! 

Only had it a day, but some good points, really good packaging in the interior, more space than my Fabia even though its smaller on the outside, lots of cubby holes, and flexibility with sliding seats increasing and decreasing boot/interior room.

Visability is excellent, controls are lovely and light, steering is nicely weighted, a great sized wheel and speed sensitive.

Wipers work backwards to most of the cars I have had, down instead of up for faster. 

Dials are clear and precise, but a little messy in their layout, differing colours and digital displays - speedo easily visable from the passenger seat though. 

Personally I feel the fit and finish is OK, but not very well weighted door handles everything feels slightly tinny, and feels it will not last all that long - perhaps a bit like a cheap childs toy?

Driving, been a petrol it is fairly easy to stall, but the clutch is precise and light, with a fairly short travel.  The brake is progressive and work well, the ABS is very eager to kick in though, the accelerator is light and has a fairly short travel too. 

The engine is a 1.33 Start Stop which only has 500 miles on it, so has not really run in yet, poor thing!  It is very tight, and has very little torque especially low end.  It is revy though, but needs working hard even for slight inclines.  It is currently using considerable amounts of fuel, 35mpg is fairly average, although I did manage 46mpg whilst trying to be economical. 

The Gearbox is 6 speed, and is easy to use, I think it is still a little tight as it is new, and sometimes doesn't quite engage.  Mostly it is accurate and quite good fun to use - believe me its a good job, it needs working hard to get anywhere!

The Start stop is good, if a little tempremental - sometimes it turns off, sometimes it does not.  It always starts quickly though and saves a little bit of fuel - i think this would be better in the diesel, squeezing more than 65mpg out of it.

I still haven't worked out how to change the clock......keeps changing the trip computer instead....PMs appriciated!

Overall a good tutition car....I wouldn't touch a petrol with a bargepole through!  Too thirsty and not powerful enough!

The Diesel I have driven and is OK, much better than the petrol, not really quick, but certainly more economical.  It is more torquey and easier to drive. 

Fleet Training
Iain Moore ADI Grade A, Fleet, RoSPA Tutor, DIAmond Ad, MSA National B Race License, EST Reg
fleet@learnmooredriving.co.uk 07999 992141

#7 29-03-10 12:35:02

Hale
Verified Member
Website

I have the 1.33 Yaris petrol manual.
Used to have a c shape corsa. You have to have gas and keep gas set whilst moving off. Some of my pupils were developing a bad habit of just clutching up on the corsa. Visibility is good although left point of turn is a little more obscured cos of the dash. Blind spot a little more narrow on the 3 door , though on the 5 door the door pillars are annoyingly right by you side as you glance sideways. Gears are easy to select and quite close together. Handbrake very easy to operate.

Word of warning though for instructors over 5ft 6inches the passenger seat doesnt go as far back as the drivers side and the duals can be difficult to use comfortably. Im only 5,4 and rest my heals on a small cushion so i can rest my left foot close to the brake.

When i say STOP, I can only mean ONE thing!

Part 1 - Passed Sept 2003
Part 2 - Passed Nov 2003
Part 3 - Failed Aug 2004
Part 3 - Passed Jan 2005

http://www.hayleys-driving-tuition.co.uk

#8 29-03-10 20:43:25

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

I have a 1.3 petrol yaris and get 56 MPG while I drive it, and 46 when pupils drive it.

I've had 3 and 5 door and think the 3 door has better visability, though I prefer driving the 5 door

For the clock: turn ignition lights on, press and hold the stalk sticking out just under the clock for 30 secconds, release it, the clock will flash, press the same stalk you held in to change the hours.  Leave it a couple of secconds and the minutes will flash and you can change them.

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#9 04-04-10 15:27:33

Hale
Verified Member
Website

After first 600 miles seems alot easier on the moving off and the biting point is alot easier to identify. Still need gas though to move off.
The clutch is very light hence why alot of pupils have been bringing it up to quickly.

Can just about manage manoeuvres using the clutch only, its ok to go uphill with just the clutch if your already on the move, but if its from standstill still need gas.

Will defo look into getting the T4-D model next time round as the mpg is quite bad on the 1.33.

When i say STOP, I can only mean ONE thing!

Part 1 - Passed Sept 2003
Part 2 - Passed Nov 2003
Part 3 - Failed Aug 2004
Part 3 - Passed Jan 2005

http://www.hayleys-driving-tuition.co.uk

Board footer