You are not logged in.

#1 12-04-09 22:39:08

driver3232

Advice needed on making a decision

Hi all, I am new to this forum and I am looking for some friendly advice on starting out to become a driving instructor. I am interested in hearing your experiences on the courses and exams to determine if it is worth my while. As many of us I am struggling in the recession and would really like to make a career change and become a driving instructor and wondering if it will be worth taking the course and which company to go with. I am currently weighing up my options and looking at the pass rate. many people i have spoken to, have told me that the pass rate on part 3 is low and costs a lot of money. please help!
many thanks
driver3232

12-04-09 22:39:08

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Advice needed on making a decision

#2 12-04-09 22:45:37

starpassdrivingschool

I would go for it what is your background career wise sorry need to ask because this will help me in my advice

#3 12-04-09 23:28:08

digit
Verified Member
Website

Hi driver 3232.
You have to ask yourself first ..... is this really what i want to do?
You are taking the right approach by asking on this forum. A lot of very experienced ADI's on here who will give you lots of good advice ( L plates not long off  big_smile).
There will be those who say go PAYG and those who say go for BIG BOYS.
Research ALL!            TAKE YOUR TIME.
Decided what suits you....your budget.....time you can give etc.
Me i trained with BSM and from my own point of view i could not fault my training or trainer. There are others who have went Indie, AA, I.T.C and all ........
It is a tough road but one thing that i can say is that it will not be a lonely one.
There are a lot of very nice people out there willing to give help and advice to those who listen.
If you take the step then your in for one hell of a ride!!!!
Welcome mate.

Donnie ADI.

#4 12-04-09 23:32:07

starpassdrivingschool

Asi said we all really want to help you there is a career to be made out of being a driving instructor but what course or company will suit you is really dependant on your skills from the previous job you have had  being a instructor all depends on communication if u can listen and learn and portray that on your part three you will pass we are all here to help and advise you good luck it is worth the hard work.

#5 13-04-09 14:15:37

nemo

well mate i just passed couple of weeks ago the pass rate are very low and its alot of money also it take alot of time too. don't want to put you off but think carefully before investing into this field.

#6 13-04-09 14:49:04

Spike
Verified Member

You say you're being hit by the recession. Why do you think being an ADI will be any different?

#7 13-04-09 16:28:51

starpassdrivingschool

The pass rates our low but my trainer said they were low because some companys will take on people that dont really have the communication skills for part three. That said if you really really want to become an adi and are willing to work hard and have the training hours required i think that you can make it. Alot of people  drop out and give up because they become dissalusioned and think they will not be able to make it as i say to all my pupils if you really want it you can get it. It is not cheap but the rewards of the job a great the feeling when a pupil passes is amazing and its great when u see them driving around on their own financially i dont find it is amazing but its o.k but that could be a weakness in my buisiness skills.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#8 13-04-09 17:18:10

evanadi

Hi all, I am new to this forum and I am looking for some friendly advice on starting out to become a driving instructor. I am interested in hearing your experiences on the courses and exams to determine if it is worth my while. As many of us I am struggling in the recession and would really like to make a career change and become a driving instructor and wondering if it will be worth taking the course and which company to go with. I am currently weighing up my options and looking at the pass rate. many people i have spoken to, have told me that the pass rate on part 3 is low and costs a lot of money. please help!
many thanks
driver3232

Hi driver3232,

You have made a very sensible first decision, in so much as you have joined a forum which costs nothing, you can ask advice, read posts and mark down the pro's and cons with regard to the job.

If you use a forum such as this to collate your facts first, it will give you a real advantage over someone who just picks up the phone and arranges training.

Whether PAYG to an independent trainer or go with a large company is better, really depends on who is doing the training with you, and how much effort you are prepared to put in yourself.

The cost of training to be an instructor appears quite high, (mainly because you are self-funding the course), compared to what it would cost to train a person in another field it could be considered quite reasonable or even cheap.

I would suggest that you read through as much as you can on the PDI boards on this forum. Make a note of the good points and what you consider bad points.

Consider the hours this job can and often does demand, you may find that when you qualify you are offering your services between 8am -  9pm, six or seven days a week, depending where you are and how much/little work you have.

It may be worth you going to have a chat with the Centre manager at one of the large companies (if there is one left near you), and seeing what they have to offer, see if you can chat to one or two of the local ADI's, I managed to do this before I trained and found them very helpful.

I am sure others will follow on and give you advice, which I have probably missed out. Its a good job, its rewarding, frustrating and at times you can work more hours then you would like, other times you wish you had more hours due to pupils passing their test etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Ev

#9 13-04-09 18:51:59

Doc
Verified Member
Website

As the others have said, do your homework and base your decision on the facts. There are many pitfalls that can easily be avoided if you ask the right questions. I did my research and was glad that i did, as i am now here to give advice to others such as yourself. Visit all the sites (LDC, AA, BSM and TIC) and see who of these guys are offering you the best prospects. Ask around of who are the independant trainers that come highly recommended. Give instructors of each company/trainer a call and ask of their opinions/experiences of the training course and see who impresses you. If you are considering a franchise, look to see who offers the cheapest or best deal that suits your situation.

#10 13-04-09 19:33:02

Leadplayer
Verified Member
Website

Hi Driver 3232

I did my training with BSM ( £2600 initial outlay ) their Instructor Trainers are now franchised and My Trainer was fantastic you are welcome to her contact details but she is in the Doncaster area

Firstly be aware of the possible earnings hype before you take the venture any further

30 / 32 hrs a week at £20 an hour for an average minus your outgoings

Franchise with vehicle varies from £180 to £350 per week with no guarunteed income

More independant operator

Vehicle Lease appx £340 per month

Franchise              £80 per week

Fuel                     £70 per week

advertising            £50 per month ( depends on your choice of course )

accountant           £35 per month

Tax and NI appx 30% of gross profit ( obviously after receipted outgoings )

My average business running costs are £7500 with no franchise ( this is where I have progressed to over the last 3 years )
                                                    £11500 with an £80 a week franchise
                                                    £19500 with a BSM all inclusive franchise ( this can be in the region of your first 20 hours work per week )

You realy need to consider are you the right person for this vocation long hours at the beck and call of when your potential customers are available for lessons ( remembering you will need to be flexible round their work commitments )

for me 30 / 32 hours a week can mean 7 days a week with sometimes 1 or 2 lessons per day other days 8am to 7pm

Bank Holidays ? what are they lol

The most Important thing to remember you are going to be working for the greatest slave driver you have ever known " YOU "

Don't get me wrong it is a great job the satisfaction and personnal satisfaction as your customers progress to Test Pass is fantastic but as with all jobs their are down sides being self employed is a great risk "You cant Work You don't Earn" there's no such thing as an Employed ADI even with the big names you are self employed you take all the financial risks

Dave Grade 5 DSA and I A M registered Instructor

#11 13-04-09 22:10:23

driver3232

HI to all just want to say thanks for all your responses it really helps alot to all your opions to help me deside where i should go for it or not. And to do my reserch on it all so every has been a big help thank you

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 13-04-09 22:30:43

driver69

The most Important thing to remember you are going to be working for the greatest slave driver you have ever known " YOU "

That is truest statement I have read in ages smile

How your perspective changes when YOU have to find the work and can`t take sick days just because you feel like a lie in. No work=no pay. Other than that it is an enjoyable job with no one telling you what to do and when you must have it done by.  And you are not arriving in work every morning threatening to tell your boss to stick his job where the sun don`t shine, or maybe that was just me  big_smile

#13 18-04-09 01:36:00

FAZ

hi
am training as an instructor,have passed the 1st 2 parts and am on the pink license,its fun when you have a good fast learner,but if you have a slow learner u in for a frustrating time,regarding the fees,i realy feel i shoulndt have paid upfront even though my fee wasnt much compared to the big companies,mine was 1500,plus test fees,once you paid then you got to do the chasing up,part 1 n 2 to be honest can be done by your self,part 3 you will need the training and this is where you realise if you can realy do it or not,my brother is also considering it and i have advised him to go on payg,he has been with an instructor as a passenger to see how he trains and the learner wasnt a fast learner,wow that broke my brothers confidence about this job,not putting you off but dont part away from your dosh until you see what teaching (part 3 )is about,also there are loads of trainers out there who would take you on payg,this crunchtime they want customers so take advantage of it,after my 40 hours ,i needed 20 more hours and i got a grade 6 adi/fleet trainer (aa)on payg,for £20 an hour.ITS THE BUYERS MARKET AT MOMENT SO HERE WE GO,hoping you all the best.faz

Board footer